Women’s issues - bodily functions and such

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RunningValkyrie, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Ah, I see you’ve met my nemesis. :shifty:

Seriously, why do I have to wear sweaters at work in the middle of summer, when it’s 30+ degrees C out??

Glad to hear that you’ve recovered from your illness!

KimMH likes this.
  2. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Hope you’ll be better soon! It seems cruel to be sick when the weather has finally turned Pleasant!

Thank you! I usually don’t put my sweaters away during the summer. I’ll keep one at the office to see how this goes.

Avro Arrow and Sibyl like this.
  3. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've started to experience vertigo during PMS...seriously, as if the dysmorphia, bloating, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts weren't enough. I'm seriously fairly mentally healthy three and a half weeks out of each month, and then the hormones come.

KimMH likes this.
  4. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

That's awful. I'm sorry. :(

It's been a while, so I don't know your stance, but I remember my doc putting me on a low dose antidepressant to combat the menstrual hormonal blues. If you're anti-med (and there are pros and cons to medicating - no judgment for either choice), there are dietary ways to increase your serotonin to minimize your hormonal flux.

But you probably already know all this. :cool:

KimMH likes this.
  5. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Bless you.

KimMH likes this.
  6. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

Does anyone take Alendronate (Fosamax)? Maybe the name is different elsewhere in the world.

My mom's friend brought it up to us recently and told us that this drug that is supposed to fight osteoporosis actually makes bones harder and more brittle rather than just building normal bone density. This might help explain my broken foot. I was losing bone density beginning many years ago so my doctor prescribed it to me. After my mom's friend told us about it I stopped immediately.

My mom has taken calcium for decades and her bones are doing just fine so she's never taken Alendronate.

While I've never experienced a period I have a few years experience with menopause. I was finally able to start HRT again and my temperature tolerances have been changing rapidly again. 50°F is chilly to me again when a few months ago I could walk outside in a t-shirt in sub-freezing temperatures. I totally understand thermostat wars. I've been going through one for years.

thestrangequark and KimMH like this.
  7. KimMH

I’m sorry, that sounds awful.

The bone thing is kind of scary sounding - it’s like every solution they find has serious side effect.

Random_Spock and Sibyl like this.
  8. thestrangequark

I'm definitely not anti-med, but I do have a very complicated relationship with them ;).

Most psych meds, including antidepressants, are out because of how they affect my diabetes, others are out because they're contraindicated in patients with history of anorexia/bulimia. The few I've tried I've had bad reactions to. I also tried birth control, but my options there are limited because of the diabetes, and because my mother had a pulmonary embolism that her doctors thought was likely birth control. I think I might just be stuck whining about it once a month until they come up with something better! :p

I do appreciate the sympathies, though. My PMS is bad...maybe it constitutes PMDD. I think what I need to work on is recognizing the symptoms for what they are and coping with them until they pass.

KimMH and Sibyl like this.
  9. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I’ve been menopausal for a few years (I’m 50) and I’m so freaking grateful for it, though at the moment I’m having a bit of a tough time. The hormones are acting up and fuelling my depression again, and over the past few months I’ve had terribly dry skin on my face, something I’ve never had before. On the up side I haven’t had a migraine/ sinus headache for over a year. I used to be bedridden with them almost every month to the point where it was interfering with my life. I’m very, very grateful those have stopped. I usually run warm, which I never used to do, and I’ve had a few night sweats, but overall I’m in a much better place because my PMS was awful after I had my kids. I always had a light flow with minimal cramps, so my actual periods were okay, but the PMS was hell.

KimMH and Sibyl like this.
  10. thestrangequark

I'm sorry about your broken foot! Medication is almost always a risk-benefit sitch. I don't know ...after my last several periods, and after writing about it here, I may even reconsider trying birth control again. I don't know. My hemoglobin came back borderline high last time, which the doc said could have been a fluke of the lab, or just that I was dehydrated, but I feel like that'd be another risk factor if I reconsider birth control. But on the other hand, I have suicidal ideation the first 3-4 days around my period every month -- it's an awful lot to tolerate.

KimMH likes this.
  11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

That, other than cessation of my period, was my sole symptom of menopause.

Considering my childbirth-intensity cramps for years, I felt I deserved the good luck of stopping by 44 (started the menopause at 42) and only running warm. Fair is fair.

Isn't it great to not need product anymore? KaCHING! More money in the wallet saved.

KimMH likes this.
  12. May 20

Yep. That's a definite plus! That and cabinet space. Even a small box of tampons takes up valuable bathroom cabinet real estate.

T'Bonz and KimMH like this.
  13. thestrangequark

My mom is going through menopause (rather late, as she's nearing 60), and what she describes is utter hell. I am not looking forward to it.

KimMH likes this.
  14. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I've not had the most wonderful time of it. :(

T'Bonz and Mary Ann, you lucky women!

KimMH likes this.
  15. KimMH

Yes; that! I refuse to give up the candles hubby keeps very helpfully suggesting we don't need!

I am sorry for your mom and hope it will get better. I hope that by the time you change we might be better at managing symptoms and side effects.

Awww, that stinks. *Hugs*

16. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I paid for it in the early days of my period. :/

May 20:
    Not to mention valuable purse space, especially on the heavier days.

May 20 likes this.
  17. thestrangequark

Menstrual cup, yo!

Mary Ann, May 20 and KimMH like this.
  18. KimMH

Would seriously investigate if I had a need for it.

thestrangequark likes this.
  19. May 20

I looked into one but decided to go the reusable pad route after my son was born. It was a good choice for me. If I had been still working outside the home, I think I would have tried the cup. Now, though, the pads are tucked away since I don't need them anymore (yay!) but don't have any clue what to do with them.

thestrangequark likes this.
  20. KimMH

Am considering donating mine to the local jail. Inmates are only given a ridiculous amount and have to REUSE them. Niece did an eight month stint and the other inmates were actually ok but the administration was horrible and far more interested in revenge than rehabilitation.

May 20 likes this.