What religion/faith are you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by PhaserLightShow, Apr 29, 2016.

?

What Religion are you part of?

1. Atheist

81 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Christian

60 vote(s)
    31.7%
  3. Jewish

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. Muslim

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Mormon

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. Other

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  7. Agnostic

21 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Hindu

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. Buddhist

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

There is this idea of a Boltzmann brain
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boltzmann_brain

Think Fred Phelps with the power of Q.

He gets his though--that's why PREACHER is my fav' TV program now--and The Saint of Killers my hero.

The sad thing is--skeptics don't have a hell for their enemies.

Most unfair.

Hypatia should be living a life of ease now, with the likes of Savonarola and Torquemada having their still living heads on a pike.
    But we don't believe in infinite pushishment for finite sin.

Last night on Coast-to-Coast AM (I know its crap--but it is either that or reg' talk radio) the host was mourning the passing of a guest--who sometimes talked about the afterlife.

But if he really believed that--he would not have wept so bitterly...

PSGarak likes this.
  2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a really enjoyable show. All kinds of clever science fiction and pop culture references, and interesting threads of storyline continuity interwoven throughout the series.

Kor

DonIago likes this.
  3. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Alright, I'll give it a try but to be honest I am not overly impressed by that sample.

4. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

I'm still catching up on the TV series. Loved the graphic novels. I think they've done a great reinterpretation of them. When I first heard they were going to try, I was wondering how in the hell they'd manage. Turns out, they've managed quite well.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Friends and family, okay, but I fail to see a situation where there do not exist steps out. Barring being in prison for life or something. They might be really difficult steps that seem completely overwhelming but they exist.

The point is, work to get back out, maybe you will succeed, maybe you won’t. Wait for a miracle, you’ll be waiting a long time.

6. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I really don't know about rock bottom. I don't think I ever experienced it. I've never been seriously sick, I am lucky I was wise enough not to do destructive things, so I am still in good shape at 59. I have many friends that step up when it's needed though I make sure it almost never happens. I needed friends a couple of months ago for reasons I've already exposed and they were there!! What more can I ask for?

To me aside from being really sick (which is something that could happen to anyone of us), nothing is truly irremediable, In my country at least, I am certain there are countries where things get easily complicated and I think I know which they are. I will never go there, you can be sure of that.

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I found the episode delightfully metaphysical myself. I like the notion that if a higher power exists it would intentionally try to use a "light touch", because a god that routinely performs miracles would foster dependence among its followers, but a god that erred on the other end of the spectrum could cause its followers to lose hope.

8. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

How about a god that doesn't give a sh*t? Like one that doesn't exist for example?

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

An interesting quote:
    https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Alan_Guth

It becomes very tempting to ask whether, in principle, it's possible to create a universe in the laboratory—or a universe in your backyard—by man-made processes.
    • "A Universe in Your Backyard," in Third Culture: Beyond the Scientific Revolution (1996) ed. John Brockman.
    It turns out that the energy of a gravitational field—any gravitational field—is negative. During inflation, as the universe gets bigger and bigger and more and more matter is created, the total energy of matter goes upward by an enormous amount. Meanwhile, however, the energy of gravity becomes more and more negative. The negative gravitational energy cancels the energy in matter, so the total energy of the system remains whatever it was when inflation started—presumably something very small.

It may be that all you need is compression--maybe a single black hole--to bud off a universe. If it can be done in a lab--that argues for a mortal deist approach. Once the universe buds off--you can't get to it to interfere.

10. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

They'd be nothing left of the lab,, the planet, or the solar system after a few days, the local stars after a few years but other than that, it sounds like an interesting experiment.:D

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It would make its own space--not explode into ours.

12. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

So you're saying that it would expand in dimensions perpendicular to ours?

Well, I guess with ten dimensions, there are seven left to choose from...

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

In a documentary--I seem to remember Guth saying that it would be safe.

14. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

Well, there's the brane universe theory, that says that our universe expands only in three dimensions but is extremely thin (thinner than a nuclear particle) in seven additional dimensions. That means that there could be billions of billions of universes a micron away from us but we can't touch them since we're confined to our universe.

15. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

What about Darwin and evolution, people act like its a truth when it's still just a theory. :guffaw:

Armus likes this.
  16. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

In that case, there's no such thing as a truth. Everything is "just a theory". As Descartes pointed out, the only thing that we can know ourselves is that we exist because we think, but that doesn't even allow us to know for sure that other people exist also.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  17. PSGarak

PSGarak Commodore Commodore

Descatres also believed animals and other creatures were clockwork automatons and routinely jabbed knitting needles through living puppies' bodies to "prove" it in the classes he taught.

18. Discofan

Discofan Admiral Admiral

I didn't cite Descartes as a role model. I think he was an asshole and in many ways, a fraud but even a broken clock is right twice a day. I just said that his "cogito ergo sum" was spot on, though little else I am afraid.

If you want to "get me" then throw dirt on Baruch Spinoza. Him I like!

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, isn't that the point? That you wouldn't know whether god existed?

20. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

Ah, getting to look back at someone of 400 plus years ago and pass judgement on them. A favorite past time of many today.
    At the time I'm sure he was cutting edge and innovative, probably considered a genius.

Armus likes this.