Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lorthos, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Katie_nyc_

Katie_nyc_ Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Because they shoe horned in a relationship out of nowhere in the last few episodes. And Seven is a hottie.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But she loved Axum, who Seven had been in a committed relationship with for years.

It's a Jerk move to not even tell him that he's been dumped.

3. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

How would they tell him?

4. Guy Gardener

Seven of Nine knew they were approaching that transwarp hub.

Maybe that was the plan?

Why she failed to mention the looming secret hive of Borg masstransit, that meant almost certain death to the entire crew.

Seven endangered the Voyager's crew, because she couldn't shag Chakotay until after she'd delivered a Dear John letter to her common law husband.

If she had pointed out the Hub weeks or months earlier, Janeway would have plotted a huge detour to go around Borg Grand Central.

5. Sophie74656

She didn't know about the hub. She was surprised to see it in Endgame.

I think if Seven had mentioned the hub earlier they would have tried to use it

6. Guy Gardener

Seven had mentioned that there were 6 hubs in the galaxy to Janeway at some point in the past before Endgame.

Does Seven often say stuff that makes her seem like a dumbass?

"There are Six Hubs in the galaxy! Fuck'd if I where but? Duuuuh."

7. Sophie74656

I think the Chakotay/Seven relationship gets hated on so much because many people really wanted a Chakotay/Janeway relationship. In Endgame we see Chakotay and Seven after they JUST started dating. In the episodes before this one we saw Seven playing around with Holo Chakotay. So clearly she had an attraction to him. In another episode we saw Chakotay and Seven stranded on a planet together so it's possible some feeings began to develop. Personally I do think it would have felt more natural if we saw a friendship or flirtation first.

And in regards to Janeway, well she made it clear that she would not be in a relationship with anyone under her command. I do think that Chakotay did the healthy thing and persued a different relationship instead of chasing someon who kept saying no.

8. Guy Gardener

I used to take great delight in saying that Chakotay took her virginity in Natural Law until I heard that Rob and Jeri during that episode asked the director, are we gonna do it? Should me make it look like we done it? Give the fans something to go mental over?

The director replied "No, stop thinking, just read your damn lines."

What we should have see in stead of almost a naughty camping trip was a courtcase/legal-drama, were Chakotay legally prosecuted Seven for banging his likeness without permission, because it is rude and plain nasty.

The Borg are not afraid of anyone, and they do not think that they are doing anything wrong because %100 percent of the time they are welcomed and celebrated as liberators "eventually" so why on Io would they hide their hubs?

That is a complete change in their MO.

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It strikes me that there's an uncanny similarity betwixt Captain Kirk and Rayna .... and Chakotay and Seven. Both Rayna and Seven need their female drives activated, so badly. Rayna was designed and developed by none other than The Master Leonardo da Vinci, himself. Her only flaw? She isn't Human. She's a robot with knockers, sort of like a mannequin, I suppose, and a bad wig. Obviously, Seven's Borg qualities impose upon her female instincts. It is the Men of STAR TREK who bring the emotions of both of these women to persuasive life.

Kirk takes the most dangerous route with Rayna. He pours on the pressure and he keeps pouring it on. "Come with me!" "You love me!" "I offer you happiness." Come ON, Kirk ... be cool. What the hell's the matter with you? Anyway, all of this pressuring causes her innards to explode and she "dies" right there, in front of him.

Seven, on the other hand, knows that Chakotay has so much he can teach her ... and she's ready to learn. No pressuring required. Best of all, outside of her "implants," she's Human. So, within her, there are womanly emotions that go unused. And with his prior experience with Riley The Borg Lady, he knows just how to access and activate them. And this time? Nobody need die ... but it seems like they've gone to Heaven, that's for sure. Again, the parallels are there with Rayna and Seven. I'm surprised no fan's noticed that before ...

10. Guy Gardener

After Kirk "activated" her emotions, Flint could have made a few copies of her AI from that save point, and given Kirk one.

It was hardly an all or nothing situation.

(HA! This episode first aired on Valentines day 1969!!!)

11. 2takesfrakes

Oh, yeah! No shit ... what's it to Flint, with his vast wealth and resources, to hook up Kirk his own fembot? Instead, he's all like, "Who's Kirk, anyway? I don't owe him a shittin' thing." Can hardly argue with that. It's still hard to explain Kirk's behaviour in this episode, though. With all that punani he's accustomed to getting, he must've been turned into a sex addict, or some shit. "Rayna ... I always get the girl ...!!!"

12. Guy Gardener

Flint fed him? Kirk ate food prepared by Flint?

Chemically you can fake "love" in a human psychotropically for a few hours, nearly a week, so really, any human would have done to activate Rayna if Flint activated that visitor first with a drugged meal... Was the Enterprise specifically requested, or would any wayfarer have sufficed of any species from any rank and station in life... Like a Ferengi or Harry Mudd?

13. 2takesfrakes

That's interesting about the psychotrop ... the pscychotropol ... that thing that happens for a few hours, for a week. I don't know that Kirk actually sat down to a 4 course meal, though. It may have not been anything more than pumice and sangria. I do remember there being Saurian Brandy on offer, later.

14. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I rewatched "Endgame" for the 3rd times yesterday evening with friends* on Netflix (1st time for me on this point )and, while the romantic scenes between Chakotay and Seven were running, something shocked me : we get the impression that she chose Chakotay as she chose Chapman 2 or 3 seasons ago, in entering some criterias (the fact that Chakotay has a quasi-Borg composite is just a bonus! ;-) ) which were familiar to her, for a computer search of suitable male candidates on board. As a social obligation to fulfill (or prove something to herself). How romantic! <grin>

Some people I've read, have instead adopted the idea that she has chosen to pursue a romance with Chakotay less for a sentimental attachment (according to what one would like to believe) than for an assurance to be rely on someone who could guide & protect her for her first steps on Earth, as seeing as Janeway and the Doctor would be too busy with their roles to keep taking care of her,l. .. .

As I said once or 2, I cannot imagine Janeway and/or the Doctor, regardless how busy they would be once back on Earth, letting Seven make the leap into an unknown universe alone. They will want to accompany and help her find her marks, as a part of their "mission".
    Anyway, we know she will always be the Borg part in her through her implants, which cannot be removed, so, some special cares & regeneration sessions will continue to be supervised by the Doctor. as for Janeway became Admiral, she will tak the responsability to protect Seven from Starfleet, the Federation. Her Borgess still ‎causing fear and envy (for ‎experiments and for her extended knowledge).

I still think that Seven keeps taking her dating with Chakotay as an social experience and that once she will feel comfortable in her life (don't forget that Seven adapts quickly!), both they will separate by mutual agreement, happy to have spent a nice time, even a short one together. ... . All non-canon novels and a majority of fanfictions written since the end of Voyager, 16 years ago, have relied on this scenario & IF a sequel had to be made, even for YT (with Universal's consent, of course), there is very likely a chance that it may like that.

* while I know that some of them are very very romantic, I thought they will succomb to this romance. Well, I was wrong. All declared that Chakotay/Seven with comments like "it was wrong" , "a stupid idea", "how a so brillant woman as Seven can succomb to a insipid Chakotay", "why didn't she end with Janeway" (when I proposed the Doctor, they told me that it was impossible because the Doctor was a hologram and that he was too ugly!) ;-)

Odonna and Six of Twelve like this.
  15. Guy Gardener

After the war, 10's of thousands of Nazis tried to hide in plan sight as ordinary people in regular positions within society making their best attempt not to seem like they get off on ethnic cleansing.

Seven knew that if she didn't pass for human, that a torch wielding mob would run her down, or in the dead of night, she'll be pulled from her bed and prosecuted by a secret tribunal.

16. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

I agree that her relationship with Chakotay was more about experimenting with human mating rituals than from any real sentiment. It didn't help that the actors had absolutely no chemistry, either.

The only person Seven had actual feelings for were for Axum, whom I hope she found again at some point. Having been Borg, too, he was much better suited to her than Chakotay.

17. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh for sure! Chakotay looked like much more in love and almost passionate toward Janeway than with Seven, though you know all my position on J/C! :shrug:

:techman: But Seven/Axum was never made to live or end together, if not in another universe, the Unimatrix Zero,which only existed in their heads. Besides, nothing
    would prevent those two, to continue communicating remotely thereafter, via their alcovs... well, if their parallel universe continues to exist despite willingly elsewhere in another fom, right?! :)

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe he didn't choose to be with Seven instead of Janeway. Maybe Janeway chose not to be with him, and then things worked out so that he ended up with Seven instead.

Kor

19. Sophie74656

He didn't choose her over Janeway. Janeway turned him down and he moved on.

20. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Granted it's been many years and my memory isn't super sharp where this is concerned, but I seem to recall that the Chakotay/Seven thing only happened at the end of the series, came pretty much out of nowhere, made very little sense, didn't last long, and couldn't have been a more worse pairing of two individuals who had absolutely nothing in common and never even hinted at there being an interest before.