wired TNG/Dr Who issue 1 preview

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by indianatrekker26, May 27, 2012.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

Holy fish sticks and custard! That looks even better than I was hoping for! So frakking excited for this book.

3. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

::Happy Dance::

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

4. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

It's got the words Doctor Who on the cover, I don't get the luxury of choice...:lol::rolleyes:

5. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm also rather happy that Chris Roberson is no longer handling Trek crossover writing duties. I enjoyed Star Trek/Legion well enough, but in the interim, he quit at DC because of the Before Watchmen fiasco, which revealed him as someone who's books I'd rather not buy, so I'm more than happy to not have to support any of his stuff at the moment.

Also, Andrew_Kearley might have the best avatar on this site.

6. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hm, can't say I care much for the painterly art style. Purely a taste thing, though.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just flipped through the gallery and read the article. This looks like it should be a lot of fun. I couldn't help but smile when I saw the image of a Cyberman saying "Resistance is futile".

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I actually kind of like it.

9. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Might get in in trade. :D

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't sure at first, but by end of the preview I was already getting used to it. Some of the Wildstorm graphic novels used a similar style.

11. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed getting a glimpse of Deltan society in that one, in addition to the sheer coolness of seeing Cybermen alongside Borg!

12. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly I enjoyed the Painted style right away. Wasn't too keen on the covers though.

13. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Delta is depicted as quite a tacky society ... like season one TNG, with dull architecture, and none of the sense of pervasive sexuality that is normally associated with the Deltans. But it is nice to see the Starfleet types, such as the Vulcan and the Andorian, suggesting more the multi-special make-up of the Federation.

I am opposed to this crossover in principal, but I am glad many will like it. But it seems to depth-less, so ... pulpy?

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Me too!

I picked up the first issue of the crossover tonight, and really, really enjoyed it.

Seems to me that groups of fans have been caustic and/or lukewarm about almost all the IDW efforts, since the beginning - often undeserved. I've usually found something to enjoy in most. (I was rather surprised that some usually-harsh critics actually liked the "Legion of Superheroes"/"TOS" crossover, and yet I didn't find it very compelling.)

With this new mini-series, I found myself loving the painterly style - especially
    the "Dixon Hill" holodeck stuff.
    Also loved that the action starts out on Delta IV and, for me, being a relative novice about "Doctor Who", there was plenty of likable/funny Who-stuff as well.

I guess it was inevitable they'd show all Deltan females in outfits that resembled Ilia's white leisure robe from TMP (but only the collar was supposedly "Deltan"; Saavik had a similar top in ST II without the collar, suggesting it was a Starfleet-issue garment design), but the artist also drew inspiration from male Deltan robes and jewelry used in TMP and ST IV.

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well issue #1 is out and on the nook color as is the star trek/legion of super heroes graphic which is up for preorder.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I got it. Not good or bad, just kinda there...

17. Therin of Andor

But it didn't seem over too soon, as the TOS/"Legion" issues did.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You know, from my vantage point, it did seem awfully short. Maybe that is cause we only see TNG characters on the last panel. :shrug:

19. Therin of Andor

I was really liking all the Delta IV stuff! It's not as if they have ever had much coverage before. It got more exposure than I'd assumed, followed by the lengthy DW bits.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, of course its primary goal is to be a rousing adventure story featuring beloved characters, not to be the next Watchmen. It's a Star Trek/Doctor Who crossover, not an attempt at highbrow literature.