Worf in "Picard"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by alpha_leonis, Jul 21, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No.

It's not like Worf never has issues with the Klingon government.

2. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stuff in "Star Trek" goes away all the time. Worf's new career as an ambassador "went away" with one short, clumsy line, it could come back just as easily.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

How lazy.

4. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they are smart they will pretend that every aspect of discovery (including Klingons redesign) never happened.

This show has good feedback so far, keep it like that.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Even Detmer?

SolarisOne and antinoos like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he'll look close to Nemesis Worf. Maaaaaybe with a few hints of Disco Klingons, like the fingers/nails or some neck ribbing.

The thing is, I'm not sure Michael Dorn resembles Worf enough anymore. Even though his muscles were always in the suit (hence Sleeveless Worf only ever happening in comics), he's skinny as a rake now. Here he was in Ted 2:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Lance likes this.
  7. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Put him on the same juice every actor in the MCU is on for 3 months and he'll be just fine

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery season 2 retconned their Klingons back to something closer to, but not identical to, the TNG era designs. I see no problem with Worf appearing with a subtle update to this design. Identifiably Worf, but with a twist, as it were. :techman:

Michael Dorn had skin problems/complications with the old makeup too, so approaching it from the point of view of creating a fresh application would probably be preferable to him as an actor. :)

9. Nveid Jo'rek

Nveid Jo'rek Lieutenant Red Shirt

For anybody that has played Star Trek Online, Worf is an ambassador, but has remained on Qo'noS after war broke out between the Kingons and the Federation. But then again, I don't know how canon STO is with the franchise.

10. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It isn't canon at all, nothing outside the movies/shows are.
    It has it's own timeline leading up from Nemesis to 2409/10.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The books have Worf take over for Riker as First Officer after Nemesis, I wouldn't mind seeing the show go that route, with him possibly even taking over as Captain after Picard is promoted to admiral. By the time we reach Picard, maybe he could even be an admiral.

SolarisOne and Paul Weaver like this.
  12. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or they could play into Michael Dorn's long reject Worf series pitch, where Worf acquires his own little pirate ship and travels the galaxy with his girlfriend and crew getting into trouble.

13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC Dorn was very critical of how the Discovery makeup covered up "everything but the eyeballs." Even though that was a Season 1 comment, Season 2 still had full face masks, just with thinnner silicone.

I'm going to guess that his "piece" is going to be subtly updated, but more similar to his old makeup, leaving him with a lot of freedom around the mouth to engage in physical acting.

14. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

They only changed the makeup in Discovery so dramatically for plot reasons - they covered up 'everything but the eyeballs' in order to hide Ash Tyler's true identity. The story would not have worked with the regular Klingon makeup.

15. MFB

MFB Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't think that the new klingon masks were done for plot reasons. The point I really don't understand in that whole Voq/Tyler story is, why Shazad Latif had to play both characters. They were seperate for decades of their life and had no reason to resemble each other, even in the vaguest way. The Voq/Tyler revelation was weakly covered by that Javid Iqbal pseudonym and for the plot I don't see why it was at all important to put Shazad Latif under that massive make-up.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  16. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked the Klingon design used in "Into Darkness." The make-up is generally the same as prior series, but the costumes and hairstyle(shaved) were greatly improved. I wish they would have gone with that. They could have had a very similar, but more fierce looking actor play Voq, while Lateef plays Ash.

Instead they went full Geiger. I would have been okay with them going half-Geiger and keeping the ID look. As they are, they remind me of the Xindi reptilian aliens, which remind me of Rita Repulsa's cronies. There are good examples of full-face prosthetics in Star Trek, like the Hirogen, or Jem-Hadar. Those were done much better.

SolarisOne likes this.
  17. eschaton

Yeah, there is zero evidence for this fan theory. Indeed, the Klingon redesign was apparently decided upon months before there was any real casting. And by all accounts Latif was initially hired for the role of Kol before becoming "Ash Tyler."

Those examples were not often as full-on mask as the Disco Klingons. You can clearly see when you look at the Jem'Hadar, for example, that they didn't apply any latex over the lips of the actors at all, leaving the mouth with a full range of expression.

I also know in a lot of the heavier regular races when it came to makeup - like the Cardassians and Ferengi - they made sure that there either wasn't a chin piece, or if there was that it was a separate piece they glued onto the face, allowing for a full range of motion around the mouth.

Again, I just don't understand why anyone thought it was a good idea to have Klingons with a full-face mask of silicone. It means that a race which was known for over-the top physical acting basically can't do anything other than look around and mutter slowly.

Longinus and SolarisOne like this.
  18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

In Season 2 of Discovery, after it was clear the new makeup didn't go over well, they could only change the Klingons back so much and still keep the pre-existing characters recognizable from one season to the next. Since Picard won't be carrying any of those characters over, they're free to basically go back to the regular Klingon look.

I think we'll have a brand-new "We do not discuss it with outsiders!" conversation in regards to 23rd Century Klingons. Like I've said before, I chalk it up to an early attempt to correct the Augment Virus that went too far.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    SolarisOne likes this.
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

To make them more alien. That would have been my thought process at least. Of course, if it limits the actors ability to emote then it becomes a problem, depending on the actor. But, I'm also the weird guy who doesn't mind S1 DSC Klingons.
    I share this theory.

20. eschaton

If anything, it seems like Picard has toned down the Romulans compared to TNG, so I would expect that we wouldn't see anything wild/out there regarding the Klingons in general.

SolarisOne likes this.