Will We Ever See The 1990s Star Trek Aesthetic Again? Or Hear that “humm” Sound When No One Speaks?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by GuyX, May 13, 2021.

1. GuyX

GuyX Ensign Red Shirt

I’m actually a new Trek fan. I only just finished watching DS9 last week. TNG I finished in 2015(it took me so long to dig into DS9 because I desperately wanted an HD remaster but when I kept reading about how that was not going to happen anytime soon, I took the plunge thanks to the pandemic. DS9 is by far my favourite Trek show. It blew me away). I don’t think DS9 feels dated from a design stand point. Some of the execution of those designs can look a bit cheap but the design itself looks fine. Meaning you could make DS9 today, with a bigger budget & keep all the equipment & ship designs & props but made to a higher production quality stand point and it wouldn’t look dated one bit. What gives the show away is the 90s production technology & techniques. You can tell it was made in the 1990s because of Major Kira’s hair cut, that sort of thing.

Early TNG does feel dated. The first couple seasons. But again it mostly feels dated because of things like an actors hair style or the production technology. The movie sets of TNG don’t feel nearly as dated. Why? Larger production budget.

DEWLine likes this.
  2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd say more generic sci-fi designs. I like the Enterprise-E bridge, but it doesn't have anything memorable about it.

Vger23 likes this.
  3. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps it just needs more time for people to become acclimated to it.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I know what you're saying, and to you it's all new. We're looking at it from opposite perspectives. So Imagine watching it every week for years on end. Imagine watching it after it starts to go downhill. It doesn't sound like you've seen VOY and ENT yet. The type of Star Trek shows you want back had their time. It had a beginning, middle, and end. It's done. You discovered it after the fact, and that's all there is to it.

Picard continues the story of it, even though it's not the same production style. Lower Decks hearkens back to '90s-era Star Trek, even though it's animated. These two shows are as close as you're going to get for now. But, if it helps to know, the people in charge of making Star Trek will increasingly be people who grew up with TNG. So you won't get exactly that, but you will get something closer to its vain.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Oh yeah...if he hasn't watched VGR or ENT yet, then my advice would be to keep watching...he'll probably get his fill of it just like everyone else did.

Lord Garth likes this.
  6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Watch The Orville.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which is fine...for Star Wars.

8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

One random guy brings Pike a paper report, and he just shakes his head XD

The padded walls remind me of Alien from 79 (another timeless design, I think). Walls should be soft and there should be carpet everywhere in case the artificial gravity and/or inertial dampeners fail. If anyone gets thrown around on the D bridge, they're gonna be less injured than getting thrown around on DS9's Ops XD

9. fireproof78

If the inertial dampeners fail the crew is dead.

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I could draw the Ent-D bridge with my eyes closed. The E? Might as well just be a "bridge-of-the-week" thrown together from other sets.

dupersuper and The Old Mixer like this.
  11. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

In fairness though, you got to see and live with the Ent-D bridge over the course of 7 years, 176 hours of television plus a movie. You've been with the Ent-E bridge for 6 hours. The D had a lot more opportunity to imprint an emotional investment with you.

12. mdtauk

mdtauk Captain Captain

The amount of time we all spent seeing the bridge, from various angles may have more to do with that, than it's design.

But I take your point, and find the Ent E bridge less distinctive in my mind too.

13. fireproof78

The D stands out only from sheer repetition. In this instance familiarity breeds contempt.

Mileage will vary.

Jadeb likes this.
  14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wut? If there's any music in this franchise which doesn't feel grand, heroic, or memorable and is just...there, it's definitely the music from the 90s shows. Say what you want about the music on the current shows, I'll admit it's not always perfect, but it definitely has more presence than the music on TNG and DS9 did. I mean, come on, TNG's most memorable music (TBOBW score) only came about because the composer knew he was leaving the show after that episode anyway and couldn't be reprimanded.
    Wut? Those shows are totally dated today and totally scream 90, possibly more than TOS screams 60s. LCARS is laughably primitive compared to touchscreen technology that exists today, and the omnipresence of CRT screens all over the place on DS9, even on the state of the art Defiant was already looking bad when that show ended and plasma and LCD screens were starting to become commonplace. And don't even get me started on everyone carrying computer pads all over the place, or seeing stacks of them on a desk in order to represent "busy."

15. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

^Oh, I've seen the desks at home increasingly cluttered with digital devices. It's only cost that keeps their numbers down. If you replicate all the padds you want, it is implausible that some would wind up piled high like paper.

16. fireproof78

I mean, the PADD just simulates paper and characters treat it as being one PADD per subject. It makes little sense as people keep bringing in more and more PADDs as if electronic messaging wasn't a thing.

17. GuyX

GuyX Ensign Red Shirt

Correct. I have not seen Voyager or Enterprise

18. GuyX

GuyX Ensign Red Shirt

I’m not talking about the background score. I’m talking about the main title theme.

And again, when you say things like “CRT television make it seem dated” you aren’t paying attention. There are things that feel dated from a PRODUCTION stand point. I.e material that they used to build the sets. Budget was obviously a problem. I’m talking about DESIGN.

the Design of the TNG Enterprise doesn’t look dated. Nor do the Starfleet costumes of DS9.

Here’s an example. They changed the way Klingons look in Discovery. Why? Klingons looked great as is. Or in Picard they have those ridiculous totally impractical incorporeal holograms instead of actual Consoles. It makes no sense and isn’t practical. They would’ve had that tech in TNG era based on what we see. All of a sudden the world switched the holographic displays? That would’ve been possible then! But we all know why Picard as Holographic displays. Because it’s looks “futuristic”. Those are the sort of details that bother me. You don’t get a lot of form over function in 90s Star Trek but now it seems like you do.

It doesn’t have to look EXACTLY the same. But a natural evolution might be nice. A continuity. The flashy J.J Abrams style just doesn’t seem right.

19. fireproof78

To make them alien. Make it feel like an interstellar Empire. Klingons in TNG were one note stereotyped species. Frustrating.

antinoos likes this.
  20. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. Yeah. Let's just say I'm giving you the head's up. :devil: