Why Admiral Paris was Played by Two Actors

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by mysticgeek, Mar 2, 2016.

1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Us?

Tom and his father's botched clone maybe?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    Terok Nor likes this.
  2. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

I know they go back and forth about whether or not the book Pathways is canon or not but it was written by Jeri Taylor who helped create the character. His backstory included a dad, mom and two sisters.

Then again it had different details about his life changing accident...so make of it what you will.

3. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

Leviathan and Kirby like this.
  4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Clever comeback. And humor is in the eye of the beholder, of course.

5. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Families are complicated. I’ve encountered lots of people who are generally quite lovely but can be absolutely rotten towards their family members.

Lynx likes this.
  6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have heard the writers talk about this once. I think the reasoning is they simply wanted Admiral Paris to be more friendly and affable than they got from Munson's version. Especially I am guessing since he never really even shares one scene with Tom. He is mostly acting off of Barclay.

Jason

7. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I guess that it must depend on people. I mean some of them, more they are ranked, request to be called by their rank (or "Sir", no matter the gender), ‎whether in the office or in private, ‎which results for lower rank officers to be authorized to speak only by invitation. And if they want to share personal feelings about some particular topics, they have to ask to do it by a "May I speak freely, Admiral/Captain/Commander/Lieutenant or Sir.

About Cpt Kathryn Janeway, she wanted to be called "Captain" and "Madam" in crunch time
    -> remember what Janeway said to Harry Kim, the first day of his presence on board :

"Ensign, despite Starfleet protocol, I don't like being addressed as sir.
    KIM: I'm sorry, ma'am.
    JANEWAY: Ma'am is acceptable in a crunch, but I prefer Captain."

then

JANEWAY: Ensign Kim, this is your station. Would you like to take over?
    KIM: Yes, ma'am.
    (Rear of the bridge, on the right as we view it.)
    JANEWAY: It's not crunch time yet, Mister Kim. I'll let you know when.

In Equinox - part 1

"
    JANEWAY: I couldn't help but notice your crew calls you by your first name.
    RANSOM: When you've been in the trenches as long as we have, rank and protocol are luxuries. Besides, we're a long way from Starfleet Command.
    JANEWAY: I know the feeling.
    "
    ... and despite sharing the same feeling and situation than Ransom, Janeway kept asking to her crew to be called "Captain"! <grin>

About Tom, it is clear that he was very familiar with the protocol, even if it was clear how he took pleasure to bypass whenever rules he could. As for his relationships with his father, Admiral Paris, I noted that no matter the nature of their quarrels, he was still very attached to him, even though he tries to keep a distance. ‎It was just in appearance and B'Elena has fully understood this, in Hunters".
    His "Dad" in Endgame, reflected all the emotion he felt at seeing his father after at least 7 years.

Extracts of T/V's dialogue in Hunters's
    "
    TORRES: It's a letter for you. It's coming through right now.
    PARIS: For me?
    TORRES: It's right here.
    PARIS: Who's it from?
    TORRES: I can't tell yet.
    PARIS: Maybe it's from the rehab colony, telling me I've violated probation.
    TORRES: Why are you acting like this?
    PARIS: I just want to know who the letter's from, okay?
    TORRES: You should know in a minute.
    TORRES: You may be able to fool someone else with that ploy, but you're talking to me, Tom.
    PARIS: Just download the letter, okay?
    TORRES: A little more has come in. It's from Starfleet. From an Admiral Owen. Do you know him?
    PARIS: Admiral Owen Paris. It's my father.
    TORRES: That's wonderful.
    PARIS: Yeah. Maybe. I don't know exactly why, but the more everybody gets excited about these letters from home, the more I don't want any part of it. Maybe because what I have on Voyager is so much better than anything I ever had back there. I just don't want the reminder.
    TORRES: You're not the same person you were four years ago. What makes you think he is?
    PARIS: No, you don't know him.
    TORRES: At least give him a chance. He's obviously reaching out.
    PARIS: When he forms an opinion about something, nothing can change his mind.
    TORRES: No, I'm sorry. It obviously does. You care what he thinks about you.
    PARIS: Yeah. Yeah, I guess I still do.
    TORRES: I'll let you know when I get the whole letter.
    "

then later

"
    TORRES: I'm sorry, Tom. I wasn't able to download yours in time.
    PARIS: Just when I was getting eager to read it.
    TORRES: You could assume that he said he loves you, and that he's proud of you.
    PARIS: I think I will.
    "

8. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Sounds like my mother.:lol:

9. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Or the BORG queen, who was played by Alice Krige in the movie and the Voyager finale, and by Susanna Thompson in the Queen's 4 other appearances on Voyager.

10. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can so relate.

11. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Siblings?

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

As long as we're responding to dead threads... :shrug:

It's interesting that the senior officer is always okay with the junior officer speaking freely in the Trek universe. Some time I want to see a junior officer ask, "Permission to speak freely?" followed by the senior officer saying, "Permission denied!"

Kor

13. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

the closest to that with Janeway was her cutting of her officer mid sentence with "objection noted". ha! But yeah just once, right?

14. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Sorry but I didn't understand. Translation, please? :whistle:

On this point, you're right and besides, it would have been quite enjoyable to hear Janeway refused permission to speak to her senior crew! :p

Kor[/QUOTE]

15. JanewayRulz!

[/QUOTE]

Translation... resurrecting a thread no-one's posted in for nearly 27 months.

16. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Translation... resurrecting a thread no-one's posted in for nearly 27 months.[/QUOTE]

First, a little correction JanewayRulz!, I'm not the one who resurrected the thread but whatever in fact.
    Second, I didn't know that threads had a expiration date. What about the richness of the debate, which seems to me unlimited in time and space for everyone to express themselves in an orderly, smooth way? ;-)

17. JanewayRulz!

Hmm.

I was just answering your question, not suggesting "you" resurrected a dead thread.

In the past, when someone responds to an old thread, they often noted in their new post that they are "bumping up" an old thread to respond to the original question. For example, I have been faked out by an old thread, realizing just in time that the post I was about to write, I already wrote 2 or 3 years ago.

Nothing wrong with the richness of debate, but a little warning helps long time posters from simply repeating themselves, ad nauseum.

18. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I can't remember off the top of my head but i feel like this has happened
    Doing a little digging..there is a list on memory alpha of all the times someone said permission to speak freely. It seems that it was always granted......or they didn't wait to get an answer.

19. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

You're right repetitions can be annoying but sometimes, in reading very old posts, some are really really interesting and the ideas are not necessary retaken afterwards. That's why, I always read EVERY pages of a thread posted, no matter the dates. Yes, it is a long reading but never boring (different points of view or same ones but expressed differently, without forgetting the evolution between the first viewing and after the 3rd or 4th viewing or between the time the show was aired on UPN and the viewing in DVD, several years after! For my part, I sometimes surprised to contradict myself in my appreciation and comment, in finding quite good or more interesting than I have thought some episodes which, 2 years ago, I have called pretty bad!).

20. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I always assumed that the Alice Krige body was destroyed during the events of Star Trek: First Contact and that they downloaded her consciousness into the Susanna Thompson body. (Similar to how Captain Picard remembered the Borg Queen being around during his own assimilation despite that Borg ship being destroyed.) It was a perfectly workable theory until they brought back the Alice Krige body in "Endgame" (and in the Borg Invasion 4D movie they used to have at the Las Vegas Hilton).

I wasn't specifically looking to resurrect a dead thread. I was just doing a Google search for Admiral Paris and this thread happened to pop up in the first dozen or so results.

Actually, the reason why I was searching for him in the first place was because I'd gotten confused about the actor who played him. I'd mistaken Richard Herd for Karl Malden (best known for his work in On the Waterfront, Patton, A Streetcar Named Desire, and Streets of San Francisco).

When Herd first appeared in the role in "Pathfinder," I immediately noticed that it was a different guy from "Persistence of Vision." I figured they just wanted a more high profile actor since the character had a larger role this time around. And a little cast change like this is fairly minor as far as Voyager continuity is concerned. After 4 seasons, I doubt even many of the writers recalled "Persistence of Vision" at all. (They certainly seemed to forget about B'Elanna's crush on Chakotay in a hurry.)

Somehow, I can hear Chakotay saying this in my head but I can't cite an actual example.