What We Left Behind - Documentary Update Confirms *Some* HD Remastering

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Eric Cheung, Apr 13, 2018.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It was a 9/11 moment--but on June 12, 1994

arch101 likes this.
  2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to laugh at the reviews on Amazon. So many people are complaining about the documentary being political. Certainly, someone can enjoy the show for its action. However, DS9 was political from casting to its stories. I don't know why the documentary should be different.

3. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

BeatleJWOL and Seven of Five like this.
  4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched this the other day and it made me think, do all the haters from the '90s still hate it today? It fits right in with a lot of shows of today.

RedAlert and BeatleJWOL like this.
  5. Computer Voice

Computer Voice Vice Admiral Admiral

Having watched the doc a couple of times, it's inspired me to start a series re-watch for the first time in about 12 years.

The HD scenes are simply amazing, especially so when flicking back to the old DVDs or Netflix.

RedAlert and BeatleJWOL like this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

I'm trying to find some way of understanding the criticisms (such as they are), but it seems that they are hung up on "identity politics" in a way that is very contemporary. Perhaps not every episode was about blackness or homosexuality, but they were there, and at the time, they were a big deal.

BeatleJWOL and Seven of Five like this.
  7. DonIago

Damn millennials... :p

At the NYC premiere we all got station schematic posters, and had the option of having ISB sign them. When I went up I noted that I really appreciated his acknowledging that the show could have done better with regards to sexual identity, and he proceeded to sign my poster with a note saying "One day we'll check all the boxes."

Did I have a really, really good time at the premiere? Yes, yes I did.

8. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

The documentary did touch on some politically charged issues. Behr said he wanted to do more episodes like Rejoined and he wanted Garak to be explicitly homosexual. He is rightly proud that DS9 showed such a positive relationship between a black man and his son. There's also that newsreel clip of Trump in the documentary that, in my view, seemed shoehorned in to generate political relevancy.

I respect the sincerity of Behr's ideals. I think that some fans were surprised that the documentary would look at back at the show and judge it for failing a 2019 politically progressive perspective on some issues. It was the 1990's, it was Star Trek, and you could do one lesbian episode and keep your job. Behr knew that. DS9's legacy is characters and storytelling.

RedAlert, BeatleJWOL, kkt and 2 others like this.
  9. DonIago

I think DS9 is sorta known as "the one with the Black captain" though...

10. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Many said Sisko was the most believable military commander because he had such an air of authority. Avery Brooks was a good choice.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

He was very believable as a military commander and Brooks was a very good choice. Have never understand those who criticize his performance on DSN. I mean just watch this scene:

12. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

From what I've been hearing here and there, no, not all of them do. I've seen posts on this BB saying that they didn't initially like the show or at the least felt indifferent about it but have come around to it. I've always loved it, but I could also understand why at the time it aired, it confused some people and wasn't their cup of tea. It was a VERY different Trek than what we'd had before.

13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I think I just peed a little.

(also did Worf not learn anything from the first time he got chewed out for murder according to Klingon customs??)

The Nth Doctor and kkt like this.
  14. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Given the first time was on Worf's record already, Sisko was pretty light on him. I'm surprised he wasn't reduced in grade, if not dismissed from the service altogether.

15. Bad Thoughts

I'd like to try something, because there is something about the physical media release and I am curious about how people interpret it.

Go look at the menu page in detail. Don't read all the spoilers until you have thought about what you notice.

Ira Steven Behr will periodically walk past the door to Sisko's office.

I think it is fun, in line with the spirit of the documentary. However, I interpreted in a particular way.

Behr was pretending to be Douglas Pabst.

Perhaps that was just coincidental, but when I showed it to my son, ...

... he said that it was the scene from Far Beyond the Stars.

I also asked a friend to look at it. He wrote back, ...

"Interesting. Are we both the dreamer and the dream?"

I can over-interpret something like it's nobody's business, so I was a little taken aback when two other people made the same specific connection. Did anyone else?

DS9forever and kkt like this.
  16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

17. DonIago

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Oh, damn, I forgot I was going to get the digital copy, too, as part of my Indiegogo pledge! Going to download it now!

kkt and DonIago like this.
  19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

20. DonIago