Your thoughts on the end of the DVD releases in sight

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Dec 6, 2011.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I also think they should do some DVD releases of some of the semi-professional spin-offs from the 1990s, like The Airzone Solution, Downtime, Mindgame, P.R.O.B.E., Shakedown, The Stranger, & Wartime. They could package a bunch of them together and call it "The Wilderness Years (1990-2004)."

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's up to 8, makes me feel a bit better that it's decent for my exchange. Still craps out when streaming Lovefilm.

It will be a good while yet before we are all streaming everything direct.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm relieved that they're finally releasing The Greatest Show in the Galaxy as I've been waiting to see that one on DVD for ages.

4. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is they are all owned by different companies. But excluding Downtime, Wartime and Shakedown I think the rest are out now.

5. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This seemed to be the most appropriate thread to post this in, but come October there'll be another one fewer DVD to countdown, and its coming out this year in full glorious colour!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128473&pf_rd_i=468294
    No indication as to the extras though.
    Also my suspicions have been confirmed, if you glance down the page you'll see a reference to a special edition of The Claws of Axos.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

They're colorizing the remaining black and white parts?

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I believe they have a process for determining the actual color data encoded even on the black and white footage so it's more of a restoration than a colorization.

8. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://colourrecovery.wikispaces.com/Processed+programmes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_dots

9. Candlelight

I'm very keen to see this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Planet-Giants-DVD/dp/B007Z10IMW/ref=pd_sim_d_h__5

Mostly for the extras:

10. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, OK, I knew they were working on the Colour restoration for something, but, I thought it bombed out and they gave up on it

11. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't think that but I did think that the colourisation for this and Mind of Evil was going to take longer than expected and T believe that I read instead of releasing one story this year and the other next, they were going to release both next year. I guess if this was correct they were able to revert to their original plans, which is fine by me :).

12. The Borgified Corpse

I thought I had heard somewhere that not all of the episodes had chroma dot information because some of them had it filtered out like they were supposed to do with all of them in the first place.

I suspect this could be overcome. There used to be a huge problem with releasing the 1996 Paul McGann movie in the U.S. because it was owned by Universal. But a couple years ago 2|entertain was finally able to work it out. I suspect the same could happen with the other spin-offs.

It would be a win-win. 2|entertain would have new Doctor Who content to release and the other companies would get a new release of their material that would sell better now that 2|entertain is putting the official Doctor Who logo on it.

Not in the U.S. they aren't. The only ones I could find a DVD for on the American Amazon.com were The Airzone Solution & The Stranger. And I'm not even sure those two are strictly aboveboard.

13. Candlelight

Only The Mind of Evil ep1 is affected by the lack of chroma dots, and that ep is being coloured by hand by Babelfish/the restoration team.

14. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hah, when my next Amazon delivery comes I will have all the DVD releases to date.

My thoughts are I'll be glad I can stop spending money on these DVD's when the last 5 releases come out.

Is it 3 more this year then the last 2 next year?

15. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

When they're done with the serials, they should release relatively cheap and barren sets, season by season.

16. The Borgified Corpse

I suspect this may be the next step after they're done rereleasing some of their early Pertwee releases, like "Inferno" & "The Claws of Axos." And I suspect they'll probably start with Tom Baker's 1st year and follow from there. It would be a good way to scoop up all of those stragglers who were holding off until season sets were available.

"Planet of the Giants," "The Ambassadors of Death," & "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" are all coming out this year. "The Mind of Evil" & "Terror of the Zygons" don't have an official release date set (at least not in R1). Does anyone know why they've waited so long to release "Terror of the Zygons"?

17. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They wanted to save a fan favourite for the end.

18. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

One of the pluses with Terror Of The Zygons though is that we'll be getting a director's cut of the first ep.. I'm hoping that means we'll get to see the invisible TARDIS scene that was in the novel.

19. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good bet, so long as the footage exists. The only reason it was cut in the first place was that the weather changed so much between shooting the 'invisible' and 'visible' sequences that they couldn't be cut together convincingly, and nowadays that sort of thing can be sorted out by a digital regrade pretty easily.

20. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes its been located. It's the only addition to the new cut, but its been included with the episode (rather than on its own) as it had music recorded for it and everything