Your wish list for a new series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by TrekGuide.com, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Navarro

Navarro Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here you go:

I felt that the MACOs on Enteprise were the best representation of what Starfleet Security should be, which I've always thought should take on a persona which could be realistically described as Stellar Marines. You've got no guards consistently posted to the bridge, engineering the captain's quarters or any other sensitive areas. You've got no guards assigned to the captain or other important figures. Of the guards you do have, we haven't seen any of them wearing protective equipment like body armor or helmets since the original films. Instead, they're just walking around in their colorful uniforms, and don't even bother to wear camouflage on those occasions which they beam down to the surfaces of hostile or potentially hostile planets.

It only makes sense from a budget standpoint. I'd like to see any future series invest in fighting equipment like Enterprise did, but unlike Enterprise, post those forces around the ship. What's more, I'd like to see combat teams deployed more often instead of bridge officers. We'll still have plenty of time to see our tech-savvy, scientists in uniform "nerd characters" and now we'll also have the opportunity to see a new set of main characters, highly trained meathead soldiers tactfully wrecking the enemy on the planet below. You know, you can sometimes send the ship's doctor as a combat medic or the first officer to lead these marines, but it doesn't make sense to clear the bridge every time you send out an away mission. Make a set of ship main characters, and another set of ground main characters, and let them all support one another.

2. Swarm Emperor

Swarm Emperor Ensign Red Shirt

This. Though I in no way want to see class Star Trek aliens get the shaft, new species that simply look like people with bumps in their head should be kept to a minimum. Voyager managed this well by emphasizing an overarching sense of shared humanity when it came to the less exotic peoples of the Delta Quadrant, but in an age of GoT and TWD, realistic-looking monsters on TV are no longer a pipe dream. If it were up to me, the new series would see alot more teeth and tentacles than we've gotten in the past, and alot more instances where the universal translator is inadequate.

If we were to go down the route of a post-Nemesis series, here's how I would have it be. The Federation has exploded in terms of territory and power, bringing in hundreds of new species and worlds. Old rivals are now almost vassals of the Federation, and while they are still technically allies, the Klingons are very much junior partners to the Federation. Though the core values and tactics of the Federation remain intact, the creation of larger, more powerful exploration vessels has some debating whether or not the Federation has become too aggressive. As it goes deeper and deeper into space, the Federation delegates more authority to local governments, tasking them with building new ships and continuing exploration. Real problems start when newly incorporated peoples start to use Starfleet resources to continue old grudges, gradually drawing bits of the Federation into dozens of small conflicts. The series could be a DS9-style storyline, with the focus being on one of these outposts where tensions exist between older Federation species and newer ones who don't know as much about Federation protocol but who are necessary to navigating the complex politics of the region. Exploration continues for a while, but when the Federation gets drawn into a major war with several alien polities, this outpost finds itself on the front lines. A major crisis ensues when the President and several prominent members of the Council are killed, with the new government proving itself completely incompetent. A coalition is formed among several of the new species and a number of bellicose old species, and together they form a new government that radically shifts the Federation towards a more militaristic stance. The Federation starts to win battles, but with prodding from some of the outlying territories, what began as a fight to protect the Federation soon delves into a war of conquest, with chunks of Starfleet going to local elites who use their new ships to establish protectorates over old enemies. Outrage on Earth at this behavior is gradually muted as loot from the new conquests trickles back and many people are able to find advancement in the new provincial military structures. Those who oppose this new order fight back with politics and some with weapons, leading to escalating micro civil wars within the Federation. This has a ripple effect, as Romulan, Klingon, and Cardassian factions join in with the hope of glory and plunder, though the official governments of these people stay mostly neutral. The remain Starfleet captains and worlds still loyal to the old values of the Federation now must do what they can to rectify the situation, with the outpost featured at the center of the show being crucial to ending the conflict.

3. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

I'm probably not thinking very 'big' here, but I've had a growing interest to see the adventures of Kirk's first command in the Prime Timeline, before taking command of the Enterprise.

I think the assumption has always been that he did command a vessel before the Enterprise in the early 2260's (as briefly mentioned in Where No Man Has Gone Before,) and with the Kelvin Timeline films actually taking place in this time-frame, it would be fun to see the Prime Timeline adventures of this period, albeit on a different ship and not the Enterprise.

You can have familiar characters like Kirk, McCoy and Gary Mitchell (played by new actors, obviously), as well and brand new characters.

Hey, if Discovery is a hit, there will be interest in more spinoffs, and I'm sure they'd want to keep it close to the same time-frame as Discovery, so I think it's a suggestion with considering. =D

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well-written religious characters, even if it's a one off. For once, a Christian (possibly an officer) that shows the good side of Christianity, rather than the worst we're capable of.

Refuge and Ralphis like this.
  5. velour

velour Commander Red Shirt

I would like to see some "monster of the week" episodes.

I am going to borrow a term from the Aliens movie, xenomorph. Wouldn't it be reasonable that a Starfleet crew would occasionally encounter aliens that are beasts, monsters or xenomorphs? It would be fun to see a Starfleet crew fight off scary xenomorphs.

Before their ridged and smooth foreheads, the TNG ep "Genesis" showed that, at one point, in Klingon evolution, Klingons were monstrous beasts. Who knows, maybe there were space explorers that encountered those beastly Klingons. Chances are, there are still plenty of monsters in the universe that are awaiting an encounter with a Starfleet crew.

The TOS ep "Galileo Seven" was sort of a "monster" ep, but not really.

Not every Trek story has to be high-brow. That's not to say that a story involving an encounter with a xenomorph would necessarily be low-brow, if done intelligently.

6. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, it should be : - set after after Nemesis with a regular presence of Admiral Janeway, with Seven, Tuvok, Rikers, Troi, Dr Crushers etc..., as recurring roles in order not to be too much desoriented
    - about the exploration of a new quadrant or an existing universe still unknown by the Federation, in order to be known and to weave new alliances,
    - aboard a generational ship with families and inviduals coming from Starfleet and the civil society and from different species (Bajorans, Vucans, Klingons, Betazoids, Hirogens, etc .... and of course Humans). No matter the skin color, the gender and/or religion but just so a mix of people coming from diverse horizons with different purposes and who, during the time of this exploration, will live together (even if It doesn't prevent serious conflicts within the crew) some unique experiences, which will change the way they think and/or act. And please, no more artificial intelligence like The Doctor or Data or Bashir. Enough is enough!
    Why not including Miral or better, because so much unexpected, Janeway's (legitimate or adopted) child serving as a young Enseign aboard, o get a permanent link between the vessel and <-> Starfleet HQ and to show the continuity in the change,
    - the presence of the Section 31 aboard and at Starfleet HQ to create an additon strain, to provoke conflicts between species, with the Starfleet, between members of the crew etc...
    - to try to favor the quality to the quantity with only 13 episodes per season with gasping cliffhanger at the end of each season.
    - believable (stories and lovestories, characters, conflicts, etc...)

7. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope that the next Trek series after Discover is post-VOY/Nemesis.

8. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's a series idea:

Seven of Nine's daughter is arrested for a capital crime that she swears she didn't commit. Seven of Nine is approached by Section 31 and offered a deal. If she takes command of a ship with an entirely transhuman crew (many of whom have undergone illegal genetic manipulation and other illicit modifications) and performs black ops missions for Section 31, they will make the charges against her daughter go away. Seven agrees, but only if her daughter is made part of the crew (so she can keep an eye on her because she doesn't trust Section 31 and suspects they framed her daughter in the first place).