You know what REALLY SUCKS about TOS???

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Chrisisall, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I like the fact that we rarely see really alien-looking aliens. It helps make Mr. Spock seem more alien. Too many weird-looking creatures and Spock looks human by comparison.

2. jtkirk

jtkirk Captain Captain

I didn't read all the posts, so this may have been mentioned. What always bothered me was the fake wallpaper (?) shoved up in the Enterprises windows. It was painted to look like space, but was often visibly wrinkled in areas & that always bothered me. It's a shame they didn't fix this when they updated the fx.

3. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

^ Fake wallpaper? I don't know what you're talking about. Can you name any specific episodes? The images of stars going by on the main bridge viewscreen were animations that were matted in. Some of the overhead display screens on the bridge were rigged to show rear-projected slides. A few episodes used painted space backdrops behind windows, but they didn't look any more "fake" than similar effects in Lost In Space, for example.

4. jtkirk

jtkirk Captain Captain

This is what I was referring to.

[​IMG]

5. jtkirk

jtkirk Captain Captain

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

JtKirk, those aren't supposed to be windows.

7. jtkirk

jtkirk Captain Captain

I didn't mean windows literally, but aren't they supposed to be like display monitors?

8. jtkirk

jtkirk Captain Captain

The correct terminology is Overhead Displays. I found a blueprint of the bridge online. :)

Anyway, my point is that the overhead display looks rather fake, like it's wallpaper.

9. jwb

jwb Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yes, display monitors.

And after reading through this whole thread, I'll say I agree with 90% of what's been said here. However, I must name my least favorite episode: And the Children Shall Lead. To quote a certain Vulcan... "Pain!" I find it so boring, sad, and lacking anything I'd want to watch it for.

Other things random things that annoy me:
    -the Galileo interior set doesn't match the exterior shots of the model
    -The Cage was butchered in the editing room so they could get it down to 50 minutes and have another episode in the syndication package. I wish they would have left it alone and let fans see it as part of the Menagerie.
    - At the end of the episode Galileo 7, Kirk lets out a sign of relief and smiles when he learns that five people of the seven have been beamed aboard, apparently not caring about the other two (or even which two they are or whether they're still alive on the planet), and then, after stalling the whole episode until supposedly the last minute to deliver medical supplies, asks for warp 1! (Okay, so I'm nitpicky.)
    -We never get to see the Enteprise bowling alley hinted at in The Naked Time
    -We never got to see an "All Good Things" finale
    -There are only 79 episodes!

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You mean Picard's show?

It's a good thing we have the internet... otherwise we'd have to meet up in person and talk in person about how TV shows made 50 years ago suck.