Would you like for Chapel to appear in a new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by borgboy, Oct 31, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chapel's happy on the frontier. That she's one of Kirk's conquests in this timeline (where Spock is of course unavailable) is one of the most interestingly bizarre things they've done, IMO.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. If they never appear in AbramsTrek I won't miss them at all.

3. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Yeah, if we're going to "ship" characters it's more interesting to pair McCoy and Marcus as the alternate universe take - they can even name David after McCoy's father.

4. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There are some secondary characters in the comics that are interesting e.g., the girl that basically saved Kirk's neck in the last one (who might be that girl with short blonde hair we saw in stid) and the Orion's red shirt (the writer of the comics said he's Gaila's brother). They even introduced Sulu's little sister.

Kirk/Carol is too much a given, a bit like Kirk/Uhura was in the first movie..(and in fact they actually paired her with Spock instead.. )

or perhaps that's actually just your wishful thinking manifesting here, Freud. ;)

5. Cara007

Cara007 Lieutenant

No its not my wishful thinking. I just know all the codes names that girls use to hate on other girls because the other girl threatens their throne.

You are obviously an Uhura fan and you are complaining about another girl getting too much screen time. I think your motives are pretty obvious.

You don't want carol to steal uhura's thunder. Face it before Carol the only girl they ever showed in the comics was Uhura, now they are giving Carol more panel in the comics and you are getting mad.

The only way carol would steal uhura's thunder is if Spock dumbs Uhura for her and I don't think that will happen so you don have to worry and get all hostile to Carol.

Carol has the potential to be a great female character.

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Me three.

And as BillJ said, eight's enough. Honestly, compared to expanding the cast any more, I actually wouldn't mind paring things back and going back to the old line-counting days when Kirk and Spock dominated most of the stories and McCoy and sometimes Scotty were mostly the main supporting characters.

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I let this comment go before, because I wasn't sure whether it was supposed to be a joke, given the :lol: .

This makes it look less like a joke, and more like a dig at another poster. Please don't do that.

Be as critical of the content of another person's post as you see fit, but you'll want to be careful not to extend the criticism to the poster, nor to attribute to them things which they did not say, nor "codes names" and "motives" which they have not themselves expressed.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have nothing against the character of Chapel, but there are other loose ends that deserve more attention. Such as, "Mudd."

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I have something against Chapel from TOS.
    She was lame lame lame (mostly)
    If she returns with a different personality it will be Ok
    It's OK IMHO to have a crush on Spock - who didnt:lol: But you don't go around throwing yourself at him all the time. It's just not acceptable nowadays except if you're that pathetic girl at high school

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

We had Rand mooning over Kirk and Chapel groveling to serve Spock.

But JJ gives us a blonde who kicks ass!

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm fine thanks Cara007. Of course we can talk about other things.
    I think there's room for more than one (or even two) female characters in Star Trek.
    I'm also perfectly fine with Chapel being around without her being a love interest for Spock.
    It occurs to me that there is something interesting about why Chapel chose to focus on Spock. Maybe she subconscously liked that he was unavailable. She did lose her fiancee in one of (or was it the) first episode(s) we see her. Perhaps that was a coping mechanism, to fixate on an unavailable man when she wasn't really ready to be with another man.
    I'm wanting her with McCoy now anyways.
    None of this for me has anything to do with competing with Uhura and Carol, just as I never thought having Sulu around was taking anything away from Spock.

12. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind it. They did mention Chapel in the last two films, so why not?

13. teacake

Kirk will get the girl and McCoy will be given a lot of grumbling lines about it.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Kirk is going to Chapel and they're going to get married.

15. teacake

:lol:

At the end of the third movie they will have had a falling out and she will take another assignment that moves her far away from the Enterprise and Jim Kirk and as she is stepping on the shuttle to go she will rest her hand briefly on her abdomen and the camera will play on that and everyone will KNOW.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

There'll be a lot of lens flares in the delivery room when David comes out...

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would have preferred it if Chapel had been a biologist drafted into sick bay during the crisis. They would not have needed much to establish the character:

McCoy: You, Chapel, you're a biologist, right?
    Chapel: Yes, sir...
    McCoy: Then get to Sick Bay; you've just been drafted.

Chapel is always going to be a minor player because as people have pointed out, a movie is only so long. However, they could have used her as part of the tribble research. I was rather upset at the way they dismissed the character so casually, especially since Majel had died between the two movies.

I am hopeful that she will return in the comics in a re-imaged WaLGmo. Maybe she's still looking for Korby. It might be nice if a less diligent captain let the androids off the planet.

18. teacake

Anything that obscures David from my sight is welcome.

19. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly, I'm just hoping the next picture sees a bit part for Janice Lester as commanding the squadron Enterprise is assigned to.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Now wait a minute...the Abramsverse may be different, but having Lester NOT be a complete nutbar? That's just about TOO different. :evil: