Why didnt Luke have "Sabre visions"??

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by WraithDukat, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Simple Luke didn't possibly have two dead Jedi Masters hanging around as Force ghosts who could be quietly nudging him to do and see things.

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^Beat me to it. We know of three or four former Jedi who might be influencing her from the beyond.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

In response to the question: "If Rey gets called by and given visions by the Lightsabre why didnt Luke?"

You said: "Because Lucas was making it up as he went?"

Which makes no sense at all. Given that Lucas didn't write ( or direct ) TFA, the saber-vision thing did not come from him. In the SW movies which he is responsible for, there are consistently no saber visions. In the SW movie which was made independently of him, there is a saber vision. So this is not an issue of Lucas changing his mind or being inconsistent with himself as your response and examples implied.

Vader and Luke's father being different people changed into Vader being Luke's father.

Luke and Leia not being related changed into Luke and Leia being siblings.

Luke's saber not giving Force visions changed into Luke's saber giving Force visions.

One of these things is not like the others.

Can you see the difference?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't think it was the saber that caused her visions. It was her awakening Jedi powers. Maybe touching the saber simply gave her a huge "Force shock" because it was a focal point of Luke and Vader's auras.

But I think saying the vision came from the saber is not to dissimilar than saying the visions resulted from Midichlorians, and we don't want to go there.

And arguably, we have seen similar "visions" in the past. Luke vs Vader in the Dagobah tree, Anakin's nightmares about Padme's death, the Emperor's whole "I have foreseen it!" schtick. Some are controlled, some aren't, but visions and the Force have always gone hand in hand.

BillJ and Kor like this.
  5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It makes for a nice storytelling moment, but if I think part of it is she might have some repressed memories or mind-wiping that was getting jogged by the saber. Unless I'm remembering it wrong this is also the scene where they show a child version of her getting left on the desert planet - a memory. Luke didn't have any repressed memories.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's a mix of Rey's own memories and Luke's, apparently, since there's a shot of Rey in a Cloud City corridor.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless she had some adventures in Cloud City when she was four years old, and the memories were repressed.

:techman:

Kor

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^I think it's safe to say that it wasn't Rey having a vision of herself in Cloud City, so much as a vision of Cloud City (and everything else in quick succession) was materialising around her. She literally stumbled through the whole thing from the corridor, to Luke & R2, the massacre, her abandonment on Jakku (I may have these in slightly the wrong order) followed by the forest on Starkiller Base. All the while getting snippets of Yoda & Obi Wan's voices. The latter may have been a echo of the past, but the latter seemed to definitely directed at her in the here and now.

A bit of an aside, but it actually just now occurred to me that there is a precedent for a sabre "calling out" to a force sensitive. Granted it's recent canon and may have been done with some foreknowledge of TFA and he just feels the call and doesn't get an intense vision like Rey. Nevertheless, it's not as isolated an incident as one might think.

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I think the link through "The Force" was more with the holocron, since those are only accessible to Force-sensitive people. The saber just happened to be there with the holocron.

Kor

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Psychometry
    That's what I thought too, but looking at the scene he almost dismisses the holocron, while the sabre holds his attention even before he turns it on and realises what it is. Indeed, he flat out says "this thing wanted me to find it".
    Then at the end of the episode when he walks away with the sabre (leaving the opened holocron behind, I might add) he has a vision of Kanan.
    Now it's ambiguous as to whether that vision was actually Kanan directly communicating with him through the force, or if it was an actual force vision.

Taken at face value, the former would seem obvious alternative, but consider that we've never seen even (living) Jedi communicate that vividly and directly with one another, even over short distances. It's only ever been disembodied voices, projecting emotions and impressions. Luke to Leia, then Vader to Luke at Bespin and Yoda to Kanan & Ezra in the Lothal temple are probably the best examples.
    Of note: the whole time in that scene, Ezra is holding the sabre in his hands.

I'm not saying it's definitive proof by any stretch, but it seems a reasonably strong possibility.

[ETA] It also occurs to me that perhaps Rey (and maybe Ezra to an extent) is just naturally gifted in psychometry, much like Quinlan Vos.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016