Where did Spock go?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, May 16, 2010.

1. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't understand why this matters so much? The producers, the writers and the actor all wanted it to the TOS Spock - why does it scare people so much that this is the case?

2. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

I think Delta Vega being in the Vulcan system is PLENTY enough to establish that this is a totally different universe.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again, says who?

I think it's mental that every time a writer makes an error there's someone out there going "Well this particular scene must be taking place in an alternate universe!".

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If that's what they wanted then they should have adhered to what had already been established. They didn't and so whatever they wanted or intended doesn't matter in the least.

5. Shazam!

Or some planet renaming took place.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You must have read my mind T'Girl, because when I read Dukhat's post mentioning Romulan baldness as "proof" of an alternate universe I was sorely tempted to reply "You think that's bad? I read someone using stardates as an excuse to put STXI in another universe" :lol:

I don't need JJ and friends to tell me it's TOS Spock. It simply is. As stated earlier, the arguments against it being TOS Spock could be used to split TOS into several universes, let alone the rest of the Trek franchise.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

But why do you care? Why does it scare/upset you so much?

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

And so wouldn't it have been renamed with a Vulcan name if it's in the Vulcan system? Clearly Abrams tossed in all sorts of trek derived references with little thought about any logical consistency. He just wanted a slam-bam action movie with some familiar names. Fair enough for a reboot, but that still doesn't make it consistent with what had already been established. And as a reboot why is it even necessary to try connecting to TOS? Because he wanted some connection of legitimacy. But he fucked it up.

That doesn't take anything away from those who enjoy the film, but it is in contradiction whatever he may or may not of "intended."

9. F. King Daniel

Pick up an atlas. Do you have any idea how many duplicate town names there are in the world?

Why would the galaxy be any different?

(Yeah, I'm aware it was a "cute reference" to TOS that's largely unappreciated, but it's also one of the easiest "issues" fixed/explained/glossed over/ignored)

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  10. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It's a discussion for crissakes. What the hell are we all participating on a message board for? :rolleyes:

11. Shazam!

If it was renamed by Vulcans.
    This is correct, they did fuck it up, so let's not let them off the hook for it by sweeping the whole thing under the proverbial rug.

12. StarryEyed

StarryEyed Commodore Commodore

Planets in the Vulcan system would be named by Vulcans. And they are NOT going to name it Delta Vega.

13. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well here's something to consider: if one insists on believing that this is the original universe altered then you have to accept that everything previously in Trek has been wiped clean and is irrelevant. Just like nuVulcan it's all been destroyed.

I see it more logically as, a) the prime original Star Trek and, b) the reimagined bizarro version of Trek.

14. F. King Daniel

The Vulcan name could be unpronouncable to humans, like Spock's first name.

15. Shazam!

Unfortunately, it pretty much is irrelevant.

However, no you don't, you can just accept that in this particular instance time travel works differently as a result of magic, sorry, red matter.

There are always... possibilities.

Besides, isn't the argument for it being the original universe altered a different one from Spock being TOS Spock or not?

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think we end up with both. There's enough evidence to show this isn't the TOS universe altered, and there's enough evidence to show that old nuSpock isn't TOS Spock.

17. F. King Daniel

No, you've decided there's "enough evidence". There's similar evidence that TOS isn't all the same universe. It doesn't make it so.

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You believe what you want and I believe what I want. That's essentially the point. For you it works. For me not by a long shot.

The real reason many deliberately ignore the film's failings is because they desperately want the stamp of legitimacy. I'm not willing to concede it no matter what may or my not have been intended. I'll go by what they put on the screen because that's what matters.

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Warped9, if if it makes it easier for you to sleep at night thinking that Spock Prime is from some other universe that the original TOS one, fine. Sweet dreams, I say. But when it comes to your fanon opinion versus the actual film producers' facts, then there's really no argument.

I can only speak for myself, but I ignored the miniscule things that the film got wrong in terms of TOS chronology simply because I care nothing about those things. All I cared about was seeing an entertaining movie. And I'd bet that I'm just as much of a ST fan as you are, not some Joe Sixpack who went to se the movie for all the pretty explosions.

20. Shazam!

It seems that you're ignoring the film's failings by trying to sweep it under the proverbial rug of an alternate universe. I'm quite happy to accept that it's a shoddy addition to the existing Trek franchise, much like any other episode or movie I dislike.