Will they go back to primeTrek after nuTrek finishes?.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dar70, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone else amused by the fact that in this day and age, where corporations are derided as being close to evil incarnate, that CBS is considered in the right here?

No? Just me? Ok then ;)

2. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I'm amused! I'm amused!!

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't consider them in the right.

4. fireproof78

Thanks.

That was more a sarcastic quip regarding the interesting turn in that story, given current pop culture views on corporations.

5. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

The quote from that "insider" could have come from just about anywhere. Other than this article, I'm not all that familiar with The Wrap. Any idea how good of a source they are?

6. The Pastor

The Pastor Cadet Newbie

Life long fan:

Keep them coming in any time line, i will enjoy!

7. lordbaltimore1

lordbaltimore1 Ensign Red Shirt

If Doctor Who can reboot itself in the same universe as the Classic Doctor Who series, why can't Star Trek reboot itself without switching universes? Why should Doctor Who fans have the luxury of new material that respects the original material while trek fans are supposed to "settle" for flushing 40 years of beloved storytelling down the toilet just so a movie executive can sell tickets to Fast and Furious fans? Nobody's asking for perfect continuity but how about a little respect, instead of "the universe that everyone grew up loving has been snuffed out so that we can start from scratch."

8. eyeresist

Hullo sockpuppet. :lol:

9. fireproof78

A couple of things here. First, the changing of the leading character is a built in story feature of the series, so recasting is not a big deal.

Secondly, there is a lot more mainstream recognition for Kirk and Spock as the face of Star Trek. Not to all fans and not to all people, but the names and faces are sufficiently recognizable to be familiar.

I personally think that Abrams Trek respects the spirit of adventure and excitement that was a part of TOS, while giving us a new look at the characters.

Finally, as has been discussed, Prime Timeline continues on. We just don't have films about it right now.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Can't we have both?

I like original and JJ Trek

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

We do have both. JJ Abrams didn't break into my house and steal my Prime universe DVD's, Blu-ray's, books or action figures.

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

More or less.

(I had to use this at least once.)

13. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Shouldn't that read: Jep? Or Chep? :D

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, he has been busy with other projects. I'm sure he'll get around to it. :lol:

16. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

For most intents and purposes, the New Series Doctor Who is pretty much a reboot similar to the new Trek movies. It is tonally very different, and it visually updates anything it sees fit to update. Look at the Cybermen, for example, a continued source of controversy regarding how the New Series treats their nature, function and look.

Also, Doctor Who plays extremely loosely with continuity. It has its time-travel to fall back on, as well as the newer "Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey" plot device to explain away any plot holes or paradoxes. Star Trek is not yet as loose with its continuity.

Honestly, I don't really understand the Doctor Who comparisons. Doctor Who may profess to keep its continuity, but it plays with and even jettisons continuity it doesn't like. I say this as someone who has watched all but one New Series episodes and a number of Classic ones. In fact, I daresay the new Trek movies are more faithful in tone to TOS than New Series Doctor Who is to Classic Doctor Who.

17. fireproof78

He has to find all copies of Star Wars on VHS first ;)

18. eyeresist

What would be totally evil is if he broke into your house and replaced your Trek DVDs with the Star Wars prequels. :devil:

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I hope not. I don't need two copies.

20. eyeresist

You don't even need one copy. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.