Why Does The Universe Exist?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dryson, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I can't see much can be done about the inevitable heat death of the universe -- maybe transfer consciousness into a substrate that runs ever more slowly, exploiting minute differences in temperature?

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Mweh, I don't believe in any kind of end for the universe, there will be a big bang happening elsewhere or maybe at the same spot, might be there's a weak spot in time/quantum/space/dimensions/whatever you wanna callit which will break and kboom the whole thing starts over.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

The heat death isn't an end any more than is a spring unwinding on a clock but there would be nothing working to record it. In a state of maximum entropy there is no further usable energy.

Maybe the quantum vacuum (aka dark energy) kicks everything off again as suggested in conformal cyclic cosmology, for example. It's pretty much as far as one can get from a scientifically testable hypothesis without being metaphysics.

Patterns in the CMB might imply the existence of a previous cycle, but will we ever know for sure? If there is a big rip due to dark energy that eventually pulls even subatomic particles apart, it's more or less the same result effectively although maybe there would be no CMB residuals.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    Santaman likes this.
  4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda frustrating not knowing exactly.. :borg:

5. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Unless we're inside a multi-verse where universes like ours keep appearing endlessly, in which case maybe we could transfer to one of these younger universes when ours is entropically dead.

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Galactus did that.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

So God can have a good laugh now and then.

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I feel like this is more of a philosophical/metaphysical/spiritual question, than a Sci & Tech one.

Kor

9. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that when you ask "Why?" you're practically answering it.

What if there's no "why"? What if the universe just is?

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I actually like that. It doesn't need an explanation, it is because it is.

11. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

What if there's no "why"? What if the universe just is?

There is no such thing as "It just is." Such a comment is nothing more than a generalized comment too try and keep people from understanding the Universe but more so too understand the scammer trying too pull a fast one on you to get money out of your pocket or fired because you don't hold the comment as the truth.

Its the same comment as Keep It Simple which the talking heads use all of the time to make themselves feel superior to some based on acting as if they are God and speaking his spoken word.

Not even anywhere near being wrong.

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Yes, I can see how my comment is a little too succinct for some to understand. Let me be more explicit then:

"Why?" is a false question. When you ask "Why?" you imply that there must be an explanation like when people ask "Why does this happen to me?" they're implying knowingly or unknowingly that they must have done something wrong and that their woes are some kind of punishment for it, which means that they are excluding the possibility that their problems are not linked to anything they've done before. Just like when a lion cub is killed by an adult lion, often his own father, the most likely way for a lion cub to die. It's not because the cub did anything wrong but just because that's how nature works.

"Why?" is not a question. It's an implying that there is an explanation for it and that "someone" holds the key. Note that people who ask "why?" are usually quick to follow it with "who?" which is, even more, a false question.

13. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Habitable Planets

If the Earth has a drum beat that is like a single instrument in an orchestra and Earth drum beat is very intricant and unique then its drum beat when added to the orchestral ensemble of the Sol system would set a solar apart as having a planet like Earth present compared to a solar system that does not.

An Earth like planet would create similar drum beats based on its level of habitable environment when interacting with the sun.

I will post the NASA link later on.

When the protective magnetic bubble around Earth is struck by jets of plasma, it behaves like a giant drum.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddar...mphony-earth-s-magnetic-field-drops-the-beat/

The keyword here is resonance. When the drumbeat of all of the objects in our solar system plays it create a unique resonance that distinguishes the Sol system from other solar systems. I'm not certain how far the resonance travels through interactions with space based particles but based on Sir Issac Newtons Third Law there should be a transfer or communication sent over the particles affected.
    If such a resonance is detected by space based or planetary based bacteria, more so the Mycoplasma genus, the resonance could deliver the frequency of vibration that the Mycoplasma would understand that it would then use as a set of instructions to build its DNA from thus creating a higher life form.
    Even though the beat of Earth would be hidden in the ensemble of our Solar Systems orchestra the Earth's heartbeat would none the less be present that a well trained ear or microbe would tune into based frequencies that the microbe liked and stimulated its growth.
    If the resonance of our solar systems heartbeat is able to be passed into the Universe over atoms and reaches another solar system with plant life on it and bacteria such as the Mycoplasma genus then perhaps life was created in the same manner on planets such as Earth or close to being Earth like.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

So you're implying that bacteria have a (collective?) mind and that mind "decides" what form future evolution will take?

Or maybe there's a planet fairy that just hit rocks with her magic wand and turns them into living things?

Who knows?

15. Asbo Zaprudder

16. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I frakking love this

StarCruiser likes this.
  17. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

^ It's SAMMY - of course you love it! :beer:

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon