Why is Star Trek: Nemesis hated so much?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Damian, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

I see it like I do the Bond films - they've pretty much all got some villain looking for world domination or whatever, but I don't see those being accused of copying what came before, it's just kind of expected from the franchise, Trek films get slated for it because of it's extensive TV history, where Earth-attacking villains were pretty thin on the ground by and large and a multitude of other themes were (rightly) explored. I expect the stakes to be raised considerably when I watch a Trek movie (otherwise what's the point), which is why I generally regard Insurrection and, especially The Final Frontier to be the worst films in the franchise.

Regardless of how you view the objective quality of Nemesis, you can't deny at least it felt like the stakes were high, the crew were at serious risk - there's a major character's death and on first viewing it really felt like they were fucked and had no way of getting out of the situation after the desperate ramming sequence. Bar the Riker fight, I think the third act of Nemesis rocks. It felt very much like the end of The Wrath of Khan to me, which was obviously deliberate. Unoriginal yes, but exciting and entertaining nonetheless.

Damian likes this.
  2. trekfan39

trekfan39 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Personally I don't hate Nemesis as much as some people seem to but I can see it's problems in fact the first time I watched it I turned to my wife after and said that sucked! which I don't think I had ever done before and I know I haven't felt that way about a Trek film since then.

I feel like the truth of it is that it just had a bad story and that fall on a lot of people including John Logan, Brent Spiner and Patrick Stewart as they all had a had in crafting it. Problem two IMO is that Paramount forced a director that didn't know trek on them, even the TNG cast members said this was a problem but I will give Stuart Baird this he did make it feel more theatrical and not like an episode of the next generation like the other films felt.

There's really two things I find tragic about this movie, One that this is how the TNG cast went out and Two they had a golden opportunity to do a great big screen story about the Dominion war- Yes I know a lot of people feel this would be to dark but remember they said they wanted a darker film then insurrection for some reason. They also could have gone back to the reunification story line from TNG and ask Leonard Nimoy back but again they either didn't think of this or for some reason just didn't want to go there.

3. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too thought Nemesis felt more like a movie, along with First Contact. Those were the 2 TNG movies that felt like they belonged in a theater. I could not envision either as a TV episode, unlike Generations and Insurrection.

I always thought Insurrection should have been a Dominion War story, esp. since it was made at the same time the war was going on at DS9. Other than a few token mentions, you would never know there was a war going on at the time. I mean, you'd think the flagship of Starfleet would have been involved. And I don't hate Insurrection. Of the 4 TNG it does rank 4th in my book, but it was ok. It didn't really have the scope of a movie, the storyline was a bit simplistic and the humor at times fell flat. But it had it's moments and I always thought Insurrection had beautiful cinematography.

But I thought they could have done a Dominion War story that wouldn't have interfered with DS9, and I'm sure they could have come up with a story that you wouldn't necessarily have to watch or know about DS9 to follow.

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Has one of the best scores as well. I listen to it all the time. That and the MI2 score.

Damian likes this.
  5. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved all of Goldsmith's scores. I can't say any were lacking. The man was a master at composing, and not just for Star Trek. He had so many great scores. You could be watching the worse movie ever made, but if he scored the music you know at least it would sound like an Academy Award level movie.

6. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds good although I would prefer a storyline where the Vulcan settlers landed on both planets but found Remus uninhabitable by their standards and found a race of primitive creatures that they quickly defeated and used them to mine Dylithium or put them in their armies as shock troops! That sounds more like the Romulan way to me to be honest!
    JB

7. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Dang. Kudos to Logan, then, as Stewart AS Shinzon would have been something of an improvement - Tom Hardy is a good actor, but he doesn't make for an interesting clone-under-incredible-conditions. No actor would, TBH. It needed Stewart in a dual role, but don't those come with a dual paycheck? Throwing out, of course, how hideously contrived the clone idea was from the get-go...

And for something worth watching that has clones, try this show instead:
    [​IMG]
    (Hint: The clone is on the left. Or on the right. Depends if it's on your left or their left or your right or their right... just never ask either of them if the other is standing nearby.)

Marsden and Galileo7 like this.
  8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The film was released after DS9 had finished surely? Riker's speech about the Remans being in the Dominion conflict was a thing of the recent past type of comment I thought!
    JB

9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hated Nemesis on first sight, without any involvement in fan discussion at all (well, my family discussed it a bit). Probably the biggest reason at the time was that I was very much looking forward to a movie about the Romulans. Not only did I not get that, but instead I got a movie about a boring human villain leading an army of dracula rejects with completely rote characterization who had all the subtlety of a herd of elephants and yet they somehow managed to assassinate the ENTIRE leadership of the most paranoid, security conscious empire in the Trek franchise. It was nonsensical and idiotic and as a fan of the Romulans in general, it pissed me off. But it also wasn't the only thing that was wrong with the movie - Shinzon was a crap character to begin with and I never once bought his connection to Picard, B4 was a travesty at every point, there was the dumb mind-rape, and, generally, there were absolutely no interesting character moments that stood out for me at all. It was just generally a bad movie, even entirely separate from having pissed me off.

I do get the concept of good potentially outweighing the bad (TUC is my second favorite movie), but for me it doesn't even remotely apply to Nemesis because it's almost exclusively bad mixed with who cares. The only thing I remember actually liking are some of the new ship designs and that romulan commander who had 3 seconds of screen time. I always find it funny when people talk about how they like Nemesis because its good looking or it has the best ship battle in the franchise because - while I don't even disagree - I can't for the life of me understand how that kind of window dressing can possibly make up for the utter bs that is the rest of this movie. I don't even watch Star Trek for ship battles, anyway, since even the best battle in Trek history couldn't hold a candle to the battle scenes of other franchises that actually focus on that sort of thing. And with the ongoing advance of technology, a movie looking better than what came before it should be a given, not an accomplishment.

This is exactly why I hated the entire concept of B4. If you're going to kill Data, then commit to it and make it huge. Don't telegraph the fact that you're still keeping your options open by introducing an obvious replacement. And the fact that it never followed through actually makes it even worse, since it comes across as B4 being a literal replacement for Data - it's ok we lost our friend, because we have this other android to take his place, and all those memories and personality and sh!t that's dead and gone, they didn't matter.

Marsden likes this.
  10. Cynthia McNeill

Cynthia McNeill Ensign Newbie

11. Cynthia McNeill

i loved nemesis, it's #2 on my list of favorite star trek movies, how can people not like it???

12. Cynthia McNeill

13. Cynthia McNeill

I can see that, i would have liked to see Tomalak in Nemesis

arch101 and Butters like this.
  14. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

It's my favourite TNG movie.

Vger23 likes this.
  15. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was just, not that good, really, it had its moments. The wedding was nice, and it was good to see many old faces there, but there were so many wuh moments.

Picard clone rises from the dilithium mines to overthrow the Romulan government. Wuh?

Thalaron radiation? What’s that? Tertiary EM? Won’t the shields just handle that, being electromagnetic and all that? But it it’s range is limitless? It’s all just too wuh.

And they find this positronic android, find of the century if admiral jarrock is to be believed, and they burried it on a dusty rock in the hope that the Enterprise would spot the positronic signature while at warp many light years away, so that they could use B-Plot, sorry, B4, to infiltrate the Enterprise and glean strategic information that they don’t actually need because of their perfect cloak and infinitely self propagating mega weapon. What if another ship found it and couldn’t assemble it?
    Shinzon could just as easily collected Picard from the wedding, murdered Earth and been back in the Romulan senate before the biodust settled.

I don’t hate the movie, but I only watch it for the characters, the story is irredeemable.

Dukhat, Smellmet and XCV330 like this.
  16. Philip Guyott

Philip Guyott Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am sure everyone would have loved the film had they not killed Data :lol:.

I also think that if this had not been the final TNG movie (so far :shifty:) we could all live with it. But it was not an appropriate way to say goodbye to characters we had been following for years.

I did like the music, the action, and the overall story. Not the best written Star Trek movie, but certainly not the worst.

When I was younger I was embarrassed to to admit to others that I was a Trekkie. None of my friends liked Star Trek. Yet, we all went to see this film and they all enjoyed it.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Vger23 likes this.
  17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don’t quite agree. TFF wasn’t the last movie with the original cast, and it’s still a heaping pile of crap.

But yes, I would have preferred to have a better goodbye to the TNG cast. Oh well. At least their final moments weren’t just some holodeck fantasy of Riker’s...

18. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

2 movies in a row where the bad guy has a giant ship that unfolds very slowly and suspensefully to unleash some strange kind of deadly radiation. Nothing causes "franchise fatigue" faster than repetitive storylines. It bespeaks a lack of creativity. It says "I'm out of ideas".

suarezguy likes this.