2020 titles announced

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GaryH, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It'd be hard to go forward from Beyond without knowing their plans for the fourth movie, which may still get made eventually. But we've got three whole years to fill in between STID and STB, which seems like a perfect place for novels (aside from the lack of Jaylah).

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They stopped the Kelvin comics with Boldly Go #18 last April.

3. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally, I've always thought that B5 would mesh much better with TOS than with the TNG era, but to each their own. :)

Avro Arrow likes this.
  4. Landru1000

Landru1000 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wouldn’t hold my breath re: a new line of Kelvin books. Seems like the two Kelvin books are being used as stopgaps in the schedule until Pocket can figure out what to do with the 24th century line post-Picard. And with no new Kelvin films on the horizon, and not even a comic line anymore, I wonder how much interest there really is in the alternate timeline. But you never know.

5. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too, particularly as Babylon 5 is specifically set in the 2250s to 2260s (they remind us during the credits of every episode) and depicts an Earth that is relatively naive as to the real politik of their part of the universe (at least initially), so fits the "Early Federation" of TOS, or even the "first steps" of Enterprise, not the "established citizen of the Galaxy" of TNG+.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  6. Christopher

Even if that's true, the fact that the books can be published at all would seem to indicate that the situation that prevented Kelvin books in the past no longer applies.

7. David Weller

David Weller Commander Red Shirt

I’m hoping that To Lose the Earth will wrap up the Voyager relaunch.

8. Damian

Damian Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Jaylah was a great character. She was one of the reasons Beyond was my favorite Abramsverse movie (of course I'm a bit of an outlier since TMP is my forever favorite Trek film--and I liked Nemesis--that's not very common either ;) ). The only thing I didn't like about Beyond was "Sabotage" --sigh-- it was going so good until then, but I digress.

You know, you could still write a Jaylah book if you wanted ;) --though since it would have to be sans the Enterprise crew I guess that would be a challenge. You know, I wonder about Beyond in the prime universe. I have to imagine Krall is still simmering and Jaylah probably exists in this universe as well.

In some ways I'd love to see the Abramsverse characters (other than the main characters of course) appear in prime universe stories. What is Admiral Marcus in this universe for instance. Or Jaylah, or Krall. I'd love to see a Captain Robau series set in the prime universe (or even just a novel). What happened to him when he wasn't murdered by Nero? The Kelvin was a much larger ship with a larger crew at the time then was normal. Was there a prime universe reason for that (or for that stupid window on the bridge). Was it some sort of prototype ship? It'd be interesting to see an author tie all that together somehow.

Markonian and Leto_II like this.
  9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Jaylah is:) one of my favorite characters in Star Trek Beyond it would be nice to see her character appear in Kelvin books.

10. CriticalMyth

CriticalMyth Cadet Newbie

I get the distinct feeling that the 2020 TNG and VOY books are meant to bring the majority of the previous storylines to enough of a conclusion that the new direction that aligns with Picard and so forth can be determined, planned out a bit, and then executed with a relatively clean slate in the meantime. One can imagine where the TNG novel could, conceivably, wrap up the Titan line in many respects as well.

That leads to the question of whether or not DS9 and/or ENT will get a chance to wrap up. I'd be sad in both cases, but presumably the DS9 situation is more complicated since Picard and such could have an impact, even if it was indirect.

The nice thing about DISC and TOS books is that they could be inserted within the schedule with relatively little effect on the future direction that TNG/Picard requires, since they could be more self-contained.

Now what would be really interesting is to see if all this coordination, the challenge and opportunity it presents, and so forth is prompting a plan or vision that incorporates more than we realize...from DISC to Picard and everything in-between...?

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, there seemed to be quite a bit of interest and excitement when they announced that Pocket was going to be have access to the Kelvinverse at STLV last year, and again when they announced the two books last week.
    I'd be up for any of that.

Markonian, Damian and OCD Geek like this.
  12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somehow, I suspect it more likely it could be about the new future characters and what they were up to before Disco's arrival in the 32nd century.

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  13. King Daniel Beyond

King Daniel Beyond Fleet Admiral Admiral

Prequels to season 3 is a cool idea.
    They've got nine centuries to fill in:lol:

Avro Arrow and The Wormhole like this.
  14. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While possible, I think it's more likely that the producers would use like a Short Trek for that purpose, rather than a novel, especially since everything will have to be explained on screen for the Discovery characters. Use something that is more likely to reach all of Discovery's viewers, rather than the dedicated fans who buy the novels. I really think it's more likely that, until season three airs, any Discovery novel will be prequel material for the preexisting characters, not introducing new characters and settings.

DrCorby likes this.
  15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

We don't know when the season is premiering or when the book is being released. For all we know, the book will be released after the season premieres, making such a novel no different than Desperate Hours showing what the Shenzhou was up to a year before Vulcan Hello, or the recent Enterprise War detailing the Enterprise's activities during season 1 leading up mere hours prior to their arrival in the season 1 finale.

16. GaryH

GaryH Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would be very surprised if the next Discovery novels are not set during season 2 now that the novel writers have seen it and know what not to contradict.

17. Christopher

I'd be surprised if they were set during season 2, because it was very serialized with barely any room for additional stories between episodes. Recall that there were hardly any DS9 novels set during seasons 6-7 for that reason, even years later.

AJ Hawker likes this.
  18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see elements of Season 2 being explored, but not stories set during the actual season.

BuckBokaiLondonKings likes this.
  19. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

Good to see the Picard and Voyager books but sorry we won't see an Enterprise book. Been a long time.

Enterprise1701 and Leto_II like this.
  20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with Pooka I wish we'd have a new Enterpise novel someday.