Why have there been no Kelvinverse novels?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PaddyRyan1706, Jun 18, 2017.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, that's definitely some interesting and eye-opening stuff.

2. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I read the novels and I like the Kelvinverse.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I write the novels and I like the new movies.

Seriously, the idea that all us old-school fans "hate" the reboot has been wildly exaggerated.

4. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As a old-school fan I wouldn't say I hate the Abrams-verse movies, that goes too far, I just like all the other Trek movies better. Unless you like all the movies equally, there are going to be movies at the bottom of your personal list.

5. WARLOCK1965

WARLOCK1965 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So very true each person has their own likes and dislikes but I will give each movie or series respect on it on unverse of being as I do the comic books and novels

6. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet it persists.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It makes for a nice, simple narrative: "Old versus new, classic versus modern, old fogeys versus callow youngsters, 'real' fans versus fake fans, fandom versus the masses, us against them."

Real life is seldom so binary. :)

Ovation, JoeP and WARLOCK1965 like this.
  8. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And it would be really reaching if they said, "Oh, this happened in an alternate reality alternate timeline..."

WARLOCK1965 likes this.
  9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Barring a renegotiation of the license agreements, I suppose we can still hope that the novels will eventually be leaked to the public.

They've gotta be out there somewhere, and if they are, they will be found. Hackers will get ahold of them and release them.

Yeah, sure, a bunch of Trek novels may not exactly be the most exciting target, but there's lots of fans who'd love to read these novels, and so there's always a market for things like this.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

^^ I'm surprised this hasn't happened already. How long has been? 8 years since they were supposed to come out? Is there still a chance they might be published?

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

A few of the authors have expressed the opinion that no, they likely won't ever be published.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm not. The authors and editors all still work on Star Trek, so they wouldn't want to burn the bridge, and the handful of other people with access wouldn't care any more than they would to steal any other unpublished novel.

Also, at this point, the best ideas from the books have almost certainly been recycled into the authors' more recent novels by this point, and several storyline specifics have been said to have been contradicted by Into Darkness or Beyond. They'd be little more than a curiosity at this point.