Where did Spock go?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, May 16, 2010.

1. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now this argument--earlier mooted by I Grok Spock--does hold water. Still, it's a preemptive killing based on the off chance that Nero will survive and a somewhat cold-blooded act.

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the Narada was coming down around Nero's ears, I think it's safe to say that he wasn't going to survive another trip through the rabbit hole.

3. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Let's just admit the scene was what it was....

A deliberate and knowing attempt to thumb their nose at what Abrams likely thought were the boring 'moralistic crap' he didn't like about TOS. I admit to pure speculation here based on Abrams stated dislike of TOS. It was an attempt to say, 'Hey, no boring morals and deeper meaning here! Dude pissed us off, dude gotta die!'

To put it in Trek perspective: THIS Kirk would have moved right to kicking Kruge into the lava pit. There would have been no attempt to save him first.

4. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree--but there was arguably a chance, so the argument is at least not patently wrong.

Kirk1980 pretty much nails it but he doesn't go far enough. The audience wants to see Nero die--we wanted to see Kruge die, too. We'd have been sorely disappointed if Nero, after killing billions, including one parent of each of our heroes, said "Yeah, okay, beam me over" and we would have been disappointed had Kruge grabbed Kirk's hand, let him dust him off and said, "Yeah, I see your point, Genesis is pretty much a bust--what's up with the Vulcan?" after killing Kirk's son. TSFS just gave us a better fig leaf under which to hide our lust for cathartic vengeance. Trek '09 could have given us the same fig leaf (see my tractor beam comment--thanks T'Girl) but didn't. A Trek '09 apologist skilled in sophistic eloquence (oh, hello there, Dennis) could say that Trek '09 was simply more honest and upfront about giving us what we want.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  5. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

In other words, ST09 has all the trappings of Star Trek, but none of the actual sensibilities.

6. Joker

Joker Vice Admiral Admiral

Strudel's own words were fine.