When did you stop growing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I had to go to the dentist today and while he was filling my cavity the dentist was talking to his dental assistant.

The assistant said that in the book she was reading it said that people's bones didn't stop growing to they were 26. The dentist queried this and she said it was referring to people's long bones. The assistant insisted that she stopped growing when she was 13.

She I am asking people - when do you think you stopped growing?

Myself, I am the same height now that I was at 18 as far as I remember.

2. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

I stopped growing in 8th grade (13)...until I was a college freshman (18), when I grew an inch, and that was it.

My brother-in-law grew until he was about 23. He's 6'7", and we wondered if he'd ever stop growing!

3. Searider Falcon

Searider Falcon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember being measured at 5'3 when I was in fifth grade. I don't remember when exactly I found out I was 5'4, but it was sometime in middle school, and I never did get any taller than that.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Guest

I was 5'11" when I turned 14. I went to see the doctor recently and for whatever reason they decided to weigh and measure me. 6'0" and 175 pounds. So it seems like I've been the same size since the beginning of high school.

But it took a while for my body to catch up to my height. From 11 to 13, I grew over a foot. When I started high school I only weighed 130 pounds even though I was almost six feet. I stayed underweight until I was 20.

5. Bears Discover Fire

Bears Discover Fire Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still growing. I have a mild form of Marfan's syndrome, which makes my extremities continue to grow until around age 30. My fingers and toes toes are elongating, my arms are getting lankier and my lower mandible is still growing and wreaking havoc on my teeth!

When I was a child, my pediatricians predicted I would be 4'11" in my adult height. I was an extremely petite child and there aren't many people in my family taller than 5'5". I had not been diagnosed with Marfan's yet. Instead, I hit 5'9" when I was 23; I'm now 26 and have grown another 1/4" in height in those three years. So I'm not growing that fast, but I am still growing.

I have about 4 more years before I'll finally stop growing. I look forward to the day I can buy nice shirts and not find the sleeves too short a year later.

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

I've been 5'9" since I was 17 or so.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm growing right now!

:evil:

8. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I stopped growing when I was around 13.

9. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I stop growing at around 21 or 22 or so.

10. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I reached my adult height at 17, but my feet grew another shoe size before I turned 20! :lol: My hands grew a bit bigger, too. My high school ring didn't fit after age 20- I hadn't put on weight, my bones just got a bit bigger.

11. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

I hit my current height when I was 15 or so. but different parts of me stopped growing at different times. For instance, my penis is the same size as it was when I was two.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

22-ish. Men typically go through a final growth spurt around there. I was very thin then and I finally filled out.

And then kept filling out because I'd also stopped playing football, and am now overweight.

13. Zachary Smith

Zachary Smith Vice Admiral Admiral

Epiphyseal plates fuse and the long bones and vertebral bodies stop growing generally between about 18-22 YOA. No one "stops growing" at 26. The assistant's book is wrong.

14. Peacemaker

Peacemaker Vice Admiral Admiral

Men also don't get their "man body" until their 30's...so, while growth in height won't change, your muscularity and muscle density can change. I was told about this in my early 30's and sho' nuf, it's true. Now, as I approach 40, my ability to gain muscle at the gym is remarkably greater than it was a decade ago.

15. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

That might be why the dentist queried it. He actually mentioned the plates and asked if the book meant everyone or just some people stop growing at 26.

I could ask what the book was, or any other question, because the dentist was busy drilling.

They also talked about when bones first started to developed in the fetus and later on they moved onto genetic diseases. It was a lot more interesting than my previous dentist who spoke to his assistant only in Chinese.

16. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I stopped growing when I was about 15.
    I have been the same height since then.

My brother stopped growing much later though, at about 21, if I recall correctly.

17. Cayla

Cayla Admiral Admiral

Mine grew another shoe size when I was 21.

I've been the same height since 7th grade.

18. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been the same height since age 16 or so . . . after that I started to grow sideways . . .

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think I've been the same height since 16 or 17 (can't remember exactly, since it's hard to know when you stopped growing, just when you've noticed that you haven't gotten taller in awhile).

20. Elmo Dukat

Elmo Dukat Guest

Wow, Bears, I've never heard of Marfan's Syndrome! That's really fascinating. Do you still get growing pains? I remember when I stopped growing, I was so glad because finally my elbows and knees could stop hurting!

I stopped growing when I was reached 5' 11 3/4" when I was 17. My brother stopped growing when he reached 6' 9" at 23. After I turned 17, my body was still maturing (hips widening, weight fluctuations, vision prescription fluctuations, general body shape changes), and that settled down when I was about 23.

I think that's fairly typical for men and women --- women stop growing in high school, men in college.