Why was the Ent-D sickbay so small? And why only one doctor?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by The Rock, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Captain Captain

You'd think on a ship that size that they'd have a small hospital, plus staff.

2. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

There's a reason you take off your cover in the mess hall....

3. Josh Kelton

Josh Kelton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It doesn't look like it. In the episode "Waking Moments", The Doctor complains about how his repeated requests for a larger Sickbay fall on deaf ears.

4. Deks

Deks Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even on a ship with 150 people aboard... one doctor and a nurse don't seem to be enough.

We've seen that in some extreme situations, sickbay was overcome with wounded... but most of the time that isn't the case.
    I still think the ship should have had at least some backups for extreme emergencies... say like a team of holo-nurses and EMH's which could materialize at any deck to provide aid if such a situation arose... otherwise, leave one doc and nurse to man sickbay on a regular basis and switch them out with holo's occasionally.

5. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It seems to me that ideally the minimum number of doctors on a ship would be two, so that if the main doctor is sick there's someone available to treat them. It also means they can have shifts, and days off.

The fact that the EMH became a series regular shows that Voyager's medical staff definitely wasn't enough, but I like the EMH so it all worked out.

danellis and DEWLine like this.
  6. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

To be fair, do we know how big the medical staff was before they lost people when they were zapped to the delta quadrant?

7. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kim says that they lost their doctor, Paris says they lost their nurse too. They're new to the ship though so they might just be counting bodies on the floor.

8. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

In the RW, a 150-crew "cruiser" wouldn't have any graduate level medical professionals at all, but would have make do with an enlisted corpsman (typically a first class to senior chief) who would cross train non-rates and deck crew as secondary responders. However, science officers are fairly rate IRL compared to Starfleet, so something like the situation on NX-01 where a Life Sciences Officer (exobiologist? xenobiologist? What's the diff?) doubles as the medical officer would make sense. In the case of Voyager, this would have probably been Exobiology Officer Samantha Wildman, who was considerably more qualified to act as assistant medical officer than Paris.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says that was the only sickbay?

10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One more reason why I wish the VOYTM or VOY Haynes Manual had been published. :-(

11. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Admiral

12. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Captain Captain

Sorry, maybe my post looked like it was following from the aircraft carrier tangent.

I was referring to the Enterprise-D from the TV Show, Star Trek TNG.