Who was the original chief science officer on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by thestonedkoala, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, none explicitly had "Chief" in their titles, unlike Janeway on one of her past assignments. Still, one would assume that at least Spock had several other officers working under him in the Sciences Department.

Jadzia Dax probably didn't have any assistants originally, though. And whether NX-01 had any science crew worth mentioning (besides Sato)... Well, they launched on a supposed milk run in "Broken Bow" and never returned to replenish for the first two years. So possibly no scientists there. On the other hand, they stocked up with troops for Season 3, yet the total complement of the ship didn't seem to change. So did they offload some scientists? (They may also have offloaded engineers who were supposed to supervise the new warp drive on the maiden voyage, yet basically twiddled their thumbs for the next two years.)

And technically, Sulu seemed to be the "Chief Science Officer" of the ship in "Where No Man Has Gone Before", appearing as part of the gathering of department heads.

As for the sources of this, I think there was something in the TNG Companion at least.

Timo Saloniemi

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I think I saw this in early "Starlog" columns on the development of TNG by David Gerrold, and also heard it at convention presentations by Richard Arnold.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Wasn't Crewman Cutler in the Science Department before she was drafted to aid Phlox in Sickbay?

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

Medicine is still a science.

:thumbsup:

5. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People,

I'm quite certain Picard did refer to Data as "my science officer" in at least one ep, something along the lines of "I expect a more detailed answer from my science officer," but I just can't remember the ep.

I think ST got away from using the term "science officer" to avoid comparisons to Spock. Although that certainly wasn't the case with T'Pol. And I think that's rather silly; since Starfleet is supposed to be chartered with exploration, you'd need a chief science officer on board exploratory vessels!

As for the original question, I think Harry Kim served as a de facto science officer, much like Data did in TNG. I prefer to think that VOY's official science officer didn't make it on board before "Caretaker."

Red Ranger

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good point.

Considering Voyagers first assignment didn't require one, this may be true.

7. thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala Vice Admiral Admiral

This one kind of boggles the mind, though. A science officer would have been kind of handy to have in the Badlands.

8. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

There really didn't appear to be a science officer onboard originally, even with Janeway's background in science. Sure, Torres, Kim, and EMH did perform "science," but there was no one with that official position.

However, once Seven of Nine came onboard, she performed a lot of duties that a science officer does. So, I'll have to say that Seven was the closest to what we had as "science officer" eventhough that was not her official position on board USS Voyager.

9. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Only if they were goin' there to study the plasma storms.

They weren't.

They were goin' there to spank a Maquis crew and rescue the captain's pointy-eared buddy, if he needed to be rescued.

10. Huntingdon

Huntingdon Fleet Admiral Admiral

But a science officer would be handy to analyse the storm patterns and track exhausts as well as monitor storm activity. The other departments could do all of that to some extent, but having another expert around wouldn't hurt in a dangerous area of space.

11. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I always thought that Sam Wildman was Voyagers chief science officer. Could well be mistaken. In fact, i most likely am.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

She was the head of the xenobiology department. That's just one science. Not all of them.

And I doubt an Ensign would be the head science officer for the entire ship.

13. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Harry was.

14. DrTaylor

DrTaylor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Data was science officer.

15. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be a waste of time and resources if that wasn't their assignment. Janeway believed Tuvok's life was in danger, she had to hurry.

16. J47

J47 Commander Red Shirt

It was nice of you to read the whole thread before posting your thoughts.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Spock seemed to have a different opinion in McCoy's case. ;)

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, in "Relativity", Janeway specifically expresses the wish to remain in the Badlands for more than the three weeks allocated. This makes no sense in terms of the Tuvok/Maquis mission - it only makes sense in terms of Janeway wishing to explore the Badlands after Tuvok is recovered, hopefully well before the three weeks are up.

So I'd think Janeway would have her Badlands-studying team of scientists aboard and on standby for exploratory action, to be initiated as soon as Tuvok was back onboard.

Then again, it's Kim and (Tactical Officer?) Lt. Rollins who in "Caretaker" end up analyzing the star charts and plasma flows in order to trace down the Maquis. That, surely, would be a job for the science department of the ship if she had any. But perhaps Janeway has a different view of Science Officers than Kirk did - perhaps she trusts his Tactical Officer and Ops Officer with tactical analysis, without requiring the personal presence of a blueshirt academician.

Before the "Caretaker" casualties, probably not. After them, probably yes. There's little indication that Kim would have been a department head until the ship's senior officers conveniently up and died. When coming aboard, he was just a run-on-the-mill Ops officer, one of several, never referred to as "the" or "chief" or anything.

Timo Saloniemi

19. thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala Vice Admiral Admiral

Not really. If you're flying in, you don't want to be flying in blind.

20. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I dunno, wasnt Harry the chief of operations? He too was an ensign.