Where are we right now??

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain_Nick, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Okay this is just stubbornness on your part. How can you say this when so many Trek fans, "fans of the franchise" have told you they DO like it?

This is what is so objectionable about your posts. You make sweeping assumptions about other fans. I don't care that YOU don't like it but you seem to believe that this is not subjective, rather you are CORRECT and others are either incorrect, in denial or not the proper kind of fan.

I like the direction. Where do I fit into your "no trek fan" comment?

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    You're not a true fan, of course. Silly teacake.;)

3. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It not about being a true fan or not, just about being honest with oneself :bolian:

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I honestly like the movie and the whole franchise.

5. cooleddie74

But...we are being honest with ourselves. I sure as heck know I am. I love the entire franchise...even VOYAGER. ;)

What's your evidence to the contrary? That we all disagree with you? That we don't see things the exact same way you do? I'm sorry you view it through that lens.

6. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I know I'm really late to join this party, but I have to throw my vote in support of Teacakes post.

I have been a huge fan of the Franchise since I was in elementary school. I loved the stories and the universe that was created.

I also love Star Trek 2009. It brought new life to a dead franchise. It got a lot of people excited and talking about a show that had disappeared. The new timeline in this existing universe allows characters that I love to have new adventures.

But somehow I'm either wrong, kidding myself, or am not the "right" kind of fan? Fascinating.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Obviously not, since they take place BEFORE the Original Series.

8. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. I, too, enjoy ALL of Trek.... some incarnations more than others, of course, but I like it all. I would say that it is amusing to have some individuals around here telling me what I REALLY think, if it were not so annoying and borderline insulting. :rolleyes:

Is there some sort of space brain sickness going around?

9. teacake

So you are actually saying to me that when I say I like the direction NuTrek is going in I am not being honest with myself?

10. nightwind1

So, you're Simon VanGelder or Tristan Adams now, psychoanalyzing us?

11. cooleddie74

I didn't realize I've been lying to myself for most of my life. I guess I'm not a serious fan after all.

I feel soooooo jaded right now. :sigh:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. nightwind1

I'm 50 years old. I've watched and loved Trek since 1966. In the seventies, I was a member of STAR (the Star Trek Association for Revival), the very FIRST Star Trek fan club. I've been to each of the Trek movies on opening day, watched TAS, TNG, DS9, Voy, and ENT since day one of each series. I own ALL of the Gold Key, DC and Marvel comics of Star Trek. I own about 3/4 of all published novels and dozens of fanzines. I draw my own Trek artwork. I've had two fanfic published in popular 'zines, one of which one the FanQ award for best Trek-fic of the year. I GM Star Trek tabletop RPG's.

I think all of that makes me a fan of the franchise.

And you know what: I thoroughly enjoy and like ST '09. I also love the fan series "Star Trek:Phase II", which I'm sure you don't like because it has other actors playing Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al.

So, I think you just need to chill. It's fine that you don't like it, but you're deluding YOURSELF telling other people what they "really" feel.

13. nightwind1

This is getting ridiculous. Reported for Trolling.

14. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I second this, can I get a third and a vote to pass the motion?

15. teacake

I think it's ridiculous that people feel they must cough up their fandom pedigree (and I've done it in this thread myself) to try and get enough cred with YWF so we can have our own opinion without being labeled "spineless" or "in denial" or "not being honest with themselves". Clearly no cred is going to pass but it hardly matters. YWF is not a believer in IDIC when it comes to people's taste.

16. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It's Trek without Gene Rodenberry is all. He's been deleted as substituted with J.J. It's back to just being a generic space opera again. It might as well be brand new and called 'Forbidden Planet' as though Gene never existed. Or as Picard might have said at Kirk's funeral - 'Im glad you're gone so that we can get on with making Star trek movies without being in your shadow.' Sure it's a monumantal task, which is why you get the right talented enough sci-fi people to do it. J.J. is not a sci-fi guy. None of them are. All of a sudden they think they are now though.. with Fringe. LOL.

17. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am now depressed and fearful, myself. I am left to wonder....

....what ELSE have I been lying to myself about all these years?

18. xortex

That's actually a good question when you consider media has been lying to us like forever. I always laugh when I watch tv or listen to the radio. They're all actors pretending that they're not to sell you things by tricking you into believing scams for the most part. We're quick to be offended by gnats yet swallow camels whole.

19. cooleddie74

At last...something both sides can AGREE on! :beer:*

*The general idea or concept, not that TREK 2009 is a trick or a scam

20. xortex

No, just stuck in the J.J.verse like forever with no future and no past that I like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.