Spoilers Will Hugh still go by "Hugh"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by NewHeavensNewEarth, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Danja

Danja Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Incubators = Maturation Chambers?

2. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really don't care about his name, but I hope it's explained why Hugh appears to be totally human when he would have to have been assimilated well before the Borg contacted humanity.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Seven of Nine. But that was a special case and they constructed a whole backstory around it.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Cartoon Premium Member

Must be one of those human on the outside TOS type aliens ;)

Kor, XCV330, Crewman6 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Why this resistance to accepting that not 100% of drones are assimilated? Why would it make any sense for them all to be assimilated? Why couldn't a lot of them be born as drones? The Borg are efficient, after all. The people they assimilate would have lots and lots of gametes -- why let them go to waste when they could be used to give birth to countless drones that had no pesky memories or personalities to compromise their efficient functioning?

There are many, many Trek alien species that look totally human, even in the Delta Quadrant (see VGR: "Time and Again"). All the Borg in TNG looked human aside from their Borg attributes; it wasn't until VGR that they started to depict assimilatees from multiple species (because, again, it wasn't until VGR that the assumption took hold that all drones were assimilated).

Unimatrix Q and SolarisOne like this.
  5. Danja

Danja Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I doubt he's human.

ITDUDE likes this.
  6. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As dumb as it is, Seven of Nine outright said in some episode of Voyager that the Borg never reproduce biologically - they only assimilate.

I tend to feel that the totally human aliens (as in those even lacking forehead bumps or contacts or whatever) that we saw in early TNG and early VOY were solely due to budgetary limitations. DS9 and ENT avoided them entirely, and none were seen in the Kelvinverse movies or Discovery as well.

XCV330, SolarisOne and Danja like this.
  7. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

The Borg babies in Q Who and Collective were abducted along with their parents and put in maturation chambers I presumed. No one is born a Borg.

ITDUDE, XCV330, DaveyNY and 2 others like this.
  8. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not arguing that at all. I never said I thought Hugh was assimilated. I think it's a better story if he wasn't - his taste of individuality was the first he'd ever experienced and the point of the episode is that even a Borg that's lived his entire life in the collective is capable of becoming an individual, not merely RE-gaining their lost individuality.

Where I was disagreeing with you was when you said that "assimilation was only done in special cases."

There's zero evidence for that and plenty of evidence that tells us that the Borg are assimilation-happy people.

9. Crewman6

Fuck Voyager.

Um, where are you getting that from?

Hythlodeus likes this.
  10. Terok Nor

30 years of Borg episodes? The only Borg that was ever "born" was the lovechild of Seven of Nine and The Doctor's mobile emitter in the episode "Drone". If we're told the Borg reproduce biologically in Picard Episode 3 I'll stand corrected.

ITDUDE likes this.
  11. Crewman6

Never said they reproduce biologically. They (probably) reproduce asexually. But, as "Q Who" shows us, the Borg create babies and then immediately give them implants.

First Borg episode ever.

12. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

this can't be said enough

Unimatrix Q, AndorianAle and Crewman6 like this.
  13. Terok Nor

It didn't show us that. It showed us a baby with implants and Riker assumed. It was later clarified they don't reproduce, only assimilate.

14. Crewman6

"clarification" = Voyager writers fucking up

SolarisOne and Hythlodeus like this.
  15. Hythlodeus

I think we can easily dismiss everything VOY told us, as I hope the show will gradually moved out of canon

16. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

How do you see that

Riker sees a Borg baby

Voyager shows us a Borg baby

Consistent message that babies have borg implants

Danja likes this.
  17. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Premium Member

Well, that would suck for Seven. How do you gradually move it out of canon? I'm not one of Voyager's biggest fans, but it didn't commit that many crimes against canon, did it? So far as The Borg. The TNG writers tweaked it as they went, ramping up the stakes in BOBW with the horrifying scenario of assimilation. Before you come down too hard on Voyager (did I just say that?), just remember it took it's cues for The Borg from TNG - specifically, Star Trek: First Contact.

As to the original question of the thread - he'll be called Hugh. Seems a bit odd to call him anything else.

18. Hythlodeus

brillantly

Crewman6 likes this.
  19. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

A lot of Voyager haters in this thread. Don't tell them about Seven (and possibly the holo Doc) appearing on Picard.

20. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Rear Admiral Premium Member

Just wait until we find out Harry Kim is in charge of the Enterprise (with Naiomi being his first officer)