Would you accept a TOS-era spinoff with updated visuals, but otherwise kept established continunity?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ralphis, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

When it comes to visuals, the Golden Ratio is bologna.

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3044877/the-golden-ratio-designs-biggest-myth

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a-natural-blueprint-for-beauty-10204354.html

Kor

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you;)

3. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it's on the Internet, it must be true.

Regardless if designers use it or not, it's clear that Jefferies did. It's also clear that the NuEnterprise does not have the same proportional dimensions as the original. From what I have seen of all the fan artwork since then creating other ships in the universe, most have either consciously or unconsciously used those proportions in their design.

Nice opinion pieces there, thanks for sharing.

4. WebLurker

WebLurker Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, I think the TMP Klingons fit with the rest of the franchise overall. The big problem is putting ridges on the backs of the head. No Klingon in the core materials of the franchise has those. I can understand wanting to put your own stamp on something, but it's undermining the idea that this's the same world that the other TV shows come from.

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now imagine it's 1979 and you're watching the opening of The Motion Picture after 10 years of only ever seeing smooth-headed scheming villainous TOS and TAS Klingons. You'd be reacting exactly the same, maybe even worse.
    Chang from STVI had ridges on the back of his skull, but in a far more subtle way than these re-re-rebooted Discovery Klingons do.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Back in 1979, "the rest of the franchise" consisted of 79 episodes of TOS and a Saturday morning cartoon, all of which had featured human-looking Klingons wearing greasepaint and mustaches. No ridges, no facial prosthetics, none of that. Then TMP arrives and suddenly the Klingons look like aliens for the first time ever.

It was a surprise, but kinda cool, too. And we all understood that the movie simply had a bigger budget and more resources than the original TV show, and that makeup techniques had improved since 1969, and that was good enough for most us. No in-universe explanation was required, although ENTERPRISE finally got around to providing one twenty-five years later. :)

Same thing here . . . . if those aliens are indeed Klingons. (Let's not forget that the internet has a bad habit of confusing speculation with news.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Galileo7 likes this.
  7. WebLurker

I came into the franchise much later, so I can only process it from that perspective. Fair point, but what's the point of bringing back a classic species and then making them look so different that they look like a different species all together?

Really?

Well, we'll have to see when it comes out. Maybe it'll turn out to be an ethnic subgroup that we never saw before or something. Having classic Klingons (TOS, TNG onwards, or both) mixed with the new ones might help as well.

8. Kor

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Longinus and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  9. Greg Cox

Because, in the real world, it's 2017 and not 1966 or 1979 or 1987, so maybe the Klingons are overdue for another makeover? Continuity issues aside, this is a new show for a new era, so it shouldn't be locked into artistic choices made before a good chunk of today's audience was even born.

Plus, as noted, if us old-school TOS fans managed to adjust to the radically new look of the Klingons back in the day, I like to think that modern-day Trekkies can also take any new-and-improved Klingon makeups in stride.

All it takes is a little suspension of disbelief.

IronWaffle and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

*insert obligatory "To be or not to be" reference here*

This is one of the reasons the Klingons in ST ID didn't bug me.

Kor likes this.
  11. WebLurker

I don't know, I really do not like this alien makeup design in and of itself, regardless of what characters they're intended for.

But the shows have continued in reruns extensively in modern times. A lot of today's viewers never saw the shows in original broadcast. How would that affect this specific point, would you say?

For what it's worth, I'm not sure if it's that big a deal, but it does seem kind of pointless.

Visual consistency tends to help keep the illusion intact.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funny, we didn't have "visual consistency" either coming out of TOS into TMP or going on to TNG. Neither one of those transitions hurt the franchise or jeopardized the intactness of the the illusion. People got that we were following the adventures of Starfleet officers in the United Federation of Planets just fine, even if they couldn't tell you what UFP stood for.

13. Kor

To get nitty-gritty, there wasn't even visual consistency between TMP and the very next appearance of Klingon characters in TSFS. We never saw the backbone-looking ridges again, or those funky up-swept hairdos.

Kor

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. WebLurker

A.) I'd argue that the movie designs were close enough to look like variations within the same design, not something completely different. B.) Most of TNG's major differences in set and designs usually looked like natural technological advancement or more variations within the same design guidelines.

Fair enough.

15. Greg Cox

But, bottom line, it is an illusion. These are theatrical productions, produced over the course of fifty-plus years, not documentaries. It's smoke and mirrors. A certain suspension of disbelief comes with the territory, like when Kirstie Alley magically turns into Robin Curtis. Or the Klingon makeups suddenly look a lot more alien than they did on the original TV series.

(And, seriously, Mark Lenard in TMP looks nothing like John Colicos in "Errand of Mercy." It's not the same design at all.)

Sometimes you just have to roll with it. :)

BillJ, IronWaffle and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  16. Shawnster

Would you be saying the same thing if it was the Vulcans that received a major makeover? Not just some forehead eyebrow ridge like the Romulans but a drastic makeover? After all, it's 2017 and the Vulcans are overdo for a makeover.

17. Greg Cox

If it worked, why not? Probably depends on how good the writing and acting were.

BillJ likes this.
  18. Shawnster

And at some point it gets old that they keep changing things for the sake of change. I know, let's have a different design configuration for the Enterprise (same ship, not different class) every other time it appears. Lets have new uniforms every other month. Maybe DISC can have the Andorians with 3 antennae! Or none! After all, we need to change things up from time to time.

Don't get me wrong. I don't care anymore. I'm over it. I give up. I'll still be salty about NuTrek but whatever.

Sure, its art and every artist expresses their art differently. At some point, though, it's a better fan service to make something new instead of redesigning bits and pieces of older art again and again. Like my point above about the Vulcans - I bet there are just some things they won't ever change.

19. Kor

Given how easily Mudd could tell that Spock was only "part Vulcanian," it would actually make sense for 100% Vulcans to look noticeably different, instead of having the exact same features as Spock.

Kor

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

In my mind Klingon ridges always extended over the back of the skull. The TMP Klingon ridges look like spinal cords extending over the head and connecting with the nose.
    Yep.
    Exactly.