‘Agents of Shield’ most popular superhero show on TV

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by gblews, Nov 9, 2018.

1. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

I don't agree. The pilot episode for "Friends" was not that memorable. Hell, I can say the same for "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Babylon 5" or "Angel".

Ever since the pilot episode of "Lost" aired, many people seemed to have this attitude that the first show of every series (especially if it is science-fiction/fantasy) has to be mind blowing. The problem is that every series I've seen with a mind blowing pilot or first season, seemed to decline in quality over the years to me. Including "Lost".

For me, the pilot episode of "Agents of SHIELD" was okay, but not particularly mind blowing. All it did was set up the characters and the season long story arc. Which was enough for me.

The Nth Doctor and Grendelsbayne like this.
  2. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A huge disadvantage does not mean the show is incapable of rebounding anyway. Which it clearly has.

First of all, this is moving the goalposts. The claim you made was that AoS's pilot *had* to be amazing because Joss 'Strikes Gold' with every tv episode he writes. Good enough isn't good enough to support the claim you're making.

So here are some Joss writtens episodes that were not by any means 'golden':

BtvS
    Welcome to the Hellmouth - Ok as proof of concept, still needs way more development.
    The Harvest - Ditto
    When She Was Bad - Generic and predictable
    Ted - Forgettable except for John Ritter
    Amends - Generic, predictable and soapy
    The Freshman - Honestly outright bad
    Chosen - It was a rousing finale, but with some glaring flaws.

Angel
    Spin the Bottle - It's ok.

Firefly
    The Message - it was ok at best.

Dollhouse
    All of it. Honestly, I find Dollhouse interesting enough as a concept that I'll rewatch it at least once more before I get rid of it, and its not a bad show overall, but there isn't a single 'excellent' episode in the entire show.

No it isn't because the Show is not the Pilot, and Joss' usual standards aren't even relevant to a show that he has *no real involvement in*.

Greg Cox and Turtletrekker like this.
  3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And frankly, while not amazing, the pilot was far from "garbage".

SolarisOne, gblews and Grendelsbayne like this.
  4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Most pilots I've seen have not been especially great, and that's okay. Pilots very rarely represent a show in its final form; more often than not they're more like proofs of concept, and the shows will usually drop what didn't work and expand upon/refine what did work. All they have to do is show me enough potential to make me want to give the rest of the show a chance, and that's what AoS' pilot did.

5. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Joss Whedon is one of my personal idols, and so I hold his work to a very high standard, and it is my firm belief that even a "mediocre" Joss -penned script is better than most other scriptwriters' work.

AoS' Pilot likely would not have been as disappointing if it had been (co)written by anyone other than Joss, but he didn't even make it to "mediocre" with the story.

Also: I will forever maintain that Dollhouse is Joss' best television series ever, and if you know my history and the love that I hold for some of his other shows, particularly Firefly, you'll recognize just how significant that statement is.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's perfectly reasonable to judge a show by its pilot when the pilot is the only thing you have to evaluate.

But five years down the road one should probably look at the bigger picture.

crookeddy, Thestral, Ovation and 7 others like this.
  7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Thread is too pedantic and contentious. Needs more pics of Daisy looking fine.

[​IMG]

That's better. :cool:

Snick27, gblews, jbny67 and 1 other person like this.
  8. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Whedon part is patently false. This is the same Whedon behind the failed Firefly, the failed Dollhouse, and let us not pretend Buffy was some masterclass in TV writing. He's far from even near-perfect as a creator or writer.

9. Turtletrekker

I have to admit to being on Agents of SHIELD withdrawal this season. My anticipation level for season 6 is exceeded only by my anticipation level for Avengers 4. About on par with Captain Marvel, which not coincidentally also features Agent Phil Coulson.

Agreed.

Let's see some love for Elizabeth Henstridge / Jemma Simmons as well. :adore:

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'm still crossing my fingers for a Coulson and team cameo during that mega-crossover scene they've been touting for The Untitled Sequel.

Silence to all of those who are going to say "but the movies and television are separate divisions!" Let me have my hope, damnit! :p

Booji, OCD Geek and Turtletrekker like this.
  11. DigificWriter

Neither Firefly nor Dollhouse "failed".

And Buffy is the first (and possibly only) television series to actually inspire education classes, so your opinion of it doesn't hold water.

USS Firefly likes this.
  12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

How can someone be so narrow minded?

SolarisOne and crookeddy like this.
  13. DigificWriter

What, exactly, is "narrow-minded" about the post you quoted?

14. Turtletrekker

gblews and Anwar like this.
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot that was all part of Season 1, I was thinking the Hydra stuff didn't start until Season 2.
    I'm very forgiving of pilots, they're almost never as good as the series becomes once it's really established itself. All I need from a pilot to get me to stick around is an interesting concept, and good characters, and AoS had both of those.

16. Turtletrekker

Tom Bacon, who wrote the article for Screenrant and also happens to be an Admin in the Marvel Cinematic Universe group on Facebook, elaborated on the process in a post there. The methodology seems sound and thorough to me...

He also noted that he is be going into Parrot's findings on the Arrowverse and eventually possibly Trek as well.

17. TREK_GOD_1

Both short-lived and cancelled. By any official measure, both failed. Fandom for Whedon does not spin that fact.

What? Please do yourself and brush up on TV history, and you will find that your quote is not even orbiting reality, and does not make Buffy some sort of example of great writing

18. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Got my son hooked on the series now. He loves it and loved season 4. They have to get Ghost Rider back. Anyway has there been any news about storylines for next season and how long is the season going to be? I heard 10 but I hope that isn't true, that too short and sounds like they are going to end the show which is horrible. This is the only Marvel show I watch and cant stand the Netflix series. And when is Disney going to go all DC and put their shows on a streaming site?

19. DigificWriter

Firefly was not cancelled; it was deliberately sabotaged.

And FOX allowed Dollhouse a full two seasons to tell a complete story.

Stating these things is not spin; it is stating fact.

[QUOTEWhat? Please do yourself and brush up on TV history, and you will find that your quote is not even orbiting reality, and does not make Buffy some sort of example of great writing[/QUOTE]

You've clearly never heard of Buffy Studies.

Also, give me one example of another television series that preceded Buffy and actually inspired academic research and study.

20. TREK_GOD_1

Firefly was cancelled.

From Hollywood Reporter interviews:

Baldwin:

Fillion:

Please stick to the facts. Firefly was cancelled. There's no mystery, hoodoo or alternate universe course of events. It was cancelled.

Dollhouse was cancelled. This was not intended to be a short run series (which was not "full" with the last 13 produced); the ratings were abysmal and it was canceled.

No, the fact is that two Whedon series were unsuccessful and cancelled. No fan hand-waving alters that.

Clearly, you have never heard of Philosophy and Star Trek, which is far from the only college course based on the franchise. There's courses on soap operas (University of Wisconsin) and other TV productions. Again, brush up on TV real TV history. Buffy is not remotely unique in this category.

Gaith likes this.