What We Left Behind - Documentary Update Confirms *Some* HD Remastering

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Eric Cheung, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shame that they address Avery’s ‘no-show’ on the longer version but not the backer edition.

From memory, the Shout version doesn’t have the tech/info track that the backer edition has.

IronWaffle and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Is there a date when the blue ray becomes available in the Netherlands?

3. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

According to their Facebook page they are still working on International release dates, though it is live on most iTunes and Google Play stores in Europe as of yesterday to stream/download.

USS Firefly likes this.
  4. IronWaffle

IronWaffle Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t 100% sure but believed it was just the 50 minute “extended” version of he 15 minute discussion. Turns out that was right according to...

Thanks! Yes, that’s what I thought but wasn’t sure. You’re advice is sound and that’s what I’ll do. Need would be a strong word, but in for 3,800 gold pressed pennies in for... man, not sure I need to spend any gold pressed pounds.

Thanks! This is also very handy. Maybe when Apple comes to Roku, Fire, etc. this will make sense for me. This screenshot also helps me back off an impulse buy.

Tosk likes this.
  5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it last night. Best preordered purchase ever. It's very well worth the purchase for any DS9 fan (casual or hardcore), and I'd show it to any Trek fan who hasn't seen any 20th century Trek. The quality of the remastered footage blew me away as well, and I did not expect certain scenes to be included...

6. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazon had my copy waiting on my doorstep this afternoon. Soon as the pizza gets here, will be popping this right into the Blu-ray player.
    The movie that is... not the pizza.

Jayson1 and KennyB like this.
  7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget the Warp Core Breach!

Savage Dragon likes this.
  8. Tosk

Tosk Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also missing the Indiegogo video vault.

Angel4576 and IronWaffle like this.
  9. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, so now I've seen this.

Wow. Great stuff. Public thanks to everyone responsible for this film for reminding me why I love DSN so much!

DS9forever, Angel4576 and DonIago like this.
  10. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

The richness of color inside the station blew me away. But, as a sucker for a good space battle - getting to see the Sacrifice of Angels sequence upgraded was ridiculously fun. I loved how they teased it. Ira was quite happy discussing what he wanted to discuss and then - show the damn space battle! :lol:

11. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I shared a few of those with my wife when we visited The Star Trek Experience in Vegas back in 2007. Very Yummy!

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I had one mini(!) Warp Core Breach when I went and that was enough to make me very happy for the next couple of hours. :beer:

Bad Thoughts likes this.
  13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yeah, they are very strong. That's why I shared a full size one with my wife. Here's a short clip of my buddy enjoying his mini and my wife sipping on our shared one. I really wish that place was still there. It was so fun having a drink at Quark's.

Seven of Five likes this.
  14. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Just watched this today.

What's left behind is a killer cliffhanger. The imagined opener for Season Eight is nothing short of exciting to watch and listen unfold. Love the storyboarding!

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Just watched the Blu-Ray last night. It was interesting. But the real highlights are the HD scenes from DS9. The CGI from “Sacrifice of Angels” in 16:9, the destruction of the USS Odyssey From “The Jem’Hadar” (1:01:21 on the Blu-Ray) (Of course you can tell how great it looks in 16:9 HD since seconds later at 1:01:56 they cut to a upressed shot 4:3 from Voyager’s “Caretaker” Of Voyager leaving DS9 and the D2 Composite Videotape looks horrendous and Voyager even looks washed out, with very little hull detailing, compared to the Odyssey, and the station has a lot of rainbowing around Ops and the finer detailing indicating a Composite Video source). Does the original CGI ever hold up or what? Even in 16:9 it just adds to it (it’s not like the Babylon 5 DVD’s, since those were SD Videotape crops —-it does add the scale, but video quality isn’t there) and looks a lot better than the DVD’s or the Broadcast versions.

Come on CBS, DS9 and Voyager need to be seen in HD!

Jayson1, RedAlert and BeatleJWOL like this.
  16. IMC Headquarters

Yeah, that remastering is...masterful. The colors and depth of black are striking. It just gives solid texture to otherwise flat images. Wow. Just WOW!

I know it's a matter of money and manpower, but DS9 and Voyager seriously need upgrading to HD. I'd love to see "Emissary" and "Caretaker" in full High Definition. Would definitely reinforce how these adventures actually take place in deep space...

RedAlert and BeatleJWOL like this.
  17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is anyone else wondering why the extended writers' room still hasn't been made available?

ialfan likes this.
  18. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

In the remastering The didn’t get the Odyssey destruction quit right. On the DVD after the Jem’Hadar ship crashes into the Odyssey, a piece of the ship flies out and strikes the Odyssey’s nacelle. The ship part is missing on the documentary—-maybe they couldn’t find it. But you do see the Reliant’s nacelle pretty good in HD.

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^I noticed the lack of nacelle-hitting as well.

I hope if a full-blown HD restoration effort was made that it would include those sorts of little touches. The "Sacrifice of Angels" shots, as glorious as they were, seemed to have some inconsistencies with the original material as well.

It's hard to say how much of this sort of stuff constitutes a big deal, especially as that could vary by viewer. The first example bothers me a bit more than the second.

20. IMC Headquarters

I love how Rene Auberjonois wryly commented how he was concerned he would be best remembered in his obituary as Clayton Endicott III from Benson (a show I loved) before he was cast as Odo. I always saw early Odo as an extension of Clayton...perhaps too much exposure to Benson's caustic barbs...