What's in YOUR 'head canon'?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jedi Marso, Jul 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

For TOS: Whatever is depicted or stated the majority of the time AND/OR fits in with the original movies is what's correct. "James R Kirk" is incorrect. "United Earth Space Probe Agency" is incorrect. References to TOS taking place in anything besides 23rd Century are incorrect.

For TNG: In a continuity debate between Season 1 and the rest of the series, the rest of the series is correct.

For the TNG Movies: In a continuity debate between Film Trek and TV Trek, TV Trek is correct.

Anything related to Trills, Bajorans, or Cardassians: DS9 is correct.

For Voyager: "Threshold" is non-canon. Everything else is canon but I look at continuity issues on a case-by-case basis to decide which version is correct. The depiction of the late-third season in the fifth season's "Latent Image" is incorrect. As good as the episode is.

For Enterprise: The Prime Timeline and the Kelvin Timeline are both possible futures. 2233 is the fork in the road.

For the Kelvin Timeline: It shares ENT with the Prime Timeline. Ambassador Spock is from the Prime Timeline. Anything that happened differently from 2233 on is the result of Nero and the Butterfly Effect.

2. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At least all the TV series episodes (aside from maybe some events from Enterprise season 4), the first ten films, Mosaic, most of Peter David's books, Vulcan's Glory, the Yesterday's Son duology and most of the DC comics.

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan or Vulcanian? (Vulcanian was used A LOT.)

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan refers to Vulcans. Vulcanian refers to anyone born there, whether of Vulcan species heritage or not. (Like Canadian does.)

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That much is established in the TNG Technical Manual, which was written by people working on the show at the time (though it was treadmill force fields rather than physical ones, IIRC).

There's an entry--Anything in an official publication that was put out by people working on the show is canon unless it was directly contradicted onscreen. If @Rick Sternbach says that's how something worked, it's good enough for me.

We have word variants IRL...no reason that both can't be canon.

6. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

So TOS *DID* have a holographic rec room, then, and STC isn't breaking canon at all ;)

7. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's something minor, but in my "head canon" is that the manual controls on the 1701 (no bloody A, B, C, or D) was due to the style at the time. Humanity felt distanced from themselves, especially due to extended space travel, and settled on a design aesthetic that was viewed by some as a "throwback" to older eras. And, while they look "dated" to us, they are, in fact, more advanced than what we saw in Enterprise, even if they looked like their technology was more modern than the 23rd century technology.

8. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn skippy!

Phoenix219 likes this.
  9. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Likely because I never felt any emotional connection to any of the characters or events in Enterprise.

The Old Mixer likes this.
  10. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

All shows including TAS and films are canon. Exceptions are STV, Threshold and These are the Voyages. Oh, and the video game A Final Unity is canon, as are the novels including the Destiny Trilogy and it's aftermath.

11. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, if clothing trends and hairstyles from the 1960s and 1980s can come back into vogue in the 23rd and 24th centuries (which explains any real world, now dated-looking clothing styles in my head canon), then so can interior design trends. Nostalgia.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While we're on Beyond spoilers:
    Greg Grunberg's character, named Commander Finnegan on IMBD, is Sean Finnegan. His father married Kirk's mother (hence the reason why we hear Greg's voice in '09, upholding the Trek tradition of antecedents being played by the same actor as their decendents).

Sean, whose mother had custody of him idolized his absent father and was pissed at Jim for treating his father poorly, so he tormented Kirk during their Academy years. After both he and Kirk graduated, Sean looked up his father and discovered that his father was a jerk to the Kirk boys. Seeing his father revealed for who he truly was, Sean regretted his actions, contacted Jim and apologized, and the two agreed to let the whole thing go. They did not acknowledge each other at Yorktown due to Sean's guilt and Jim's memories of being tormented, something he prefers not to dwell on.

In the "Prime" universe, Sean's father knew Kirk's mother before she married and pursued her. She shot him down, something his father kept bringing up, claiming his life would be better if she had not spurned him. Sean felt bad for his father and decided to take it out on Kirk at the Academy.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  13. Rick Sternbach

Rick Sternbach Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the nod; a lot of the tech that we fleshed out beginning with TNG was meant to give everything at least a fighting chance at consistency, and I think it worked out pretty well. Now I should say, however, that I'd be the first one to want to fiddle with "established" tech to help present cool new in-universe ideas and keep people playing with the concepts. For instance, I suggested that folks playing with CG starship designs consider placing the Bussard collectors pretty much anywhere, not just on the fronts of the nacelles. As long as the glowy colors are recognizable and the collector intakes have a clear view of oncoming space, potential burnable fusion fuel or stuff to be later converted to antimatter can be gathered and routed to the engineering hull. The collectors can't collect and instantly drive the ship, so why not put a few pinky-red bits along the rim of a saucer? See, it's fun. :)

Rick

somebuddyX likes this.
  14. The Old Mixer

I was going to give Mike Okuda a shout-out, too, but his name wasn't coming up as a dropdown...don't know if he doesn't have an account here anymore or if he was using a handle I wasn't remembering.

15. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

That's kind of how I thought it would work, without having read anything. The Holodeck is way more sophisticated than we give it credit for, I think. First of all we know it's a defined space, so there are boundaries. Yet one person can be one place and another can be at a place in the program that is quite some distance from the other. I think what's happening here is that the Holodeck is moving the programming with the user and creating fake perspectives, i.e., two people could be facing each other, but all they see are forest (if in a program with a forest). And it manipulates the appearance of real people so that if one person is say a quarter of a mile away on a flat surface, as they approach, the program increases the size of the person, to give it the appearance of having traveled a further distance than the actual size of the Holodeck room. This would also have to manipulate sound, too.

But a real issue is created, once again, by fucking Wesley -- always ruining thinghs.

In that one friggin' episode he gets wet and takes the water out of the Holodeck with him, which we are then told as fasn is because the Holodeck reproduces some substances in real form, like a replicator. That's why that water can leave the Holodeck, but holograms cannot.

So, what happens in a program in a large space, that uses some real substances? How in the world do you manipulate and move it around as two or more people move about. Ii'm not sure it's feasible. Thanks alot, Wesley!

16. Annorax849

Annorax849 Commander Red Shirt

"Fury" and "Living Witness" are not canon.

Fury because otherwise you would have to accept that Janeway knew about Seven, the crew knew about the Delta Flyer, etc. in the past

Living Witness (good episode) because it gives us too much information about the future. Other episodes involve the 26th-31st centuries, but it always involves time travel.

17. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It seems like you might run into that problem with the episode Relativity as well, because of Seven time traveling to a point in the second season, wasn't it?

Fury deserves to not be canon. Total character assassination.

18. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

During WWIII, much of Europe was devastated, including the almost total loss of France, but it was repopulated largely by people from Britain, thus explaining how the Picard family, though nominally French, are thoroughly British in their voice and character.

--Alex

Greg Cox likes this.
  19. The Old Mixer

Ah, WWIII...that's a good bit of head canon for me. AFAIC, the calendar dates given in "Space Seed" are apocryphal. The WWIII that happens in the mid-21st century and the Eugenics Wars are one and the same; the Eastern Coalition was Khan's faction.

Of course, there's no point in getting married to that version of the timeline either, since it will hopefully be contradicted within my lifetime.

20. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

By life, or by Star Trek? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.