Worst stereotype in Trek...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Yevetha, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Speak for yourself. I certainly don't envy women their uteruses. After all, procreation is no big deal. Dogs and cats do it every day, and with a lot less fuss and bother.

2. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Quite the opposite. We are the original fabulous ones. Teh ghey stole it.

More seriously, I find position similar to yours rather puzzling. Since when looking good, being manicured and well-dressed is bad and unmanly? Casanova didn't get his renown by looking coarse and smelling like ass, you know.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I concur.

4. scotpens

And she one fine sista! :techman:

Yes, I'm amused that a heterosexual man who takes care about his appearance, is well-dressed and groomed, has good manners, and is cultured and sophisticated is called "metrosexual" -- i.e., a straight man who acts like a gay man. By implication, a "normal" straight man is a knuckle-dragging oaf who swills beer by the case and thinks the Three Stooges are the pinnacle of wit.

And now we return to our topic, in progress . . .

5. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I guess you speak from experience. Can't argue with that.

Next time I try to get with another woman...I'll dress up like gay men. [chuckle]

6. mitchconner

mitchconner Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just thought of this...

Is anyone in the Star Trek universe gay? Please, spare me the gay jokes. But I'm serious -- has there ever been a character that was actually a homosexual? I know they did a TNG episode where Riker has a fling with an androgynous person, and an Enterprise episode where Trip tries to help an alien that's the member of a third sex on its planet, but neither of those fit the profile.

When you watch British science fiction, they're much more open about sexuality. In fact, if you watch Torchwood you'd think that every guy is either gay or bisexual. But with Star Trek, I can't think of any character that was gay or bi.

I think I remember reading somewhere that they were thinking about making Geordi gay (apparently 1987 wasn't ready for a gay, black and blind man) and in an Enterprise novel I once read I think Trip's brother was gay, but that's all I can think of.

7. Paradon

Paradon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, there's Major Kira... In the parallel universe she seems like a bisexual to me.

8. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

To be fair, it's not like you can really be all that thorough with aliens of the week if you only have 40 minutes of screentime and you still need to give a lot of that to the actual stars of the show.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a difference, in Spanish, between "América" and "las Américas."

And American does, pretty exclusively, refer to someone from el EEUU

US, as in a the United States (plural) is "el EEUU." While US, as in a United State (singular), would be "un EU." Spanish does observe the concept of pluralizing.

:)

10. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

It was first introduced in TNG Season Three - the episode The Price.

Before that the term "quadrant" could have meant anything.

Of course, this confusion ended up causing one of my biggest pet peeves about Trek - the whole "let's have the Federation be in both the Alpha and Beta Quadrants in order to explain away all those 'only ship in the quadrant' references" nonsense. IMO, that's simply insulting to the viewers' intelligence. Why couldn't they just have let it be that "quadrant" in TOS meant a quadrant of a single sector?!

11. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Yes, just another example of how ST definitions change over the years depending on the writers in charge at the time. The quadrant of the galaxy may be different than the quaderant of the Federation territory or a quaderant of a defined area of unexplored space. Many times I think TOS must be referring to an area unsecured space.

12. scotpens

“Quadrant” means one-quarter of a circle or sphere, or something shaped like a quarter circle. Since one-quarter of the entire galaxy would be ridiculously vast, I assumed a Star Trek quadrant was one-fourth of Federation territory. In any case, one-fourth of something.

This perfectly logical definition can be ignored, naturally, depending on the needs of the plot.

13. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well yes, that's the logistical reason. I was just showing how one could help make it "fit" within the Star Trek universe. :)

While I marvel at what women are able to do, and believe that if we were able to go through the same thing, we'd share their appreciation of being able to do it. But us men don't... and I'm perfectly happy to help a woman through her pregnancy and labor rather than go through it! ;)

Whatever gave you the idea that a metrosexual acts like a gay man? It's just a man who applies more effort to his appearance than the typical guy. That doesn't mean he wears flamboyant clothes or any style that suggests that he is gay. They are also known to get a manicure--there's nothing wrong with that. His outward mannerisms don't necessarily project "gay". It's my perception that a metrosexual refers to fashion conscious men who are either heterosexual, bi-curious, or a closet gay. Julian Bashir might even be called one.

14. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

We're shown that the Milky Way is divided up into 4 quadrants: Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Gamma. Obviously, Voyager is more focused on it than other Star Trek series because the whole arc is a long trip through the Delta quadrant en-route to the Alpha quadrant.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Galaxy is split into 4 Quadrants, and each of those Quadrants are defined by regions/sectors, which in turn are divided into quadrants, etc.

16. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

In newer series, yes. In TOS there are several times that Enterprise is the only ship in the Quadrant. In TOS I don't think they are talking about being the only ship in 1/4 of the galaxy.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The Quadrant system can be the same for both shows, since they're never specific on which quadrant they're talking about.

18. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I suppose you could look at it like this...

Galaxy
    Galactic Quadrant
    Sector (A collection of star systems and open space)
    Sector Quadrant (The sector divided up)
    Star System

19. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

^ That's exactly how I've always regarded it.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hawk from ST:FC

So is every other female character in the MU, it would seem. MU Kira is just playing it up more. Kind of like a female Jack Harkness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.