Your annual vacation/holidays

I get almost 5 weeks a year. My wife & I are going with both our mothers (everyone gets along) on a tour of Southern Italy in late September/early October. The tour starts in Rome, does a circle through Southern Italy & ends in Naples. That’ll be about 2 1/2 weeks.

For the rest of the time we’ll probably do something local as the trip will be fairly expensive.

I like doing weekend trips to interesting destinations a few hours' drive away. To cut down on costs, I pack a cooler with a lot of my own food and only buy a couple meals during my stay. And I find dirt-cheap rooms through Expedia or Priceline.

Kor

I get 26 days of paid vacation and 12 paid "holidays" every year, but I've hardly done any traveling. What gives?! :wah:

By the way, my employer has a 400-hour cap on vacation accruals. Anything above 400, it's paid out in cash or employee must take time off.

Last edited:
thankfully it rolls over to the next year. For the first few years I worked here I rarely took a vacation, so I have lot of hours built up now.

We used to have that too, but some people who had been there a long time accumulated up to 10 weeks vacation. The company decided they didn't like that, so they switched us to "use it or lose it".

We used to have that too, but some people who had been there a long time accumulated up to 10 weeks vacation. The company decided they didn't like that, so they switched us to "use it or lose it".
Where I work you have to have a very good reason for not taking your leave, they consider it a health issue. I never understand folks who never take leave as if they own the business they work for (when they do not). No worker is irreplaceable so take your leave folks!

Where I work you have to have a very good reason for not taking your leave, they consider it a health issue. I never understand folks who never take leave as if they own the business they work for (when they do not). No worker is irreplaceable so take your leave folks!

While I don't travel much, I certainly use up all my paid leave by the end of the calendar year, but mostly on staycations.

For me, my primary reason for not traveling more is that it's too expensive to go on solo trips. Hotel room rates and cruises are based on double occupancy, and as a single person, I'm practically paying for two! I've been able to travel with a family member before, but it's not easy to coordinate our schedules.

I don't have any serious health issues yet, but I want to prevent them. So I'm looking forward to my trip to Austria in June.

While I don't travel much, I certainly use up all my paid leave by the end of the calendar year, but mostly on staycations.

For me, my primary reason for not traveling more is that it's too expensive to go on solo trips. Hotel room rates and cruises are based on double occupancy, and as a single person, I'm practically paying for two! I've been able to travel with a family member before, but it's not easy to coordinate our schedules.

Quite understandable. Maybe you can travel one day again, with a friend or fellow.

Yep travelling isn't always cost effective for single people but perhaps that might be changing slowly as more people are single than say 20 years ago.

Yeah, I end up accumulating a lot of vacation time since I only want to use it if I'm going traveling, and I don't travel all that often. I would rather get more work done than take a "staycation" and do nothing at home.

Kor

Have you ever tried Airbnb? They have some wonderful rooms for single people! I have had nothing but amazing experiences using them to stay at peoples' homes when travelling by myself.

Yeah, I end up accumulating a lot of vacation time since I only want to use it if I'm going traveling, and I don't travel all that often. I would rather get more work done than take a "staycation" and do nothing at home.

Kor

I assume you live in the U.S. Like many industrialized countries, the focus appears to be more on doing rather than being. I can somewhat relate to this, as there are weekends and holidays when I'm not used to not doing anything.

Have you ever tried Airbnb? They have some wonderful rooms for single people! I have had nothing but amazing experiences using them to stay at peoples' homes when travelling by myself.

I haven't looked into it, but that appears to become more popular these days.

I haven't looked into it, but that appears to become more popular these days.
Admittedly though I've never used it outside the United States or Canada, so I don't know how safe it is internationally! I do my research to make sure the host is a woman and there are reviews from single women who've stayed there, but you probably don't have to worry about that lol. It's been wonderful though! Every host I've ever stayed with has been so kind and warm, you get personal touches you don't see at hotels, and the beds are usually so very much more comfortable (hotels are all stiff and dry, even expensive ones, yech).

I have a friend who traveled to various places in Europe last year (Budapest, Madrid, Bratislava). Granted, he went with a group. He said they actually stayed in hostels. I thought, oh my, I'm not that adventurous.

Depending on where you go hostels can be more expensive than air bnb's. It always pays to check both :)

I've often just stayed at whatever pops up on booking.com or agoda as a bargain offer for that night, if a place hasn't sold out they may have it set to offer at half price. Stayed in some winners doing that, hostels, love hotels, and oddments. Just keep yourself logged in. Of course I do read reviews first.

Hostels usually have small private rooms available too, if you aren't up to bunking in a big shared room with a bunch of other people.

Kor

Back