WHen will you watch Discovery? Will you get All Access?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Morpheus 02, Dec 21, 2016.

1. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was talking about this thread at work and one of my millennial co-workers was like "What are you talking about, it's all free on Kodi."

I cut the cord in August, I have a Moho leaf indoor antenna that's flat against the wall, hooked into a Tablo over the air 4 tuner DVR with Sling TV. So I pay about $50 for the internet from Time Warner and the cost of Sling subscription.

2. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

How much is a digital set top box in the US? It's about $30 in the Uk, although any TV under 10 years old will have it built in.

Antenna TV is the norm in the U.K., since digital switch off which bEgan about 8 years ago and ended 5 years ago, it's just how you get it. A minority of houses have satellite, and even fewer cable.

Personally I haven't even had antenna since July - no need. IPlayer allows you to watch almost live (60 seconds or so), although it's exceedingly rare that I do that. My kids know the "channels" as Netflix, amazon and very occasionally YouTube or DVD. They have little concept of BBC and none of ITV, C4 or Five. Why should they, they want to watch Pippa, or Bing, or Paw Patrol, or Andy[s wild adventures].

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Netflix is using Star Trek for the same thing CBS is, to try and establish a service that people want.

4. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I'm gonna resub to Netflix and watch as soon as it comes out

5. saddestmoon

saddestmoon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks!! :)

6. Starhawk

Starhawk Lieutenant Red Shirt

Will not watch it on All Access or anywhere else as I am protesting CBS's fan production guidelines. Having Michelle Yeoh involved is a plus for me, but not enough of one to cross the line I have drawn for myself.

7. BillJ

You're protesting the wrong thing. You want those guidelines loosened, siding against CBS is probably the wrong way to go.

8. DS9ers

DS9ers Lieutenant Red Shirt

I will start subscribing the week after Star Trek premieres on CBS. I will stay subscribed until the show is done airing and I will cancel after that. I also plan on buying a blu-ray release. (whenever that happens)

I already subscribe to Netflix and Amazon Prime. I spend more than eating 6.00 in one meal at Taco Bell. So paying that for a monthly subscription seems like a fine deal!

fireproof78 and Paul Weaver like this.
  9. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

This sort of equation is never convincing. My thought is that you're wasting $6 on Taco Bell, and doubling the waste is not a good rationale for doing either one.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

You pretty much miss the point of disposable income, there.

BillJ likes this.
  11. BillJ

Since it isn't your money, what you think about it really doesn't matter.

Sakonna likes this.
  12. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I'll watch the first ep on CBS. The rest I'll watch a few hours after they debut via the modern library. If the first season is really good, I'll subscribe for season 2. If not, whatev.

13. marsh8472

marsh8472 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Torrent aka pretend stealing of data aka pretend property copyrighted to give the creators more money from the ones doing the pretending

14. Serveaux

Nailed it.

15. JWPlatt

My thought is that I'd be wasting $6 on Taco Bell, and doubling the waste is not a good rationale for my doing either one.

16. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much this. I can reallocate $6 to at least check it out. Heck, if I start saving the quarters now, I might not have to dip too far in to my discretionary funding.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  17. Serveaux

Your use of the first person pronoun rather than the second this time renders this assertion unobjectionable.

18. JWPlatt

Thanks. I aim to please.