What if the Enterprise has a female captain?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Bend Cat Blue, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Joemac

Joemac Lieutenant Red Shirt

how about B'Ellanna torres/paris for captain of the enterprise. i think she's got flair,anger,stubboness and daring.so what if she breaks a few noses in the process

3. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

It would have royally rocked. For the simple reasons that it would not have been Janeway, and TNG had the best writers of any Trek ever.

Picard was perfect for the 1701-D, and I'm glad we got him, but if ANY Trek series could earn my trust and faith to do a female Captain right, it's TNG, hands down.

4. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Beyond that it would mean no Picard. :eek:

5. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

^ No Picard woulda been a major disappointment for me. He's much different than the other Trek captains and by far my favorite.

6. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Agreed, Gary7. Rachel Garrett was a commanding presence, and so freaking hot! Wish they had cast that actress, Tricia Neal, as Janeway in VOY. She had the most adorable lips, esp. when she pursed them tensely! -- RR

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Or maybe just no Patrick Stewart. The things that a Jeannine Picard could do arent different than a Jean-Luc Picard.

8. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Eh, sorry, I like Picard just the way he is. Feel free to replace Archer with a female Captain, or Janeway with a better female captain, or to create a sixth series with a female captain, or to remake TNG (like nBSG) with a female captain, but Picard stays where he is. :lol:

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It's still Picard, just played by a different actor. The Picard played by Patrick Stewart would not exist.

10. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

Yeah, and I'm very fond of Picard as portrayed by Patrick Stewart and have no interest in rolling the hypothetical dice on the off-chance that another actor (male or female) could've done a better job with the character. If one were to remake TNG there'd of necessity be a recast regardless, in that case I'd have no issue with Jeanine Picard. :)

11. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Female captains? Maybe as a guest shot, but not in the lead.

My guess is because it is still difficult in our culture for women to find the line between maintaining their feminity and then having to assert power and authority in a command position. It's an issue I struggle with.

Perhaps if there was a writer that could clearly portray that internal conflict and then write episodes showing possible solutions...maybe.

12. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I am hoping and praying that within a few decades there won't be any internal conflict (I'll probably be dead before then, but I'm hoping it's not too far off). So while I appreciate what you're saying, Anji, I'd rather Trek not deal with this as part of its plots. It would be anachronistic - like having Trek characters worry about race relations or something.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Although I like Picard as captain, I think I would have also liked a female captain in TNG as well. We've already got Riker as "the man of action" leading the away teams, so a "Captain Jeanette-Marie Piquette" would have been perfect delegating authority on the bridge just as Picard did, IMO...

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? It would go to show how little Voyager cared about its characters, if at that late stage of the game they could be given sex changes without changing anything.

15. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Here's the report you wanted, Captain."

"Ensign Kim? Weren't you a man last week?"

"Not that I can recall, sir."

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral