Your thoughts on the end of the DVD releases in sight

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Candlelight, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I bet there will always be ways to re-release stuff for DW. Especially when you have 32 or 33 seasons to deal with(I've lost count so someone can correct me)

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, you haven't lost count, 26 Series of Classic Who, and 6 of NuWho (If you count the Tennant Specials year as part of S4), so, you're right on target.

Hopefully they will continue animating the missing stories, though, I've gotta say, I haven't really enjoyed any of the historicals (including the missing ones that I've watched Fan reconstructions of) other than The Aztecs, which is one of my favorite Hartnell stories, and The Romans was pretty funny. So, I'm in no hurry for the missing Historicals, but, the SciFi-ish ones, I anxiously await.
    10th Planet - Only missing 1 episode
    The Moonbase - only missing 2 episodes (Though the Animated Talking Telesnaps Fan Reconstruction is the next best thing)
    The Ice Warriors - only missing 2 episodes (Reconstruction of this one for Episode 2 and 3 is only 17 minutes combined. Is the rest of the Audio lost, as well as the video?)
    And all the other stories with more missing episodes.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The idea behind putting SD material on Blu-Ray is not to artificially increase the resolution (e.g. blowing it up) but rather to be able to fit more content on fewer discs.

Mr Awe

4. Zeppster

I would also like to see the missing episodes linked with animated episodes or some of them. There's probably some that nobody would really care and the reconstructions already done do those service anyway. But I'm not really gonna hold my breath since we've only really seen one of those so far.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Well, they're working on Reign of Terror, so that's actually 2 of them.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

The Moonbase was already released on the Lost in Time set in 2004. The BBC are only considering the four stories which have more than 50% surviving, namely The Reign of Terror, The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors & The Invasion.

All audio from all missing episodes exist.

7. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ignorance shouldn't dictate what should and shouldn't be released on it.

So shows that will never be up to HD quility should never be released on it. So what happens once DVD goes away? SD contant should never be realeased again? That's rather stupid and narrow-minded.

8. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

i just started to get the dvds for the 1st doctor,dont think i will be able to get all of the doctors on dvd in 2 years.

9. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

All of the existing copies aren't going to disintegrate the second that new releases cease.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In two years they'll be done releasing everything they plan to release. They're not going to stop selling the DVDs all together.

11. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    what about itunes? Are they planning to release all of classic Who on itunes?

13. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

14. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Dan Hall said he's going to have to think about how best to bring it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6dZci_hddo

My hope would be if thetamation's process proves economical, Menace could have a release as an animated recon.

No idea about G4 though. Easiest would be to whack it onto the Shada release I guess.

15. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

I've been renting them just now and I'm only up as far the Pertwee years, adding any new releases for Hartnell and Troughton to my rental list when they get released. At the rate I'm going, by the time I get to the 8th Doctor, there'll be a New Doctor on screen, which is why I'm hoping for a Box Set release for all the currently released DVD's as at the moment I can't afford to pay out around £12 - £14 a serial just now and I don't have the Bandwith to download them.

16. Zeppster

There's only a movie for the 8th doctor that wasn't very good. Unless you count the audio stuff done for him.

17. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Holy frak, according to Amazon The Daemons are coming! I was under the impression that gem was not out this year but as the following link implies it will be among a plethora of other releases over the next 13 weeks or so including the Face of Evil.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-...ef=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1324319371&sr=1-1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-...ef=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1324319593&sr=1-2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Sensorites-William-Hartnell/dp/B006H4R9HA/ref=pd_cp_d_h__2

18. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

There was also the animated version of Shada starring Paul McGann and Lalla Ward. I think it was supposed to get a DVD release alongside Scream of the Shalka until BBC Video cancelled the Shalka release after the new series was announced and plans for more animated webcasts starring Richard E. Grant as the 9th Doctor were shelved. We haven't seen any confirmed information as to what the upcoming Shada DVD is going to include. Presumably Tom Baker's recorded links from the early 90s will be part of the extra features, but now that 2 Entertain is all chummy with Big Finish (who produced the audio for the McGann version of Shada) I wonder if they might try and sneak the Shada webcast on there, too?

The TARDIS Library website shows a March 26 release in the UK (presumably North America in early April). I agree, I thought Daemons was announced as being pulled from the 2012 schedule, but I guess they changed their minds.

Alex

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And it's about damn time, too. The Face of Evil is one of my favorite serials. Too bad Amazon doesn't show who's on the commentary but hopefully it's at least Tom and Louise.

I'm also looking forward to The Sensorites and hope that both Carole and William are doing the commentary for it.

I can only hope it is. I love both versions of Shada and I would be very disappointed if they don't include it.

20. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a fan of both Tom Baker's version (the 1990s rare VHS release) and the Paul McGann webcast, I echo and second that. I also figure once all the available stories are out on DVD they will go and blue ray them. *shudder*