Why Don't You Listen To Audio Trek?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Wowbagger, Oct 23, 2009.

1. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As a bit of an OTR junkie, I have to agree with some of the critiques above.

Something that occurs to me with some of the voice-talents' lines sounding more like they're reading than speaking is that it is because some of the dialogue SOUNDS like something written rather than spoken. Dialogue is HARD to write well -- and when you're working on an audio medium, it's doubly hard, as it has to be both dialogue *and* information.

I might join the forum myself, as I'd love to get involved in this. It's been too long since I've done other media.

Tony

2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The welcome mat is out Tony!

3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Commodore Commodore

Agreed! Please do!

4. Kirok_of_LStok

Kirok_of_LStok Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Your feedback as potential listeners has been most informative and, although I can't fix all the issues, one thing I can give you is a pretty comprehensive listing of what is out there for you to listen to. Some have said that the bulk of material is daunting but then so to is walking into a bookshop or library. I think the key to getting more listeners is to "package" the production in such a way as to attract people into wanting to listen to it. Whether that is graphics such as CD cover art, easy download/CD options, teasers and trailers or supporting fan fiction and other media - or all of the above! - is for the individual group to decide.

Personally I like the way that Pendant Productions have done the "box sets" for DIXIE STENBERG AND BRASSY BATTALION. Of course a group could not charge for the CD set, but everything could be made available online so that a prospective user could download it - the Jewel case art, label, torrent for the full season in high quality.

I know there are some errors in the listing, PM me if you find any so I can correct it next week but I have another 8 days to go in six days! >whoooosh< What was that?! Just me performing the Picard maneuver!:lol:

Day 4: Audio Dramas

[RIGHT][​IMG][/RIGHT]

In the five years that fans have been making Star Trek audio dramas we have built up a sizable body of work with over 170 episodes. Recently there have been attempts to create directories of them so its only fair that I open the archives of The House of L'Stok to the public to give you the details as they were recorded by my loyal minions.

Today's present is a listing of every Star Trek audio drama known to me as the posting date. Are they good? That's for you to decide!

Coming tomorrow? Five Fan Films!

Kirok of L'Stok
    Fan Production Curmudgeon

5. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

And a very excellent gift that 4th day is!

6. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Thank you for this mighty gift! Glory to you and your houssssssse!

7. Sohkraites

Sohkraites Cadet Newbie

Baxart, as one of the creative people behind Star Trek:Outpost (I've highjacked my co-creators account here), I would like to second Wowbagger's appreciation of your comments. While it is always nice to be praised, and even criticized (as long as it doesn't get personal), comments like yours ... thoughtful critiques that actually make us think ourselves ... are rare and greatly appreciated.

If there is one difficulty I have had trying to write for audio is the fact that everything does have to be done through dialog or ambient sound, which is not a frame of mind that the medias of television, movies, and video games have encouraged. In audio, as you said, the characters have to describe what is going on without sounding like they are describing what is going on for the sake of an audience. It came as quite an epiphany to me four or five episodes in when I realized it's okay to write monologs and soliloquies for the actors, because while inherently stilted, it's necessary. With Star Trek, the established crutch of the Captain's Log actually is a boon to me as a writer. On the other hand, having voiced a character as well, those long speeches are difficult to perform. It's a balancing act. And with us, we always try to have the balance fall in favor of the story.

The other issue is time. I have been amazed at how little can fill up an episode. It has been observed that Outpost could use more action. And it could. But without a narrator or ring-side announcer, describing action is even more difficult than describing location, because action is dynamic while a location is relatively stable. Thus, it becomes an artistic choice as to how much work you do for your audience, and how much you rely on them to interpret what is happening. Inevitably, this will never satisfy everyone. Particularly if we try something that is, at least for us, new or innovative.

Finally, referring back to a point I made above about the nature of the prevailing media of the day, I would like to throw out another idea about why people are not, do not, or may not listen to Star Trek audio. While there are scores of novels, and even a few 'canon' audio adventures, Star Trek is a television / movie series. It is by its nature visual. Watching the Enterprise orbiting a planet rotating quietly beneath it is a breath-taking visual. Something like that cannot be easily replicated in audio. The audience is conditioned to the visual, so something that is purely audio may just seem ... wrong to them.

Again, we appreciate your comments! Thanks for listening!

Dan McIntosh
    Co-Writer/Director/Producer, Star Trek: Outpost
    Giant Gnome Productions

8. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I'm about to go online with my PC, and I will be investigating more of these as soon as I am online.

9. finnobrit

finnobrit Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Trek is subject to the same pressures as any other piece of fiction. Radio/audio dramas across the board simply do not get the same ratings as television. For whatever reason, people simply prefer to watch TV instead of listening to the radio. :(

I think perhaps most people find it easier to focus on something they can see. If they have to use their imagination, which is the case with radio and books, a lot of them just don't bother. This is a shame because your imagination is the best way of doing sci-fi IMHO, it makes all kinds of interesting concepts plausible and possible. The Hitchhiker's Guide would never have been made if it had started on TV.

I used to attend a writing course for radio drama in the UK, and it was a very grim atmosphere. No one makes radio drama in Britain except the BBC, and they only spend a tiny proportion of their budget on it. There was virtually no prospect of our scripts being produced unless we paid for it ourselves, and making a good quality radio drama was surprisingly expensive (though it's perhaps a little cheaper and easier now thanks to technology advances). Commercial radio stations in Britain are allowed to do drama, and a few have experimented, but none have carried it on in the long term.

This definitely isn't a Trek-only phenomenon: compare how many read/listened to the Harry Potter books vs how many saw the films.

10. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

I will also add Decoder Ring Theater & the new Twilight Zone to Stonester's list.
    http://decoderring.libsyn.com/
    http://www.twilightzoneradio.com/

Hey Dan, thanks for jumping Sohkraites' account and chiming in. It is a juggling act and you're doing fine, you just need to stretch a little further.

I recommend taking a listen to the Navy Lark, it's a 1950's BBC military sitcom, but you can hear how they tackled some of the action and shipboard issues. You can find a torrent of all 46 available episodes here: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4433154/The_Navy_Lark_46_episodes.
    The Voyage of the Scarlet Queen, also tackles shipboard life and issues, available at the internet archive (it's short but very good & features an extended plot line): http://www.archive.org/details/voyageofthescarletqueenotr
    I will also point you to the excellent Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar available on the internet archive here (specifically, listen to the multi-part episodes: 233-512): http://www.archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_Yours_Truly_Johnny_Dollar (I freely admit that my, as yet unproduced, audio Trek scripts borrow heavily from YTJD)

And feel free to contact me through private message if you'd like me to chime in a little more specifically. I've been writing back and forth with James about Starship Excelsior's next episode (he let me beta read it), and I'll let him tell you what he thinks of my input (and my whacking him with a 2x4 at times trying to get him to drink the kool-aid.)

12. baxart

baxart Commander Red Shirt

Just finished listening to ST:O 10.
    While the story leaves a little to be desired, (it seems to mostly be a transitional episode, getting us from where we were, to where we're going), the writing for radio was spot-on.

Nice clear scene changes! I especially want to mention the one at the end (Knox & Torkelson) when you backed up the scene and replayed it from a different POV. Very Nice Job. Also the sound effects were well grounded (except maybe during Knox's monologue, when they could have come down a couple/few decibels), and there were no long sound-scapes without dialog. You also clearly identified the speakers and described the action and settings.

Well done! You are drinking the kool-ade! Keep up the good work!

I will caution you that your main cast seems to be getting a little large and advise you to watch that.

13. Andy_Tyrer

Andy_Tyrer Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Here's a good reason to listen then...

Continuing Mission releases latest episode featuring a host of Hollywood and Star Trek actors.

Starring all of the regular cast, Captain Edwards is forced to take a desperate gambit to uncover the mystery behind the group known only as The Sword of Romulus.

FEATURING SPECIAL GUEST STARS
    • Daniel Roebuck ( US Marshals, The Fugitive, Halloween II, Lost, Boston Legal)
    • Spice Williams-Crosby (Star Trek V: The Final Frontier)
    • Celeste Yarnall (Star Trek TOS, Columbo, Live a little, Love a Little)
    • Evan English (Star Trek: Enterprise)
    • Mark Allen-Shepherd (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
    • Larry Nemecek (Star Trek Voyager writer and noted Star Trek author)
    EPISODE DOWNLOAD: CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE EPISODE

CD Cover: Download Now

EPISODE EXTRAS

As mentioned previously, in addition to the release of 'We Will Control All That You See and Hear', we will be offering members the chance to download exclusive audio interviews with the special guest stars.

To be eligible to download this exclusive content, all you have to do is register for a free membership account on the Continuing Missions Forums.

An exclusive interview with Daniel Roebuck - Click here
    An exclusive Interview with Celeste Yarnall - Click here
    An exclusive Interview with Spice Williams-Crosby - Click here
    An exclusive Interview with Evan English - Click here

If you enjoyed the episode, all we ask is that you spread the word about the series to other fans, forums and media sites.

Star Trek: The Continuing Mission will return soon for all new episodes....

14. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

And if you'd like to read a review of "We Will Control" either before or after you listen to the program, check out my Fan Film Friday column at SciFiPulse.net here: http://scifipulse.net/?p=19868