Why have there been no Kelvinverse novels?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by PaddyRyan1706, Jun 18, 2017.

1. PaddyRyan1706

PaddyRyan1706 Lieutenant Red Shirt

It just strikes me as a bit odd?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Four were written in preparation for a summer 2010 release, but they were pulled at the last minute. Something to do with Bad Robot wanting more control over tie-in products, and it's resulted in the Kelvin universe being "off limits" to Pocket's Trek novel line. The novelverse is currently in something of a quandary, because they can't feature anything from the Kelvin universe movies, which includes the 2387 supernova which destroyed Romulus - and the "present day" of the novelverse is 2386. More on that HERE.

We did get four Starfleet Academy young adult prequel novels.

3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whenever this comes up, this Bad Robots vs Pockets' TrekLit universe, all I can think of is....

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Well, Pocket is in license renewal negotiations with CBS, and I can't imagine the KT issue isn't something they're trying to find a solution to. Of course, we probably won't know until something overtly from the new films is slipped into a novel as a tease. Or maybe they'll be wildly impatient with the whole thing and tell us immediately that the epic three-part miniseries Countdown to Prose is now on the board, just like they did with Trip's death.

5. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably marketability. The type of hardcore Trekkie to read a Trek novel tends to also hate the Kelvinverse. Just not enough demand.

6. F. King Daniel

By that logic, they'd be no novels for Enterprise and they'd definitely never risk writing anything for Discovery - but there's loads of ENT novels, including an ongoing post-ENT series (Rise of the Federation) and the first DSC novel is already written and awaiting release concurrent to the show's debut.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  7. queerTrekker

queerTrekker Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

there was a novelization of the first kelvin film that i know of, and i think there was a series set in the Academy Days of Kirk, but I think the series was discontinued or it never made it to full publication, i can't remember which.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure if you ever frequent the Trek Literature section of the forum, but if you did, you'd find that statement is way of.

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  9. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

remember anticipating the Spock Prime novel (Hazards of Concealing). I guess they got shut down due to the sequel

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I would think the main reason is they don't want anyone mucking up the canvass that they are still painting on.........and they want complete control over any tie ins. Just a thought.

Captain Triggered and somebuddyX like this.
  11. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

Also there wouldn't be Kelvin Timeline comic books, and there are, and that series has been ongoing since 2011.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The whole thing with the cancelled novels from 2010 always seemed sloppy and suspicious to me, IMO. Cover images and back cover blurbs were released and the books were made available to pre-order and than almost instantly afterwards it was announced they were being pulled with no explanation. There's a lot more to that story, IMO.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  13. Balok's Decoy

Balok's Decoy Commodore Commodore

What do you think is going on there?

14. The Wormhole

Don't know, but something.

15. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

they just dropped the ball. the kelvin verse should have had novels and a cartoon

somebuddyX likes this.
  16. WARLOCK1965

WARLOCK1965 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sometime the powers that be do back steps for no reason that they will talk about but it most likely was done due to the licensing contracts not being signed

somebuddyX likes this.
  17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wish somebody from Pocket Books would just come clean on exactly what happened. :rolleyes:

Kor

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  18. WARLOCK1965

WARLOCK1965 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good luck to all on finding out what happening with the books

19. The Wormhole

It really is a convoluted mess. The authors who post on this forum claim they were never provided an explanation for why they books were pulled, but they were still paid in full anyways. The party line has been that Bad Robot didn't want them published because they didn't get to supervise them, though Orci actually denied Bad Robot had anything to do with pulling them.

So, we have the situation of four novels which had money spent on them being pulled mere days after the public became aware of them, thereby preventing Pocket the opportunity to make back the money they already spent with no explanation and the ones able to explain this are just pointing fingers at one another. This eleventh hour decision created a four-month gap in the 2010 schedule in which there were no Trek novels published.

Even ignoring the fact that's just dicking people around, publishing these novels could have helped keep the new movie continuity on the radar between movies, since by getting tie-in novels a year after the movie's release you're still kind of striking while the iron is hot, but what do I know?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  20. F. King Daniel

I'm not keen on shit-stirring, but posts on this page as well as this one may be of interest.

Whatever happened (or perhaps didn't), what's done is done and we've since learned that those four written novels were rendered unpublishable by events in Into Darkness anyway.