You know what? Let's do it again. Predict the number of seasons Strange New Worlds will run.

How many seasons will STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS run?

• Two. Doomcock dines on ashes. Or something.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Three. There's reason to believe it's going behind the camera again soon, but alas, this is it.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • Four. There. Are. Four. Seasons.

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Five. Just call it the new seven.

Votes: 66 54.5%
  • Six. Just shy of the old seven.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Seven. Call it... er, the old seven.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Eight or more. Strange New Worlds forever.

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
Considering the news of Prodigy yesterday, I still think it will get a third season, but it might be a short third season (That, and the writers strike). If they do have a short season planned, I want them to do a Torchwood: Children of Earth type season and extend the episodes.
There is no set air/stream date. Unless they ultimately decide to cancel SNW outright, once the strike ends, they'll shoot and produce 10 episodes like all their other streaming series.

Even as they are shopping Prodigy around, they haven't cut any eps for the post production pipeline.

There is no set air/stream date. Unless they ultimately decide to cancel SNW outright, once the strike ends, they'll shoot and produce 10 episodes like all their other streaming series.

Even as they are shopping Prodigy around, they haven't cut any eps for the post production pipeline.

Are they beholden to 10 though? I guess SNW has been renewed, but Prodigy was also renewed. P+ could just easily come out and say give us only 6 episodes and this will be the final season, or like you said they can cancel it out right. They are looking for ways to trim costs, after all.

Are they beholden to 10 though? I guess SNW has been renewed, but Prodigy was also renewed. P+ could just easily come out and say give us only 6 episodes and this will be the final season, or like you said they can cancel it out right. They are looking for ways to trim costs, after all.
But as I said, even though P+ is not airing Prodigy S2, they are completing post production on every episode that was recorded for S2.

Also, I believe some actual stuff was filmed for SNW S3 just before the WGA strike went into effect and all production paused.

You can't compare the two shows because I don't think Prodigy as an animated kids show was drawing enough viewers to justify its cost. They aren't going to cancel SNW because that would be canceling all live action Trek. New Star Trek is one of the biggest drivers to their service and if they eliminate that then there's really nothing left to keep fans there. Seeing how popular SNW is, it would be an incredibly stupid move. I certainly wouldn't keep my sub because it's the only reason I even have one in the first place.

But as I said, even though P+ is not airing Prodigy S2, they are completing post production on every episode that was recorded for S2.

Not sure how it works/relationship but is it P+ completing post production or is it the studios (Secret Hideout ). And it is the studios who are going to shop the show around.

Not sure how it works/relationship but is it P+ completing post production or is it the studios (Secret Hideout ). And it is the studios who are going to shop the show around.

From the Hollywood Reporter article:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/t...gy-queen-of-the-universe-the-game-1235522633/
...The series will complete postproduction on season two, and producer CBS Studios will shop both seasons to a new buyer. Paramount+ remains the home for the sprawling franchise with recently announced orders for a Star Trek: Section 31 movie and young-adult skewing show Star Trek: Starfleet Academy joining a slate that also includes Strange New Worlds, animated Lower Decks and the final season of the flagship, Discovery...

Sounds like a contractual agreement to finish the show, with CBS Studios being a good friend by offering the product to interested buyers.

Sounds like a contractual agreement to finish the show, with CBS Studios being a good friend by offering the product to interested buyers.
In the end I suppose they figure they will lose less money by selling the rights, then keeping and airing the second season of the show (with the licensing fees and residual payments involved in doing so.)

But yeah they are trying their best to back out of the contract they signed to produce and stream the second season.

This. And I could see it being a backdoor pilot into a TOS remake.
No, I don't think they'll do that. If they still feel that Star Trek is a good streaming property Circa 2026-2027, and still want to keep two live action Series going (at that point we'll have had streaming Trek for about a decade); they'll move on to the Star Trek Legacy 24th century idea, and then we may see more stories from the Constitution III Enterprise 1701-G

They won't bother to blatantly attempt to redo the original Star Trek series itself with a streaming series.

That said they might do a TOS era streaming Star Trek film using Paul Wesley as Kirk, and see the response to that gets.

No, I don't think they'll do that. If they still feel that Star Trek is a good streaming property Circa 2026-2027, and still want to keep two live action Series going (at that point we'll have had streaming Trek for about a decade); they'll move on to the Star Trek Legacy 24th century idea, and then we may see more stories from the Constitution III Enterprise 1701-G

They won't bother to blatantly attempt to redo the original Star Trek series itself with a streaming series.

That said they might do a TOS era streaming Star Trek film using Paul Wesley as Kirk, and see the response to that gets.
I've said it before Paul's at that age where he can play Kirk post The Motion Picture. Do a film set in between TMP and TWOK.

I've said it before Paul's at that age where he can play Kirk post The Motion Picture. Do a film set in between TMP and TWOK.
God help us all when they officially bump up the scale of the Refit Enterprise. I can already hear the whining.

I really want to see a DS9 type show set in the SNW era. But they gotta do more than 10 eps a season.

A space station format, ensemble cast from diverse backgrounds, dealing with geo-politics in easy to digest weekly episodes
I think the closest we could ever come to that is the Starfleet Academy series that was announced. The show is taking place at a set location, not a ship show and I'm sure the diversity will be well covered as that hasn't been an issue from the Nu Trek I've seen.

SNW is already enough of a TOS remake. Actually remaking each episode of TOS would be quite foolhardy.
Agreed. That is the worse decision they could possibly make. They need to stop playing in old time lines and continue it after Picard.

Last edited:
Back