What would you like to see a standalone SW movie about?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Candlelight, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Anthony Ingruber as the young Han Solo. I'll accept nobody else in the role!

There was a rumour about a Seven Samurai-style story involving Jedi on a besieged planet. Something like that would be cool. Alternatively, you could make it something of a Dirty Dozen/Suicide Squad type film and feature captured Bounty Hunters or gangsters being held by the Alliance/Resistance in the aftermath of the battle of Endor, being sent to perform a suicide mission against the Empire.

A Boba Fett solo movie could be good if done well. They'd need to give him a proper mission and worthy nemesis.

Keeping with the bad boys, maybe some gangster-type movie among the Hutts or other galactic lowlives? Perhaps the power vacuum left by Jabba's death?

I'd like to see something centring on the last time the Jedi encountered the Sith before the Prequel Trilogy.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

My preference would be a story set in the underworld of smugglers, bounty hunters and gangsters that's only hinted at in the movies and occasionally touched on with the TV shows.
    It doesn't *need* to be a Boba Fett movie or a young Han Solo movie, but from a marketing standpoint those would be the best hooks.

I actually wonder if a Mandolorian Wars story might not work better. With so much of KoTOR's backstory being rooted firmly in some fairly complicated off-screen events, I wonder if it would make more sense if you start with that stuff as it also helps set-up The Exile as well as Revan.

I'd like to see someone take the plot and backstory out of those two games and create a coherent trilogy out of them. I wouldn't worry so much about spoiling the twist since I'm not convinced that'd play well in a movie anyway. You get away with it in a game because it's playing with the old RPG tropes of some random adult with no past suddenly acquiring vast power, a bunch of follower who should be way more experienced than them and becoming a great hero who saves the world.
    In a movie, it's going to be pretty obvious what happened to the great Sith Lord who suddenly disappeared when the protagonist is an amnesiac who has dreams about force choking people.

Unless of course they structure the whole trilogy like 'Memento' and play all the scenes in reverse order...which would be novel but I don't think Star Wars is ready for that. ;)

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure this is kind of what Rogue One, next year's spinoff movie, is going to be like.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah, I suppose so, though I'm not sure that the main characters in RO will be as villainous as I'd been envisaging. Same basic set-up though, come to think of it.

5. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Indeed, I get the impression that 'Rogue One' will be more along the lines of 'The Guns of Navarone' and 'Dambusters' than 'The Dirty Dozen'.
    The forces are rag-tag, but not out-and-out renegades who have to be coerced into doing something heroic.

I suspect finding the Death Star plans will be a surprise bonus of the first battle with the Empire, rather than the whole point of the mission, hence the mad scramble we saw at the start of ANH.

I mean if the plan was all along to get the plans back to Yavin IV & tap Kenobi to help out, sending the same ship to do both jobs is a *really* bad idea, as we saw. If it was planned ahead of time they'd have gotten Kenobi with a much more low-key mission, preferably without a Star Destroyer hot on their arse.

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Was Kenobi even part of the plan? I always took it to be Leia wasn't wanting to involve him at all but the fact they were caught in orbit of Tattooine left her with little choice. She was probably told to leave him where he was (though not told why) given the precious 'cargo' he was protecting.

7. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

"Sheev Wars: Episode I - All About Sheev" when?

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Aren't the prequels enough! :lol:

;)

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

He was part of the plan in the old EU. Leia was to take the Tantive IV to the restricted system of Toprowa, using the Tantive's diplomatic status as a cover. There, she was to contact the Rebels on the surface and receive the transmission of the Death Star plans. From there she was to go to Tatooine and recruit Kenobi.

However, the Darth Vader was waiting for them at Toprowa. The Captain of the Tantive wanted to abort, but Leia deemed this as their one and only shot to stop the Empire and insisted that they stay long enough to receive the transmission. They out ran the Star Destroyer long enough to jump to hyperspace, at which point they were theoretically free to complete their mission to Tatooine. However, the Empire placed a tracker on the Tantive, probably during an earlier encounter on Ralltiir.

The rest, as they say, is history.

*The above is courtesy of the Star Wars Radio Dramas written by the late Brian Daley, episodes two and three "Points of Origin" and "Black Knight, White Princess and Pawns" (1981).

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

When Rogue One comes out we'll learn the truth about how the rebels got the Death Star plans. And the opeing scoll to ANH says that Leia was racing home with the plans, how she wound up at Tatooine is beyond me.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I still don't understand why they couldn't just transmit the data file onto the Holonet or whatever you want to call it. It doesn't matter who intercepts it; the Empire already had the plans and already knew the Rebels had it.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Toprowa was completely quarantined due to Rebel activity.

13. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

According to Tarkin, (the book), the mobile battle station was being built around Geonosis so if the Rebel team were able to get the plans there and then get them to the Tantive while near Tatoonie and that's how it ended up in orbit.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure he was created for ROTS, with his prior appearances in cartoons, video games, etc. being used essentially as promotional material to hype the film.

Notably, The Clone Wars already went to that well, because everyone loves Seven Samurai. ( Or the A-Team. )

15. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Jar Jar prequel

Start with some brisky morning munchin', then move on to boomon' the gasser, and wrap up with crashin' der bosses heybibber.

It writes itself!

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

My top pick for a standalone movie would be something set around the time of Knights of/The Republic. It doesn't necessarily need to follow the games or comics, but I would a movie explore the ancient history of the Star Wars galaxy, with the Jedi and the Sith both at the height of their power.

17. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Vader.

Vader?

Vader!

I want an epic film of Vader being a bad-ass and kicking ass and taking names.

I know it won't happen. I fear the best we'll get is whatever/if any inclusion he has in Rogue One. And with James Earl Jones in his 80s, well, honestly they should have done a Vader film first off just because of age/longevity reasons, you know?

But I fear Disney won't touch the dark side of things as much as they can avoid. Not that I expected some R-rated graphic violence film of Vader disemboweling people, mind you. I'm quite satisfied with the level of his violence in the OT and I'd happily watch a film of him being that badass. But I think Disney is just too timid to do an entire film about the "bad guy" like that, you know?

18. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

It is possible Vader will be in Rogue One. He was the one sent after Leia to get those plans back after the Rebels in Rogue One are suppose to have stole them.

Of course the question comes....who will be in the suit? The last suit they have fits Hayden Christensen.

19. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

All of the ideas so far in this thread are good.
    I think an origin film duology for Yoda and Sidious would be quite magnificent.

Yoda in particular needs some historical "fleshing out." I would like to see what motivated him to defend the Jedi Code so stridently and determinedly, despite a good deal of evidence that rigidly following the Code was detrimental to the Jedi.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind a movie earlier in the timeline with Yoda, but I don't think I'd want an origin story. I think he's more interesting when we don't know his history.
    I wouldn't be against a Sidious origin story though. We already got a Legends origin story for him in Darth Plagueis, so that cat's already been let out of the bag.