YACGE (Yet Another CG Enterprise)

Kirkunit

Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
I haven't posted anything here in awhile, but I wanted to share something I've been working on. This is definitely a WIP at this point.

enterender1sm.jpg

Yes, It's CG, but I don't want to give away too much about how I rendered it just yet. I'm not trying to be mysterious or anything, but it may not be completely obvious at first glance how I created it. (Or maybe it's totally obvious, and I'm just kidding myself!)

Anyway, thoughts? Comments?

Thanks! Obviously, I'm still working on it (mostly during my lunch hour), but I probably have 8 or 9 hours in it so far. Come to think of it, that answer's a little misleading considering all the prep work I did... ;)

Here's an update, although I'm not sure anyone's been looking...

enterender2sm.jpg

I've added a few details here & there. Still no guesses how I'm rendering it?

It was obvious on first sight for me. The gradients mostly. I'm impressed by the way you managed to mimic a 3D image so closely, and you're pretty close to having an 2D image that's indistinguishable from a render :)

Speaking of which, if anyone would like to see some insane 2D work of this nature, check out Honman1 of SciFi-Meshes.

You know I am getting a animated series vibe from this CGI which could be a cool take on the Enterprise. The one I am refering to is in the open credits with the Enterprise in orbit that had that silver sheen on it not the dull gray one

Soar Dude

You know I am getting a animated series vibe from this CGI which could be a cool take on the Enterprise. The one I am refering to is in the open credits with the Enterprise in orbit that had that silver sheen on it not the dull gray one

Soar Dude

Oddly enough, a few years ago I did a simplified Enterprise rendering to see what an animated version might look like.

stadesksm.jpg

I added the registry & other details on the saucer today. If you notice, I also changed the three concentric rings from simple lines to grooves with highlights & shadows.

enterender4sm.jpg

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'm doing this in Illustrator. I've been using it more & more at work and have done some pretty nice stuff (IMHO). I just wanted to see what I could come up with for fun. In this sort of context, all I'd really ever seen were orthographics & schematics. Ironically, I'd never seen anyone use Illustrator to do an old-fashioned illustration.

My dad's a commercial artist (retired) and in his day, the only way to do this sort of thing was with an airbrush. He taught me how to use one for illustrating, but the only time I seem to use an airbrush anymore is to paint models. I guess it's from that point of view that I wanted to see what I could come up with.

Aridas Sofia Nope, I'm not using gradient meshes. I played around with them awhile ago, but they weren't useful to me at the time, so I kind of discounted them. Maybe I should check them out again.

aridas said:
I've worked solely in Illustrator since giving up Freehand five years ago, and you had me fooled.

Ah, the late, lamented Freehand. Yet another truly great program that has been orphaned. Illustrator wouldn't be half the program it is today if it weren't for years of stiff competition from Freehand. If only Quark had bought Freehand at the right time in its history they would both still be going strong to this day. And InDesign would be even better for the competition.

There are still a few things that take an inordinate amount of diddling in Illustrator that can be done in Freehand in a matter of seconds. *sigh*

M.

Back