Wild Wacky Idea: How About A Slow, Thoughtful Trek For Us Old People?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by slappy, Jan 7, 2021.

1. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

And I love Picard. I think it has the benefit of starting a beloved character from a very successful era, as well. I still think it suggests a bit from modern pew pew shooty video game action syndrome.

People mention BOBW and YE as examples of episodes that price people want action. That only proves to me that people want action with weight. When your main characters are all double clutching two phasers, gangster style, in an anti-grav scenario, anticipating an imminent warp corp breach....in what ends up being someone's dream ...it ceases to have the same effect.

I said SNW would be the closest. And you just laid out why it would be risky. It's not re-inventing the wheel as far as concepts go.

Honestly, if they asked me, I would do something completely off the wall. A mini about the last mission of the Enterprise B. Cuz why not.

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It depends on the person. For me it carries weight because it matters to the characters. The argument that I struggle with that frustrates me is that if a character comes back to life then their death supposedly means nothing. It's not like the characters know they are going to live or come back. So how does that reduce the weight?

That's my view, any way.

3. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

You know what I miss? A nice senior staff meeting around a conference table. Have a chat about options, get people's thoughts, decide on a course of action, dismissed! :)

Xhiandra, slappy and Search4 like this.
  4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I worked my way around this problem. I just created a new watch-list of episodes for myself in the future, so I can skip anything not on the list... and avoid running into "Oh no! Not this episode!" ever again.

When I did my re-watch leading up to Picard last year, I still had to think a lot of the time, "I haven't seen this episode since I was in high school. What will I think of it now that I'm 40?" But now that I know, it made putting together that list really easy. I just chopped out anything I gave below a 7.

5. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Good point, there's no reason to watch everything.

It's staring at the prospects of turds like "Aquiel" that causes me to abandon hope. No reason to watch something that is weak, though!

6. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Even I don't watch all of TNG. There, I admitted it. :lol:

Lord Garth, Vger23 and The Wormhole like this.
  7. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

for me, TNG watching is like viewing Bob Ross. I don't really care what is going on, and I'm not really paying much attention. It's The Waltons of space.

Richard S. Ta, Midquest and Vger23 like this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it weird I like that episode?

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

No, not at all man. Like....you're totally good. Don't worry about it.

Totally.....

[​IMG]

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It's not as weird as liking "Masks"...

11. fireproof78

Hey now!

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

I like Masks too!!

Richard S. Ta, Vger23 and fireproof78 like this.
  13. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Masks has some campy fun to it. I can get behind liking that. Aquiel was terrible though.

Richard S. Ta and MrPicard like this.
  14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Your campy fun is my had to spread out rewatching it over three nights because I couldn't stay awake.

15. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Imagine Discovery having this as a storyline. People would cancel their subscriptions the same day.

The Wormhole and Paul Weaver like this.
  16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I have trouble getting through TOS except for a handful of the best episodes because of the camp factor and reductionism.

TNG the only issue I have is I watched it so many times in high school and college it’s ruined for me.

I agree that the long season format that allows for downtime episodes gives the viewer a comfier place to settle into.

Paul Weaver likes this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

TOS is the only series I'm likely to watch at all these days. Occasionally one of the movies, usually the Abrams films (my SO prefers them).

18. fireproof78

TOS is my go to for simple watching.

19. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Picard was going to be the slow thoughtful trek for old people and it kind of felt like that in the first 3 episodes. Frankly I would be all in on Picard just being about Picard hanging out at his vinyard with his Romulan friends, while having dinners with his friend/doctor and sometimes going to Starfleet Headquarters to consult with Starfleet Command on some political issue going on. All while dealing with the fact he is lonely and in the twilight of his life and maybe their is new hot shot Starfleet Captain of the current year Enterprise people are saying is the best Starfleet Captain since Kirk so maybe even some jealousy.

Jason

Xhiandra and F. King Daniel like this.
  20. F. King Daniel

This except he and his housekeepers are solving crimes each episode.