What if the new Section 31 series...

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Timofnine, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

...doesn’t take place in the 23rd century? What if Georgio goes back to the 24th after season 3 of discovery and works alongside Bashir and other established section 31 characters? What if she stays in the ‘season 3’ far future, rebuilding section 31 to help the future federation rebuild?

What is making everyone assume this Discovery spin off is set in the same time period as Discovery series 1 and 2?

Playing it’s card right... I think that this spinoff could be something totally awesome and different if it goes in one of these directions!

2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think your option 2 (staying in the far future) actually seems more likely. But, certainly anything is possible!

3. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

After the jump, it’s less likely any show will take place in 22nd century, except hopefully Pike show. So place your bets which century she will land in. Or maybe... all of them ;)...

Seven of Five likes this.
  4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

For me it's mostly because the debriefing scene in Disco's finale seems to specifically be setting up for the Section 31 series when they name Tyler the new director of Section 31.

F. King Daniel and Tuskin38 like this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I don’t really care, because I hate Section 31.

Mr. Laser Beam, J.D. and Longinus like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe I’m just weird, but I don’t see the point in posts like this. Why say anything at all if you don’t care? It adds nothing to the conversation.

I don’t go into threads about things I don’t like just to say I don’t like it and nothing else.

It seems rude to me.

Sorry for the derail. That was rude of me. It just grinds my gears.

this was my feeling as well.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Blooded, Midquest and antinoos like this.
  7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Well, if you’re so inclined, feel free to do a search of my posts where I actually talk about why I don’t like Section 31. I didn’t cut and paste it here simply because I didn’t feel a need to do so.

8. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked 31 before, but they made it too silly in Disco to even care about it now. Never thought I'd lose all interest in them, but I did.

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be interesting to see that relationship play out.

10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

funny, i thought discovery (and star trek into darkness a little) made section 31 feel less silly. i never bought these guys would run around in matching leather outfits like they did in DS9 and enterprise, that always felt silly to me.

Midquest, PT109, urbandk and 2 others like this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

my suspicion is Section 31 becomes the Phase 2 of its time, a show that almost but not quite never gets made. Maybe it leads to a good movie. Everyone wants a Pike series and they're doing their best to at least keep the want alive.

12. fireproof78

Same here. I personally still think that S31 becomes less and less influential over time, resulting in a more silly presentation. Part of keeping their foes off balance since its hard to belief them as credible until they act.

pst likes this.
  13. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

reasonable.

i appreciated that discovery gave a couple individuals in section 31 credible motivations and behavior. both leland and gant (control in disguise as gant anyway) seem more like starfleet officers as we’ve come to understand them, just operating in that moral gray area. i also appreciated that we got a little bit better understanding of their fleet, their hierarchy, and relationship with starfleet. even if those last two are still mostly unclear, at least it’s a little clearer than it’s been.

discovery’s section 31 was obviously a different take, but i found it a more believable, interesting one than their DS9 and enterprise counterparts.

fireproof78 likes this.
  14. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not about the costumes. A top secret organization that captains don't know of before or after, and that doesn't officially exist, was hiding for 200 years, and only exposes itself to people when they recruit them, should not be dancing around in front of everyone waving badges.

SiddFinch1 and pst like this.
  15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

no it's not about costumes, but that was the first silly thing about OG section 31 that came to mind.

it's clear that in the 2250s, section 31 operates a lot differently than it does 100 years later. ie waving badges, having an identifiable, but limited fleet, even a base of operations.

16. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I still want a Pike show before S31.....

17. fireproof78

Yeah. It's a weird complaint to me that somehow S31 could never change its mode of operations in 100 years. I mean, we all know 100 years is a really short period of time.

NewHeavensNewEarth, pst and Tuskin38 like this.
  18. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that it's unlikely we'll ever see a 22nd century show again. Not even a Pike show would be set in the 22nd century. Unless there is some more time travel involved, and Pike finds himself fighting the Temporal Cold War alongside President Archer.

19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Personally, I hope someday They do the first Romulan Wars in a series taking place back then.

20. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

eh if the short treks keep going strong, they could start telling stories in other centuries. hey, even the starfleet academy series (if it’s still happening) could be set in the 22nd century. that would certainly be a way of keeping costs down for an earthbound show like that.