X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it was when someone said that Jean Grey was the only Class 5 Mutant that they had ever seen, and then Magneto later comments "They're pawns, we sacrifice pawns." as he was throwing class 3 mutants into the line of fire for no discernible tactical gain whatsofucking ever that he had forgotten everything the Nazis taught him, that I had to accept that this movie was a crime.

They Took the Mutant John the Baptist and turned him into the Mutant Stalin.

2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wolverine: Origins was a very violent children's movie. Its plot and the motivations of its characters were very basic and in some cases ludicrous. I'm very much in favour of letting the next one stand alone and I might go out and buy it.

I agree completely with your comments about Last Stand but part of the problem is that the Dark Phoenix story is not a story that can or should be told in one movie. If they had re-introduced her as the Phoenix in X3 they could have shipped her off to Muir Island with Moira and just featured her suffering dreams or something with slight shades of insanity creeping in (maybe use Mr Sinister or Amahl Farouk as the seducer instead of Mastermind since they aleady killed him in X2). They could have finished with a full on hallucination (possibly 'killing' Scott?) ready for her descent into madness in X4 and it would have worked fine. I suppose the actors were only signed for 3 movies and they didn't want to leave anything hanging. In that case, they should have focused on Jean as the A plot.

The Beast's arc and the group dynamic at the end were the highlights of X3 and I was left wanting more. I really hope that they view X4 as a viable property. I don't want the franchise to be rebooted when there is still a lot of potential.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You were not the "he" I was referring to in my post.

Pay attention. It makes it much more annoying to argue with you when you don't.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh do get over yourself. You come across like a snobbish fanboy. As if no-one is allowed to derive their own enjoyment out of something you didn't like without it rendering their opinion somehow inferior.

6. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Surely, you jest. Well, like I said, it's all subjective. Calling horse poop bon-bons doesn't make it so.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
  8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We don't know they were all Class 3, just that none of them were above Class 3.

9. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^ I agree Paul I thought the Phoenix story lines would be THE de facto story lines of the films and I was really disappointed with the execution by time they got there.

Demotion, you mean the complete lack of merchandising and promotion thereof? Seriously, the no tie-ins for the film is the box office death. Even if the film doesn't die, it isn't massive, which nowadays is death all the same. Seriously, when the video releases come out and people have something to see and buy, good things will happen.

Really, imagine if I had Fassbender's face on my boobs. People would notice. As opposed to me having to ask every time I go in Hot Topic if they are getting new X-Men merchandise and they say 'Who?' and I have to say, 'Young Magneto.'

Sigh. I'm telling you, this is why Percy Jackson bombed. No Bean shirts. Hey, maybe now he will have merchandise like Charlie Sheen? :)

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You'd like that wouldn't ya? :lol:

Quick!

Fassbender vs Bean, fight to the death, who takes it?!?!

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Why, would you show off your boobs if it was on them?

12. Obiwanshinobi

It would be pretty creepy. Instead of breasts lies two faces resembling one Michael Fassbender. Like an Outer Limits episode. <shudder>

You know come to think of it, I saw a Doctor Who episode with an alien that absorbed people and their faces would pop out of his body. Now that was pretty creepy.

13. KB24

Well I meant a t-shirt, but hell yeah when Shame comes out, I bet there will be a lot of people who backtrack and see First Class! I show my boobs a lot. That is the scary things that happens to people who erroneously open the locker room door. :wtf:

See, the posters with the faces on the shadowed crotches were all wrong! :p They should have had Erik and Charles sitting in an Attack of the 50 foot women January Jones' cleavage. That would have made some money!

Let me tell you something, my friend, in the question of Bean versus Fassbender, I propose to you this:

Why choose? :devil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Imagination is a beautiful thing! I'd pay money to see that fight.

:drool:

14. Obiwanshinobi

Ah yes, those two Greco Roman wrestling in a kiddie pool filled with baby oil. I know how you think KB24, haha. :rommie:

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    That's a whole other different movie there, KB ;) :evil:

16. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved it, and when I saw it again--y'know, just for confirmation--I loved it again!

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

There are several movies who have had sequels announced before this magical double point. Hangover 3 was announced the day Hangover 2 was released. The rebooted Star Trek 2 was moving forward over a month before Star Trek was released.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Somehow both these movies ended up being successful. Perhaps the studios had some kind of early projections (estimates, surveys, whatever) that made them optimistic.

The Golden Compass was initially announced as a trilogy, was it not? The monster-budget movie ($180 mil.) ended up making only $70 mil. domestically ($370 mil. globally), and New Line Cinema dumped it.

And then there's Matthew Vaughn's Kick-ass. First there was this, but then this happened. I remember reading somewhere that Lionsgate made a bad deal with Vaughn and Mark Millar and actually ended up losing money on that film.

X-Men FC is sure to get a sequel, I believe. It may not be doing great at the boxoffice, but I'm sure that DVD's are gonna sell like crazy.

19. KB24

^But The Golden Compass sucked. That makes a big difference.

Is there a comparison here in the Narnia film series? Though acclaimed, well done, and popular, Disney let them go, only for another studio be more than happy to pick the series up and continue in modest success.

Getting lofty again here after my boob and droolfest, but I don't wonder if cinema numbers continue to fall that folks would stop adapting material for the big screen that would be better served for the small screen? Harry Potter, though a huge huge hugest ;) money maker certainly had enough material for 7 years of 20 episode shows. X-Men would be sweet as a live action television series. With the mix of TV and stream and the decrease of box office, will major adaptations continue to come to television like Game of Thrones? Can we relearn to sacrifice special effects and big money and replace it with performance and hard hitting story again? Nightmare at 20,000 feet is NOT made by the Gremlin makeup, is it? ;)

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would LOVE to see a well done X-Men TV show. There is just sooooo much material there, and after 5 movies we've still barely scratched the surface.