Wrath of Khan Magazine article from 1982

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by SCE2Aux, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

So that creepy picture of the baby crawling on the transporter to the just about to explode Genesis device is genuine? that is some dark Cronenbergish stuff!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Two-Bit likes this.
  2. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yes. It is real and the baby is seen in the workprint.

3. Two-Bit

Two-Bit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[​IMG] I read that they had to put that teddy bear behind the torpedo to get the kid to crawl to it.

Green likes this.
  4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Could have been the birth of a super being....

Green likes this.
  5. Grant

I always had the idea for a story where somebody from Reliant beamed the baby over to the Enterprise just before the Enterprise went to Warp. And the baby was adopted and raised by Starfleet members goes to the academy and grows up and later becomes a ship captain.
    Maybe someday he could encounter as an adversary Carolyn Palamas' and Apollo's child! LOL. Battle of the super beings

6. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

7. Grant

Most deleted scenes still photos are not as striking as that particular group because the baby was cut out of the movie entirely. Other scenes where it's a deleted scene with Kirk Spock or McCoy it doesn't have the same impact if they're in the same setting as all the scenes that remain in the movie. That's why still photographs of the memory wall sequence are so striking because they don't appear anywhere else. It's a shame they never saw fit to give us any official deleted scene sections for Star Treks 2, 3, 4 and 6.

Firebird and Two-Bit like this.
  8. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

I totally agree (http://www.marcellorossi.info/Memory/Memory.html).

Two-Bit likes this.
  9. Grant

Yep I've been hearing for 40 years how that scene just doesn't work doesn't fit into the movie needed to be replaced Etc. And every time I see it I still get excited for what could have been.
    I'm sitting here trying to think of deleted scenes from the first six Star Trek movies where when you saw the still frame of the scene you would immediately recognize it as a cut scene.
    There was a scene cut out of Star Trek 6 where Kirk was giving Gorkon a tour of the torpedo Bay. So I suppose if one were to see a still of Gorkon in the torpedo Bay that would be recognizable as a cut sequence. Also McCoy healed an injured soldier in Star Trek V the final frontier so I suppose if we saw him and a injured Starfleet Commando that would be recognizable. But there are very very few

10. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Well, I guess that trekkers (at least some of them) know the movies sufficiently well that they can recognize a deleted scene photo even if it looks similar to other scenes in the movie, see for example the Kirk's glasses scene from The Wrath of Khan. However of course the ones completely different from the rest of the movie remain the most striking and interesting. I've never seen any picture of an injured soldier from Star Trek V, nor Gorkon on the torpedo bay from Star Trek VI. Actually the sixth movie is the one with less pictures available from deleted scenes, I'm aware only of this one.

[​IMG]
    http://www.marcellorossi.info/deleted_scene_st6_assassins_stalk_scotty.jpg

I believe The Motion Picture on the other hand is the one with most deleted scenes pictures available.

11. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

That looks very familiar. I'm thinking that they had a panel that looked something like this in the DC Comics adaptation of STVI. So I imagine that this still was among the ones that penciler Gordon Purcell was working from for reference.

Maab likes this.
  12. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's amazing how much the "there is a young child on the Reliant" plot would have changed the entire feel of that film for me. It puts Khan's single-minded insanity for revenge in a much darker and tragic light.

I'm still not sure how I'd feel about that, and I've seen these pictures off and on for years.

Very disturbing.

Maab likes this.
  13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The ABC-TV premiere of ST II included numerous deleted scenes, inserted back into the story, with some retained for the DVD DE. Saavik as a half-Romulan was only in the ShoWest presentation trailer.

The theatrical version of ST VI did not reveal Operation: Retrieve, nor the secret identity of the Klingon assassin. We had to wait for the first home video version to see that.

14. Grant

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was referring to deleted scene sections on DVD or Blu-ray. The added scenes for Star Trek II we're assembled in 1985 and the added scenes for Undiscovered Country were added in 1992 long before deleted scenes were a thing on home video. Star Treks 2, 3 and 6 have probably 15 more minutes of deleted scenes and Star Trek 4 probably 5 minutes. Star Trek V probably 5 more minutes than the few we were given on the final frontier discs.
    Paramount surely knows that of any fan base, Star Trek fans would be most interested in seeing deleted material from the movies. The fans were excited to see deleted scenes from the TV episodes over 50 years after the series premiere they would of course be interested in deleted scenes from the movies as well.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Vger23 and Maab like this.
  15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Looks like a monkey. And I don't think it was ever stated that the toy was there for that purpose, but it's a logical idea.

16. Therin of Andor

This one of the Efrosian Federation President's companion was in the trailer.

[​IMG]
    Efrosian president and consort
    by Ian McLean, on Flickr

Maab likes this.
  17. Two-Bit

Are there any notable Star Trek 3 deleted scenes that anyone knows of? The only one I can think of is Valkris revealing that she’s a Klingon to the merchant crew. I used to see a pic floating around of her with a mask on right before Kruge shows up.

18. Two-Bit

That trailer also had an alternate “Kirk” death shot in it as well.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

20. Therin of Andor

The children's picture book, illustrated with photos, shows Valkris wearing her silver veil, and then after it is removed.

There was also a fish-like alien on the Merchantman featured in publicity pics and in the DC Comics adaptation. His over-the-head latex mask would have eliminated any chance of dialogue, so he was always intended to be a minor character. We see only a glimpse of him before the ship explodes.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019