What We Left Behind - Documentary Update Confirms *Some* HD Remastering

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Eric Cheung, Apr 13, 2018.

1. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

Oh my...ViacomCBS what are you waiting for!
    I'd preorder the full remastered DS9 series as BluRay or digital download immediately and happily have less/no further PIC episodes.

Qonundrum, DonIago and DS9forever like this.
  2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would too, not to mention my DVD discs are falling apart. Also, I just bought a new 4K TV (And 4K Apple TV) and I really want my favorite Trek series to look great on it.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've said it before, but I'll pony up $500 up front right now for the whole run of DS9 remastered. And I'd probably go higher if need be. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  4. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if select episodes and bits of DS9 could be edited together to produce a series that roughly tells the same story, a bit like what the Breaking Bad 'movie' did, but maybe 3 seasons of 12 episodes instead.

I know it wouldn't be the same and some of the best moments of the show would be lost, but the shorter format would be much more in line with modern streaming habits and it should cost far less for it to be done in HD.

DS9forever likes this.
  5. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'm ready to give if CBS Paramount ask for our help!

Qonundrum and The Nth Doctor like this.
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Yes, probably at or around the 12 million it cost TNG. But if there was money to be gained from doing so with DS9, it would have happened already. That's the disappointing thing about it all. The sales of the TNG Blu Ray sets were not strong enough for Paramount to go forward with DS9.

7. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

The thing with the TNG blu ray, they came out at a horrible time when everything was already moving away from physical media and were completely overpriced. I mean they clearly made money off them and I remember sci-fi in the UK specifically advertising it being shown and then a year or two later, it was on Netflix. I also think DS9 still looks like a good show, the CGI is fine as well and it's not as in dire need of a remaster as TNG. I'd love an HD remake, but they can probably wiat another few years when it'll no doubt be cheaper. They'll do it eventually purely because they can sell it internationally and essentially future proof it.

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  8. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really liked this.

I'm also irritated because the sequel season sounds awesome.

I'm imagining getting the band back together and doing it as STAR TREK: KIRA.

:)

DS9forever likes this.
  9. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG was a steal at its prices, which were far lower than what MSRP was saying. I'd pay the full $120/season given what's going into it. I was floored TNG had such great deals right out of the gate.)

10. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Michael and frankieteardrop like this.
  11. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The documentary is already streaming free, with ads, on IMDb TV. That's in the U.S. — I don't know about the rest of the world.

As I was watching the doc again, I was wondering about the feasibility of doing a sales model similar to classic "Doctor Who" on VHS/DVD or "Star Trek" on VHS — basically on a per-story basis. Generally, I'd say that this model sucks compared to buying entire seasons, but it may be easier to remaster a "best of" series of episodes (especially bottle episodes with limited SFX).

Many of what fans consider to the best of "Deep Space Nine" don't really feature a lot of SFX (e.g. "Duet," "Past Tense," most of "The Visitor" and "Far Beyond the Stars"). Remastering the top 20 or so would be better than nothing at this point.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Personally, I want all or nothing. It's easy to watch the entire show at the same quality level. Having just a handful look different would be a real bummer to me.

DS9forever and The Nth Doctor like this.
  13. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with Tosk on this one.

Having just a handful done would just be a reminder of what could be and us not. And frankly... a tease.

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Trekcore has uploaded screenshots of all the remastered Deep Space Nine footage and I just spent half an hour drooling all over them. By the prophets, the show looks SO gorgeous in high-definition!

Some of the live action footage is still somewhat blurry (I guess because it was filmed this way), and to my eyes some of the color timing seems to be a just little off (for example on some of the shots of Kira's uniform, which I don't remember being that red). But the majority of it is eye-poppingly delicious! I'm noticing stuff I feel I never really was able to see before, like the lush detail on Kai Winn's robe, the two-tone nature of Jadzia's spots, the pattern on the Jem'Hadar's uniform or the fact that in some shots you can almost see Kira's latex nose bridge lifting off her forehead. :lol: Some of the costume and make-up work holds up beautifully, I think, like Gul Dukat's face mask or even just the Starfleet uniform.

And then there's the station itself, which never looked that good before. I mean, look at this. Or this. Or even this!

:wah: Why can't they give us the whole show in high-definition already?!

15. Reyman

Reyman Commander Red Shirt

There is already the TNG episode (Birthright) which starts out on DS9, so the teasing has already taken place. I'd happily take a couple of dozen DS9 remastered episodes right now.

ialfan, RTOlson and Bad Thoughts like this.
  16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It never looked like that because those are CG recreations of the original shots. Not that I'm complaining, it looks great. :)

17. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Ah, interesting! I saw the documentary on the big screen last year but I don't remember what those shots looked like in motion. Here, as still images, they looked like the real deal to me. They did a very good job on those!

Tosk likes this.
  18. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Hell, yeah! Give it to me now!

DS9forever likes this.
  20. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds like it may be awhile before it actually exists, but it will be cool if it gets there. Though I'm a little leery of another round of crowdfunding...