What Song Are You Listening to Right Now

The Ceti Alpha eel may be something of a trifling annoyance if your name is "Chekov" or "Terrell" or "Mrs. Khan", but the following definitely stick in there more:

A timeless classic from a timeless album ("Break Out" (1984, if memory serves)):

The music takes the then-standard synth instruments and gives a quality that, despite its 80s origins, feels timeless and fresh. And I love the costumes, camerawork, and dance moves as the song progresses... but I'm a kid of the 70s/80s. I'm supposed to, right? Well, not always, but not this time - aren't double-negatives cool...

As with most new wave music, there's an undercurrent of sadness or other trait that's at pure polar opposite to the music. A juxtaposition. The upbeat quality, tone, optimism, and sheer joy emanating from this music and tone that counter the facets of strife adumbrated in the lyrics just makes it an all-time great, while telling a real story. One so expansive in scope that anyone can listen to the lyrics and interpret it in a multitude of ways. Forest, meet trees. Trees, meet forest. In either case, neither sees the other and yet they're working toward the same thing in their own way. Why aren't the Pointer Sisters in the R&RHoF?

And now, I'm off to listen to some Billy Joel and Genesis...

Back