Will they go back to primeTrek after nuTrek finishes?.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dar70, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

That was a report from an anonymous source that was never corroborated, as far as I was able to find. Only repeated.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Agreed.

Why build upon a new foundation when you can just slap some paint on the old ruin.

3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Also, it's a pretty standard business request, that I don't blame BR for asking.

Personally, I would love to have more Abrams merchandise, and am sad that such negotiations did not pan out in a more positive way for nuTrek merchandise.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

All of that, of course, is hearsay - never let it be said that a lack of evidence derailed a good, bitter Internet rant.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yeah, that's the trouble. The article in The Wrap is the only source, and they cite as their authority "an [unnamed] individual with knowledge of the dispute".

While I'm sure Abrams did have some ideas about marketing and tie-in merchandise, and while CBS was the obvious conduit for distribution, and while an agreement would have needed to be worked out between CBS and Paramount, nothing else about the whole business can be verified.

6. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Was there ever a retraction or denial from any source? An absence of such would strengthen the claim.

Would you choose that at the expense of Prime merchandise?

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Obviously, the only way to settle this and move things forward is for Disney to buy "Star Trek" lock, stock, and barrel. :devil:

8. fireproof78

Yes, I would. My funds tend to be extremely limited, and have a variety of Prime Trek merchandise over the years but more limited in nuTrek variety.

I always prefer more merchandising of current products. This is just me, and I'm aware that is probably not a popular opinion but yeah I would have preferred that, or least more variety.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don't understand why people's panties get in a bunch over stuff like this. If I was Abrams, I probably would've tried to do the same thing. You have an ever shrinking pool to pull from when it comes to people buying merchandise, why would you want to compete with yourself?

10. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That's it exactly. Especially if you're marketing to the younger crowd, it would make the most sense to promote the current product more heavily than the old one. I would think that's better for the franchise going forward, too.

What 13 year-old who liked ST09 and STID wants anything "Star Trek" with the likeness of William Shatner's Kirk on it in a uniform he doesn't recognize?

11. fireproof78

My understanding is that it is viewed as Abrams thinking his product could not compete against Prime Trek, so he is trying to increase his advantage.

I personally, strictly from a business point of view, understand that. The company I work only recently introduced an online element for item purchases, for fear of taking away business from brick and mortar stores.

It goes with every business. There is always a fear of losing revenue in a highly competitive market.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nopers. The only thing that could strengthen the claim would be corroboration.

13. JWPlatt

I would expect Abrams to quickly and easily call bullshit.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That works under the assumption that Abrams knows or cares about the report. His job is to write and direct not deflect bullshit.

Besides, I doubt anyone that believes that report would take his denial as valid.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Arrant nonsense, of the "do you still beat your wife" variety.

People confuse business folk with politicians. It's neither necessary or desirable for people at Paramount or Bad Robot to respond to this kind of speculative, anonymously-sourced ("an individual with knowledge of the dispute") piece. Win or lose, it makes no one any money and pushes no one's career forward to play out or rehash in public stuff that goes on in meetings.

Fans believe stuff like this because they want to, not because of evidence that it's true.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Or not to dignify it with a response, perhaps?

As it stands, it's kind of an anomaly. It was reported, a bunch of other news sites promptly repeated it, pointing back at The Wrap item. And then silence - no follow-up articles, no one ever interviewed Abrams or CBS or Paramount about it - there's just nothing.

Well, nothing except that the Wrap piece gets held up every once in a while as evidence of something-or-other and called a "fact". Which it isn't. Facts are verifiable; all this amounts to is unsubstantiated rumor.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe Trekmovie's Twitter account called BS on it at the time, although they didn't go into any specifics.

18. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Most seem to misread the article anyway (or twist it to fit their perceptions). It specifically states in the first paragraph that the merchandising issue was with regard to the first movie, and then later says that the parties worked "more harmoniously on 'Star Trek Into Darkness'" - which is evident since most of the media tie-ins specifically mentioned earlier in the article ended up happening (nuTrek comics, books and video games, not to mention another movie). The only thing that wasn't made was a new TV show, and I'm not sure Bad Robot wanted to do one anyway.

19. JWPlatt

+1

Looking at Twitter (and reddit lately), it's easy to understand why.

This is a bit of irony, holding up selected facts from one portion of a contested article to discredit another. Not criticizing - I'm amused. It's just how I am. I appreciate irony.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Don't knock CBS for keeping to their guns. I've heard that TMP action figures pull in literally dozens of dollars per year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.