Yet another list of Top Starships

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by MacLeod, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Perhaps to the die hard fans but who else would really know the Excelsior?

Star Trek for the vast part of it's 47 year history on the screen small and large has been about the U.S.S Enterprise

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me and a guy at work were asking each other Trek related questions once. Me being the Trekspert and him being the casual fan he was trying to stump me and I was trying to ask him something he would know. I asked him what was Riker's previous posting before the Enterprise, he answered the Excelsior. I gave it to him, since the USS Hood was Excelsior class.

My point? Casual fans can recognize the Excelsior.

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And the fact that Excelsior class featured dozens of times throught TNG and DSN

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I would have put the USS Odyssey in there somewhere. With the Asgard Computer Core with Asgard plasma beam weapons and a ZPM powering the shields and hyperdrive, the ship is the most powerful in two galaxies.

5. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Dumbest. List. Ever.

I don't care what universe you are from, a blue box does not top every starship, including the Enterprise.... any of them.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but unlike any of the other ships listed, the TARDIS can travel to any point in the universe at any time in the universe.

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Agreed, I have love for the TARDIS. Her exterior is... simple in comparison.

8. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

So?

They were simply ships in the background maybe mentioned by name but never as excelsior class (as the excelsior herself it's appeared in screen twice - ST6 and flash back.

And much of the background appearances had more to do with the availability of a filming model (so saving the bucks in production through not having to build a new model and the use to stock footage)

So nothing to justify the excelsior in a list of top starships.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the name is mentioned on screen at least twice off the top of my head, TNG's Family and DS9's Paradise Lost. Meanwhile the Excelsior itself had three appearances, you forgot TSFS.

Eh, what exactly is so impressive about the Enterprise B? Are those extra impulse engines and various other add-ons really enough to guarantee it a spot on the list of top starships instead of the Excelsior? Hell, that article itself even says the reason ths ship is great is because it's an Excelsior class ship.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, it definitely does.