Wonder Woman(NBC) *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Feb 2, 2011.

1. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

"Rebooting" is a concept I have always rejected. When Ian McKellan plays Lear, it is not a "reboot" of the play just because Olivier and, oh, just a few other people have played it in different productions.

This is why I did not object to a new conception of Star Trek.
    The execution, on the other hand....

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's why I tended to avoid most genre news sites, too painfully sad to read.

3. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of interest, are there any other people on this board who are fans of Wonder Woman but have never seen (or perhaps didn't like) the Linda Carter TV show?

I have lots of worries about this show and what it's going to do to Wonder Woman as a character, but how well or ill it conforms to a show from the 70s isn't even on my radar.

I know nostalgia is a strong force in genre fandom, but I sometimes feel that it's crippling superhero comics. (Though possibly I'm just super bitter, because it's always nostalgia that's older than my personal nostalgia :p) Wonder Woman's come a long way since the 70s in comics. I'd so much rather see something of Perez or Rucka's takes on the character incorporated into a new screen version.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I still enjoy the first season (World War II setting) of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman, cheeziness and all, but, yea, I don't think the new series should aim their show at being like it.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched Carter's show a few times and thought it was unimaginative fluff. My voracious comic reading days, which had included Wonder Woman, were probably a decade behind me at that time and my basic impressions of the character were formed years before the pneumatic television version.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I can see people comparing the new Wonder Woman to Lynda Carter as well as wanting the new Diana to spin into Wonder Woman the way Carter did. And to a lesser degree, I can see people wanting an invisible jet and a diving outfit for the character, but beyond those things, I don't think the old show will have much of an influence on the new series. It's too old and too campy to emulate, and there isn't much story-wise that needs to be carried over.

7. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just for the count - I like Wonder Woman and have never watched the Linda Carter show (except for youtube clippings and such).

I think having a show with her would be fun. And while I don't normally have time for sitcoms (too early in the evening for me, but I liked Frasier in the reruns), I saw a few episodes of Boston Public and kinda liked it.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Me neither. She even made an appearance on "Smallville" as Chloe's mom

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which was a complete waste of resources.

hells, when Adam West was on the New Adventures of Zorro, he played Bruce Wayne's great great grandfather.

I wonder if they invite Clorris "Hyppolyta" Leachman back, if she'd have any of the cast of Raising Hope in tow?

Ally McBeal had some spunk but she always had to wimp out at the last minute because it was network TV in the nineties. I wanted to smack her when she wouldn't date that guy from Royal Pains just because he was threateningly "bisexual".

10. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Looks like some rewrites were done to the script. I'm not going to condemn the show just based on it getting rewrites (my understanding is that is a very normal part of the Hollywood process) but I confess, what they have done sounds like it defines the story (and characters) a bit more: http://www.ugo.com/tv/wonder-woman-badass-rewrite

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

My main response to that article is that the accompanying photo of Palicki further enhances my interest in this project. ;)

It's becoming clearer and clearer, though, that "fan news sites" for the most part don't practice any form of real journalism but rely upon commentary that panders to the backward prejudices of the folks they hope to attract.

12. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Nothing wrong with that. And even if "fan pressure" was a factor, then that's good because it means the writers aren't just blindly reinventing the wheel. The whole costume backlash is a bit silly - ultimately this show will live or die by how the character is presented. If this ends up being just a superpowered Ally McBeal, hey it could still work. But I'd rather see it err on the "female action hero" side to shore up the front put on by Nikita, Fringe, etc.

Alex

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's cool! But if she's willing to do TV, why wouldn't she agree to be Chuck and Ellie's mom? :( Linda Hamilton, I dunno...she just doesn't look right for the part.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either. Never cared a flip about the character. Maybe this new show can change that.

No sadder than this place! :rommie:

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I enjoyed the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman, WWII setting more as a show- somewhat campy and more closely like a comic book than the CBS version. That was just taking a fun character too seriously and not seriously enough at the same time. I did enjoy that version of the costume.:bolian:

15. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/
    :bolian:

16. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm kind of looking forward to this. Wonder Woman has never really been on my radar as a comic book character (although, I think I wrote a fanfiction about her at some point... foggy memories). However, I'm a bit worried that it won't do well. Either way it won't be because of me. I'll be tuning in.

Also, I have a question. How is it that NBC got the rights to this? Are they owned by Warner Brothers? or did they have to buy the rights?

17. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

I'm kind of looking forward to this. Wonder Woman has never really been on my radar as a comic book character (although, I think I wrote a fanfiction about her at some point... foggy memories). However, I'm a bit worried that it won't do well. Either way it won't be because of me. I'll be tuning in.

Also, I have a question. How is it that NBC got the rights to this? Are they owned by Warner Brothers? or did they have to buy the rights?

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's good it's getting good test reviews. I'll probably check it out when it airs. Remember that this is a television pilot. It was rejected by every network the first time around...so I'm not sure if it's an issue of rights obtainment. If this gets green lit for a full season then maybe they'll have to purchase them. Or maybe it's different from a live action film adaption. Maybe that's what WB owns.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You understand that Time-Warner-nachos-whatever owns DC Comics and has done so for decades?

Legalese means that they still have to pay each other for work and licensing, even though ostensibly they are basically the same entity.

The reason that they would have shopped it out first would have probably been that paying themselves for the benefit of using their own character is less profitable than finding some mule to do all the hard work for them.

20. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The reason NBC passed on the project first time around is because the budget for the pilot was higher than anyone was going to approve, seeing that the new Comcast overlords weren't in place at the time.

Once they were, they picked up the pilot.