When Will White People Stop Making Movies Like "Avatar"?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

The thread title says it. When will "white people" stop making movies like Avatar ?

2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

You're right. I apologize. He hasn't oppressed anyone. What I meant to say, and I said it poorly, is that he has probably benefitted from someone else's oppression by virtue of being a white male.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

There doesn't have to be an overt conspiracy for it to happen. Now, it's an interesting philosophical question as to whether or not someone should be considered morally culpable for being the beneficiary of white privilege, and I'd probably argue against that idea, but I feel very strongly that such privilege does exist, and that it is a problem of our society.

I'd recommend the works of Tim Wise if you're at all interested in the subject (and, since you're reading this and posting about it, you are).

4. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, because the white people like James Cameron are intentionally putting the black man down, that's exactly what the implication of the thread title is.

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

And so, we come to the root of this thread - somebody watched this film and got it in to their head that James Cameron is racist.

I'll file that one with the woman that thinks Joss Whedon rapes his wife based on a few episodes of Firefly.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, we come to the root of how incoherent your viewpoint is. I was presenting something you'd have to accept as truthful for your past two statements above to make any kind of sense at all.

Look, being offended is one thing, but failing to understand the argument is sort of inexcusable. You understand white guilt, yes? That some white people might feel responsible for their privilege and the history of oppression and elimination and so on? And that then maybe they might make fantasies about how those people are saved, but they're still saved by white guys?

Because that's what the article is about. That's not really the same thing as saying James Cameron hates black people, now is it?

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

There's nothing incoherent about it at all. It was a very simple point - that there is no such thing as "white people" in the context in which the term is being used.

Let's face it, this thread has gone beyond a simple discussion of Avatar and movies like it.

8. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Seems as if we're treading over the same ground again, all too often away from the film itself and the associated subject matter, it's time to close this thread. There are other "Avatar" threads, so take advantage of them.

Thread closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.