Why not invent new characters?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nintendo1889, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Hollywood has been in the remake business since the silent era, and many beloved films are actually remakes. See also Some Like It Hot, Victor/Victoria, The Thing, The Fly, etc. I remembering rolling my eyes when folks complained recently about Universal remaking THE MUMMY, given that the "classic" Brendan Fraser movie was at least the third remake of the original 1932 Karloff movie.

Granted, the line between "remake" and "new adaption" gets blurry, depending on how much a remake draws from the previous adaptations as opposed to the original book or play or whatever.

One nitpick: The Phantom of the Opera has been remade many times, but I believe the 1925 silent movie with Lon Chaney is the original movie version, based on the novel by the Gaston Leroux. Perhaps you were thinking of the 1940s remake starring Claude Rains?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Doom Shepherd likes this.
  2. ScottJ85

ScottJ85 Captain Captain

Go watch all three seasons of The Expanse, then come back, look me dead in the eye and say that again keeping a straight face.

3. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking of the now-lost German film made in 1915. (I wouldn't have known about it except that the wife is a Phantom buff.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Phantom_der_Oper

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Interesting! I was unaware of that one.

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Without digressing into tangents, the name "Star Trek" and its movie legacy resonates. While the franchise has (IMHO) generally done better on the small screen, it would have a draw since it often made success on the big screen. Along with "cultural zeitgeist", "mo' money" "mo' money" "mo' money", or whatever it's called. After years of zilch, here's this new movie, reviving and exploiting characters (based on names and accorded stereotypes for the most part) was done.

As a generic popcorn movie without the Trek trademarks, the 2009 movie would still do rather well on its own merits as a sci-fi action thriller, but the use of Star Trek names just felt out of place. It didn't feel like Star Trek. But it did feel like a high school reenactment of some veneer given a tremendously huge budget. And Leonard Nimoy graciously getting involved to hopefully reduce the shock of the formula change for more established fans.

But the Trek name might bring in more money than a bunch of rando names with rando title, regardless of plot. It's not creative, it's not risky, it's not bold, but it's not easy to build something from scratch or to innovate while making its own be seen as its own (e.g. the makers of TNG trying not to use TOS as a crutch, but that was then.)